Judges forces defendant to decrypt laptop

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
This is going to SCOTUS, and I hope the government looses.

A judge in Colorado yesterday ordered a defendant to decrypt her laptop's hard drive at the prosecution's request, adding new fire to the ongoing debate surrounding consumer technology and the Fifth Amendment. The defendant, Ramona Fricosu, is facing charges of bank fraud, stemming from a federal investigation launched in 2010. As part of this investigation, federal authorities used a search warrant to seize her Toshiba Satellite M305 laptop. Fricosu's legal team had previously refused to decrypt the computer, on the grounds that doing so would violate her Fifth Amendment rights to avoid self-incrimination. On Monday, though, US District Judge Robert Blackburn ruled against the defendant, arguing that the prosecution retained the right to access her device, as stipulated under the All Writs Act -- a law that requires mobile operators to comply with federal surveillance.

Judge forces defendant to decrypt laptop, fuels debate over Fifth Amendment rights -- Engadget

A judge in Colorado yesterday ordered a defendant to decrypt her laptop's hard drive at the prosecution's request, adding new fire to the ongoing debate surrounding consumer technology and the Fifth Amendment. The defendant, Ramona Fricosu, is facing charges of bank fraud, stemming from a federal investigation launched in 2010. As part of this investigation, federal authorities used a search warrant to seize her Toshiba Satellite M305 laptop. Fricosu's legal team had previously refused to decrypt the computer, on the grounds that doing so would violate her Fifth Amendment rights to avoid self-incrimination. On Monday, though, US District Judge Robert Blackburn ruled against the defendant, arguing that the prosecution retained the right to access her device, as stipulated under the All Writs Act -- a law that requires mobile operators to comply with federal surveillance.

Judge forces defendant to decrypt laptop, fuels debate over Fifth Amendment rights -- Engadget

We need to see the applicable wording of the All Writs Act. Clearly, the feds have a right to have seized her laptop - they had a warrant. At first glance, it would seem that forcing her to decrypt the laptop would be a violation of her 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination. That right may be trumped by the All Writs Act, however - unless, of course, The Supremes find that the applicable provions of the AWA are themselves unconstitutional.

But wait a second - that would mean The Supremes would have to make a ruling that favored persons charged with crimes. Not likely.

We need to see the applicable wording of the All Writs Act. Clearly, the feds have a right to have seized her laptop - they had a warrant. At first glance, it would seem that forcing her to decrypt the laptop would be a violation of her 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination. That right may be trumped by the All Writs Act, however - unless, of course, The Supremes find that the applicable provions of the AWA are themselves unconstitutional.

But wait a second - that would mean The Supremes would have to make a ruling that favored persons charged with crimes. Not likely.

the court has generally defined "self incrimination" pretty narrowly. it's not that the AWA would "trump" the Fifth Amendment, since legally no statute *could* trump the constitution. But they can continue to narrowly define the right....which I would fully expect them to do, as you noted.

its legally obtained evidence.

If they had taken a DVD player with a DVD in it that incriminated her it would be the same dont you think?

Its a possesion that contains possible incriminating evidence.

Its not her brain.

the court has generally defined "self incrimination" pretty narrowly. it's not that the AWA would "trump" the Fifth Amendment, since legally no statute *could* trump the constitution. But they can continue to narrowly define the right....which I would fully expect them to do, as you noted.

I agree with both you and TM on this. I misspoke when I said that a statute could trump the 5th (or any) Amendment. (Although, I did leave myself somewhat of an out by noting that the statute would govern unless the Supremes found it unconstitutional.)

When one considers the trend in the appellate courts over the years regarding forcing defendants to turn over evidence, I suspect that the feds are gong to win this one. Defendants can be forced to provide blood samples, hair samples and other items of evidence that can well be incriminating. The argument there is that the 5th only protects "testimonial" evidence, rather than real or physical evidence. Not too much of a stretch to ooze over into other things defendant's can be forced to provide that border on testimonial evidence. What they usually do is approach the issue from an entirely different angle.

Believe me - the pendulum is WELL to the right when it comes to rights of the accused.

Last edited:

I actually found out from another source that they granted her immunity, so the 5th doesn't apply. My guess is that this decision will hold up, but I still object to people being forced to decrypt anything just to make it easier for the government to prosecute them.

If they had taken a DVD player with a DVD in it that incriminated her it would be the same dont you think?

Its not her brain.

No. A computer can contain all sorts of things that are actually irrelevant to the prosecution, it is more like them going into your house and taking your diary and/or journal.

I agree with both you and TM on this. I misspoke when I said that a statute could trump the 5th (or any) Amendment. (Although, I did leave myself somewhat of an out by noting that the statute would govern unless the Supremes found it unconstitutional.)

When one considers the trend in the appellate courts over the years regarding forcing defendants to turn over evidence, I suspect that the feds are gong to win this one. Defendants can be forced to provide blood samples, hair samples and other items of evidence that can well be incriminating. The argument there is that the 5th only protects "testimonial" evidence, rather than real or physical evidence. Not too much of a stretch to ooze over into other things defendant's can be forced to provide that border on testimonial evidence. What they usually do is approach the issue from an entirely different angle.

Believe me - the pendulum is WELL to the right when it comes to rights of the accused.

I have high hopes for Sotomayor, she actually seems to hold privacy sacred, and understands how technology can easily be used to accomplish things that were unthinkable a few years ago.

I have high hopes for Sotomayor, she actually seems to hold privacy sacred, and understands how technology can easily be used to accomplish things that were unthinkable a few years ago.

sotomayor is a "law and order' type. but you can keep hoping.

Its not her brain.

No. A computer can contain all sorts of things that are actually irrelevant to the prosecution, it is more like them going into your house and taking your diary and/or journal.

which they'd be allowed to search if they had a warrant to do so.

same as here.

that's a fair assessment of the status of the law. the cases tend to favor governmental action in both civil and criminal areas of the law. and as you note, that's only been more evident as time has passed.

well, except when it comes to corporations.

You should check out her opinion in Jones.

Its not her brain.

which they'd be allowed to search if they had a warrant to do so.

same as here.

If they have a warrant for the contents of the laptop they can search it without her cooperation.

Its not her brain.

The encryption password is in her brain.

If a judge, QWB, gives warrant for diaries, laptops, other forms of communication to be seized, and prosecution finds the laptop encrypted and the diaries in code, does the 5th protect that privacy?

Where is the difference whether encrypted/cypher and plain text? Does an accused have the right to hide in an object specified in a warrant?

I am not picking a quarrel, just your brain. I really don't have an opinion on this yet.

I'm curious as to what penalty she would face if she told them to pound sand.

Probably 6 months jail for contempt, which can be renewed each time time runs out.

I remember a lady spent almost eight years locked up for refusing to give the info a judge wanted.

You should check out her opinion in Jones.

sotomayor is a big 1st amendment proponent. she almost never infringes on speech.

but... this from the comments about her from the bar when she was nominated to the high court:

In a conference call, Alliance for Justice Legal Director William Youmans called the former prosecutor "a strong law-and-order judge," adding that she is "attentive, at times, to the rights of the criminal defendant."

Conversely, Grossman said that during her 2nd Circuit confirmation hearings, Sotomayor was criticized for giving sentences that "consistently hit the lower end" of federal guidelines.

In a memo, Wendy E. Long, counsel for the conservative Judicial Confirmation Network, calls the nominee a "soft-on-crime judge who twists the law ... and avoids binding precedent."

The Congressional Research Service pointed out that Sotomayor has sided with both the government and defendants. Overall, the agency thought her criminal law record shows a strict adherence to precedent.

Judging the judge: groups weigh in on Sotomayor

If a judge, QWB, gives warrant for diaries, laptops, other forms of communication to be seized, and prosecution finds the laptop encrypted and the diaries in code, does the 5th protect that privacy?

Where is the difference whether encrypted/cypher and plain text? Does an accused have the right to hide in an object specified in a warrant?

I am not picking a quarrel, just your brain. I really don't have an opinion on this yet.

Encrypted text takes a password that resides inside someone's brain, unencrypted data doesn't. One requires a person to speak, which violates the right to remain silent, the other doesn't.

If the police obtain a warrant to search your house for a gun, and you know it is in your office, you are under no obligation to tell them that. Nor are you required to tell them where to find it if it is actually in your house, and if they fail to find it after serving the warrant you are not obligated to tell them where they failed to look.

I do not know of any legal precedent where anyone was ever forced to decode something if the police obtained it in a warrant. In a previous case where the government alleged a laptop contained child pornography the judge ruled the defendant did not have to provide a password.

I think this case will actually stand because the government is giving her immunity for anything they find as a result of the search. That actually protects her against self incrimination, but it is entirely possible she forgot the password. I know I would.

Forum List

Back