Judge's Costume Sparks Racial Slur Debate

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
** I think this was a bit distasteful. But, I don't see how his position as a judge should come into play. I know what the law says, but I disagree with it. **

HOUMA, La. -- The local black community in Houma is questioning the impartiality of a white judge after word spread that his Halloween costume made him look like a black prison inmate.

State District Judge Timothy Ellender said he intended neither insult nor harm when he appeared at a restaurant in an Afro wig, black face makeup, an orange prison jumpsuit, and shackles around his wrists and ankles.

Jerome Boykin, president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored Peoples' Terrebonne Parish branch, called the getup an outrageous and distasteful demonstration of racial insensitivity not befitting a judge.

Ellender has agreed to meet with Boykin and other leaders this week to discuss the matter, but the local NAACP Executive Committee is also discussing whether a formal complaint should be made to Louisiana's Judiciary Commission, which has the power to admonish, censure and even dismiss judges found in violation of the states judicial code of conduct.

A broad code provision requires that judges behave at all times in a manner that promotes public confidence in the judicial system's fairness and the dignity of their office, even when off the bench.

Terrebonne Parish's chief judge, Johnny Walker, said he has not received a formal complaint but that if he did, a referral would be made to the commission because he has no supervisory powers over his fellow judges.

http://www.theneworleanschannel.com/news/2629557/detail.html

umm, well maybe wrong, but for some reason I couldn't help but laugh about this! you know how it is when kids dress up as cops with a PIG nose, well, kinda the same here, only a judge dressing up as a black convict! heheheheheheheh! sorry, I couldn't help but laugh at this!

Forum List

Back