judge to Occupy Boston: screw!

$12.05.11news-madden-occupy-dc-structure-edit.jpg

$largest.jpg

More pics.

The roof structure is a truss arrangement, it needs no studs to support the gable end and it does not seem to be finished, carpenters frequently leave a wall open until the last minute to make it easier to bring materials inside.

Not a truss, that's merely a triangle. To get the strength of a truss you would need at least two more internal braces to give it the rigidity you need. That is a flexi flyer they've made. Any kind of load and it would flex inwards then collapse as the stresses built up on the joints.

Shhhhh. He says he knows what he is talking about.

I wonder what he thinks of the 2x6 header.

He reminds me of the guy who one time I told him he was crazy for wanting to use 2x4's for his joists for his deck.

"But they're cheaper" he said. :lol:

Been Working in and around Construction my whole life. Them definitely ain't Trusses. The thing would most likely hold hits own weight ok, But any Wind, Snow, or other kind of Load and she is done. :)

What in the hell was their Plan with those walls leaning out like that? What was there some Law that said no more than x by y Dimensions, Measured at the base? lol They figured they would stick it to the man by Gaining all the extra space by leaning the wall out, while staying with in the permitted Foot Print maybe? lol Funny shit.

Last edited:
They obviously meant to close off the end walls, That alone would provide sufficient sheer strength to keep it up under any conditions it would be likely to encounter. However were it empty and not tied down it would roll over in a high wind but it would remain fairly intact. The roof structure has sufficient triangular bracing to keep it's shape and a steep enough pitch to shed heavy snow, also any source of heat would melt the snow off of an uninsulated roof. I cannot tell from the picture but i also suspect it was partially prefabricated and put together with screws. If it was screwed together it was not going anywhere under any circumstances.

You know how I know you haven't built anything?

You don't leave an opening that big and then close it off later if you were intending to have it framed and sided from the get-go. It's easier to actually frame it out while you are going, even for people who have never done it before.

No, that opening was left on purpose. And if you think they were going to cover it with OSB....OSB can't handle a load.

Please quit trying to make yourself look foolish, I know exactly what I am talking about.

i'm not sure how to break this to you, but your avatar is dead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/08/a...-dragnet-actor-dies-at-96.html?ref=obituaries

Harry Morgan, the prolific character actor best known for playing the acerbic but kindly Colonel Potter in the long-running television series “M*A*S*H,” died on Wednesday morning at his home in Los Angeles. He was 96.

His son Charles confirmed his death, saying Mr. Morgan had been treated for pneumonia recently.

my condolences to you and his family.

Not a truss, that's merely a triangle. To get the strength of a truss you would need at least two more internal braces to give it the rigidity you need. That is a flexi flyer they've made. Any kind of load and it would flex inwards then collapse as the stresses built up on the joints.

He reminds me of the guy who one time I told him he was crazy for wanting to use 2x4's for his joists for his deck.

Been Working in and around Construction my whole life. Them definitely ain't Trusses. The thing would most likely hold hits own weight ok, But any Wind, Snow, or other kind of Load and she is done. :)

Yeah, it would hold its own weight.

I heard that they get something called "snow" in DC....

Last edited:
The roof structure is a truss arrangement, it needs no studs to support the gable end and it does not seem to be finished, carpenters frequently leave a wall open until the last minute to make it easier to bring materials inside.

What's the matter? You cannot conceive that there might be a few out of work carpenters among the worthless hippies? Would it last for 20 years? Probably not, but it would last through the winter. Jeeze you people pick some silly shit to argue about and I can't believe I was sucked into it.

so aslong as Im camping for political reasons, I can camp anywhere I want? Do I need a threshold of people camping with me, or is this an individual right?

Oh, so you typically leave an 8ft opening that serves no purpose when you intend to close it off later?

The only foolish one here is you, saying that they intended to close off their "garage".

While I completely agree with you that an 8ft opening serves no purpose when you intend to close it off, we are talking about the Occupy Wall Street people. They could seriously just be that foolish.

Oh, so you typically leave an 8ft opening that serves no purpose when you intend to close it off later?

The only foolish one here is you, saying that they intended to close off their "garage".

While I completely agree with you that an 8ft opening serves no purpose when you intend to close it off, we are talking about the Occupy Wall Street people. They could seriously just be that foolish.

Perhaps they planned some nice Triple Pain Sliders? Why I could sell them some! :)

What in the hell was their Plan with those walls leaning out like that? What was there some Law that said no more than x by y Dimensions, Measured at the base? lol They figured they would stick it to the man by Gaining all the extra space by leaning the wall out, while staying with in the permitted Foot Print maybe? lol Funny shit.

Maybe their math professors in the uni were of the same high caliber as Obama's economics professors?

What's the matter? You cannot conceive that there might be a few out of work carpenters among the worthless hippies? Would it last for 20 years? Probably not, but it would last through the winter. Jeeze you people pick some silly shit to argue about and I can't believe I was sucked into it.

if they built that, then we know why they are out of work....

The judge goes on to say: “ ‘Occupation’ speaks of boldness, outrage, and a willingness to take personal risk but it does not carry the plaintiffs’ professed message. Essentially, it is viewed as a hostile act, an assertion of possession against the rights of another."

:clap2:

Yes, we have "those" kinds of buildings around here too. The first good wind that comes along and they disappear. Kind of fun to watch though!

if they built that, then we know why they are out of work....

One more, here is a news clip on the incident:

PressTV - US police arrest 31, raze Occupy shelter

This was a fairly substantial thing they say was designed by an architect. Can't even give them credit for being able to drive a damned nail, that's bad. There are a lot of very good construction people out of work or very slow, I know a bunch of them, some of them are pretty pissed about that housing bubble thing.

Maybe the Prez will put them on his plan and they can Occupy Oahu together.

Has there ever been a bigger joke in the White House.

I think Lefties today have forgotten what Civil Disobedience is. Their Parents in the 60's knew. It is a form of Protesting, You intentionally break a Law you think unjust, or occupy a place against the law. Knowing full well you may be arrested, or even maced. Lefties today seem to think they should have the right to Participate in acts of Civil Disobedience, like occupying a park for Weeks, Refusing to Disperse when a the Police order you to, and not have to pay the Consequences for it. Just more of the Instant Gratification, Entitlement Mentality of the Youngest Generations among us.

They want it all, College Education, the Great Job, 2 Cars, House in the Burbs, and they don't think they should have to work to get it. They want a free ride in School, and the Big bucks day one when they start their First Job. Not surprising then that so many of them buy the BS line that the so call 1%, which is more like 20% when your talking about who obama wants to tax more, The very people who pay 80% of the Entire Federal Income Tax Burden, are not paying their Fair Share. The Believe the lie that if we just tax them 3% more we will have enough money to fix everything.

Truth is even if we Taxed all their Wealth Instead of just their Annual Incomes, it would not even come close to putting a dent in our Problems. The math just isn't there. Besides we get 55% of everything they own when they die anyways, Which of course Liberals fail to count when they say the Rich don't pay their Fair share.

Imagine, occupation is not speech but money is. Pacs and individuals can spend unlimited money to influence our politics but they are putting limits on speech when it comes to the only way to counter the big money.

Money is property. Money occupies TV, Radio, Telephone, Mail Boxes, Internet & Computer Screens. Money is not free speech.

Last edited:
Imagine, occupation is not speech but money is. Pacs and individuals can spend unlimited money to influence our politics but they are putting limits on speech when it comes to the only way to counter the big money.

Money is property. Money occupies TV, Radio, Telephone, Mail Boxes, Internet & Computer Screens. Money is not free speech.

Where were you when the SCOTUS specifically said that money is speech last year? Keep up.

Where were you when the SCOTUS specifically said that money is speech last year? Keep up.

2002 McCain-Feingold campaign-finance reform law limits corporate money influence.

Forum List

Back