judge to Occupy Boston: screw!

del

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2008
on a one way cul-de-sac
"The judge wrote in her 25-page decision that protesters had no right to seize Dewey Square, which they have occupied since Sept. 30.

She reasoned that “while Occupy Boston protesters may be exercising their expressive rights during their protest, they have no privilege under the First Amendment to seize and hold the land on which they sit.”

Drawing a distinction between the “occupation” of the land and the “living activities” on the land, McIntyre wrote, “The act of occupation, this court has determined as a matter of law, is not speech. Nor is it immune from criminal prosecution for trespass or other crimes.”

Judge rules against Occupy Boston protesters, clearing way for eviction; Mayor Menino urges them to leave - Metro Desk - Local news updates from The Boston Globe

about fucking time

occ-cops-WS.jpg

The judge is correct.

This could go to the Supreme Court

No it won't. OWS should never have been allowed to do what it has been doing so far. Permitting this insanity to continue opens the door for any other group to do the same thing.

This ruling could have a very big impact on the OWS Movement. They are also costing many local Governments so much money. Many of these local Governments were already skating on thin ice. OWS has now sunk them below the ice. Many will be deciding to lay off essential emergency employees as a result. I read about this already happening in Austin,Tx. The Taxpayer costs have been enormous with these OWS protests. I think many really are tired of them. I think they've over-stayed their welcome at this point.

This ruling could have a very big impact on the OWS Movement. They are also costing many local Governments so much money. Many of these local Governments were already skating on thin ice. OWS has now sunk them below the ice. Many will be deciding to lay off essential emergency employees as a result. I read about this already happening in Austin,Tx. The Taxpayer costs have been enormous with these OWS protests. I think many really are tired of them. I think they've over-stayed their welcome at this point.

The ruling doesnt hold precedent in any other state. Although the other states can look to this for support of their own precedent.

We want wouldn't people protesting and doing something radical like going across the atlantic and starting a whole new country under a republic form of government. I mean that would be just crazy!

We want wouldn't people protesting and doing something radical like going across the atlantic and starting a whole new country under a republic form of government. I mean that would be just crazy!

I don't think most of us would mind if the Occupy squatt....I mean protestors decided to leave :thup:

Wait till Officer Crowley gets there! Then they'll be sorry!!

wait til you see what's left of the green way! then you'll be sorry.

can i see you on the porch, please?

It won't be any more of a mess than Copley Square is after some stupid Celtics Victory Parade or the Marathon.

Last edited:
Imagine, occupation is not speech but money is. Pacs and individuals can spend unlimited money to influence our politics but they are putting limits on speech when it comes to the only way to counter the big money.

"The judge wrote in her 25-page decision that protesters had no right to seize Dewey Square, which they have occupied since Sept. 30.

She reasoned that “while Occupy Boston protesters may be exercising their expressive rights during their protest, they have no privilege under the First Amendment to seize and hold the land on which they sit.”

Drawing a distinction between the “occupation” of the land and the “living activities” on the land, McIntyre wrote, “The act of occupation, this court has determined as a matter of law, is not speech. Nor is it immune from criminal prosecution for trespass or other crimes.”

Judge rules against Occupy Boston protesters, clearing way for eviction; Mayor Menino urges them to leave - Metro Desk - Local news updates from The Boston Globe

about fucking time

More good news.....people coming to their senses finally.

I drove by Keiner Plaza in St. Louis yesterday while it was snowing, and not a single occupier was there. Even though Mayor Slay is letting them stay.

It dawned on the city authorities that if they let OWS stay, they would have to let every other group stay too. Gangs, the KKK, American Nazi Party, every other group would have rights to camp out on public property.

Forum List

Back