Judge sides with Obama, says store must take down porch

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Not to worry though, these regulations are not going to hurt any businesses.

U.S. District Judge Wiley Daniel ruled today that the center front entrances of the Hollister stores at Park Meadows Mall and the Orchard Town Center mall violate the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The ruling followed extensive litigation dating back to 2009 when five people who use wheelchairs and the Colorado Cross-Disability Coalition filed a lawsuit claiming they were discriminated against because Hollister Co. stores had porch-like entrances with steps that prevented them getting through the main entrance.
Hollister, a brand by Abercrombie & Fitch Co., said it didn't violate the ADA because it had side entrances where people using wheelchairs could enter.
Specifically the company said it provides accessible
Park Meadows Hollister (US District Court | exhibit)

entry doors at the front of the stores in the form of automatics doors located in close proximity to the porch. In addition, it claimed that these entry doors are not "segregated" or separate and are used by the general public.

Judge: Hollister violated the rights of customers in wheelchairs - The Denver Post

I believe that when it comes to rehabilitaring older buildings, if access is provided, even if that access is somewhat inconvenient, that ought to be good enough.

Now when it comes to NEW building, then access for wheel chairs ought to be MAINSTREAM.

But destroying the architectural design of great old building is, in my opinion, a crime in itself.

We can find reasonable compromises here.

Obama? This reminds me of the ironic thread talking of liberals and their hyperbole.

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990[1][2] (ADA) is a law that was enacted by the U.S. Congress in 1990. It was signed into law on July 26, 1990, by President George H. W. Bush, and later amended with changes effective January 1, 2009.[3]
~
Title III - Public Accommodations (and Commercial Facilities)See 42 U.S.C. §§ 12181–12189.
Under Title III, no individual may be discriminated against on the basis of disability with regards to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation by any person who owns, leases (or leases to), or operates a place of public accommodation. "Public accommodations" include most places of lodging (such as inns and hotels), recreation, transportation, education, and dining, along with stores, care providers, and places of public displays, among other things.

Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (Public Law 110-325, ADAAA) is an Act of Congress, effective January 1, 2009, that amended the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and other disability nondiscrimination laws at the Federal level of the United States. Passed on September 17, 2008, and signed into law by President George W. Bush on September 25, 2008,
ADA Amendments Act of 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Obama wrote the Americans with Disability Act?

Learn something new every day

I believe that when it comes to rehabilitaring older buildings, if access is provided, even if that access is somewhat inconvenient, that ought to be good enough.

Now when it comes to NEW building, then access for wheel chairs ought to be MAINSTREAM.

But destroying the architectural design of great old building is, in my opinion, a crime in itself.

We can find reasonable compromises here.

Can you explain how having a door on either side of the porch that they are using to build a facade to brand their store is inconvenient? The people in the wheelchairs actually have to travel past those doors in order to get to the porch they are complaining about.

Obama? This reminds me of the ironic thread talking of liberals and their hyperbole.

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990[1][2] (ADA) is a law that was enacted by the U.S. Congress in 1990. It was signed into law on July 26, 1990, by President George H. W. Bush, and later amended with changes effective January 1, 2009.[3]
~
Title III - Public Accommodations (and Commercial Facilities)See 42 U.S.C. §§ 12181–12189.
Under Title III, no individual may be discriminated against on the basis of disability with regards to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation by any person who owns, leases (or leases to), or operates a place of public accommodation. "Public accommodations" include most places of lodging (such as inns and hotels), recreation, transportation, education, and dining, along with stores, care providers, and places of public displays, among other things.

The ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (Public Law 110-325, ADAAA) is an Act of Congress, effective January 1, 2009, that amended the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and other disability nondiscrimination laws at the Federal level of the United States. Passed on September 17, 2008, and signed into law by President George W. Bush on September 25, 2008,

Apparenly you missed the part where the current administration filed a brief in support of the jerks who filed the suit, and argued that the spirit, not the letter, of the ADA actually requires stores to make all access equal in order not to segregate people with disabilities. I am not sure how rolling past a door that is easier to get to actually segregates anyone, especially since most people actually avoid the stairs to use the easier to access ones, but feel free to blame Bush.

~

Apparenly you missed the part where the current administration filed a brief in support of the jerks who filed the suit, and argued that the spirit, not the letter, of the ADA actually requires stores to make all access equal in order not to segregate people with disabilities. I am not sure how rolling past a door that is easier to get to actually segregates anyone, especially since most people actually avoid the stairs to use the easier to access ones, but feel free to blame Bush.

The current administration, I do not think Obama did it as your hyperbole title suggests.
Apparently I read with more understanding than some.
Hyperbole pure and simple.

~

The current administration, I do not think Obama did it as your hyperbole title suggests.
Apparently I read with more understanding than some.
Hyperbole pure and simple.

You think the DOJ still answers to Bush?

Forum List

Back