Judge says he can order abortion for disabled Nevada woman

Lol! A busybody?

The parents said their daughter often left the home to prostitute herself at a local truck stop. You cant say, her parents are her guardians and then absolve them of any culpability if they knew what was happening and did nothing.

If I knew my child was being raped at school and I do nothing, am I guiltless because it happened when she wasn't with me?

Well, apparently, they DIDN'T "do nothing". They put her in a group home for disabled adults.

Where did I say they were guilty?

You said they should be investigated, I want to know why, and the best you can come up with is that you didn't say they were guilty.

They should be investigated because they said their daughter was I the habit of prostituting herself at the local truck stop. If they knew this, and did nothing they ,at the least, should not be her guardians.

Just because she can't raise a child is not a valid reason to force someone to have a medical procedure against the will of their guardians.

The judge wants to further examine the inherent health issues regarding the pregnancy itself.

"Walker says it's "contrary to law" to prevent him from gathering evidence to determine if the abortion should be carried out, The Las Vegas Sun reported. Two medical experts testified last week about the health risks associated with pregnancy, epilepsy and medication. They disagreed on whether the baby should be aborted. Walker asked the high court to let him continue with evidence hearings as early as Tuesday."

Courthouse News Service

You sound kinda like you're jumping to conclusions of culpability, or at least looking for someone, somewhere, to BE culpable of something.

Like I said earlier, sometimes shit just happens, despite your best efforts to keep it from happening.

Lol! A busybody?

The parents said their daughter often left the home to prostitute herself at a local truck stop. You cant say, her parents are her guardians and then absolve them of any culpability if they knew what was happening and did nothing.

If I knew my child was being raped at school and I do nothing, am I guiltless because it happened when she wasn't with me?

Well, apparently, they DIDN'T "do nothing". They put her in a group home for disabled adults.

Yes, but they were apparently aware she was leaving the home and being taken advantage of by strange men. She could have just as easily ended up contracting aids as she did getting pregnant.

Again, I'm not saying they are guilty of anything. For all I know they were in constant contact and filed many complaints with the home. However the state should look into both the home and the parents. It could be a case of no wrongdoing, and this woman simply slipping through the cracks, or not.

Lol! A busybody?

Yes, but they were apparently aware she was leaving the home and being taken advantage of by strange men. She could have just as easily ended up contracting aids as she did getting pregnant.

Again, I'm not saying they are guilty of anything. For all I know they were in constant contact and filed many complaints with the home. However the state should look into both the home and the parents. It could be a case of no wrongdoing, and this woman simply slipping through the cracks, or not.

It's the assumption that they "did nothing" that's the problem here. Nowhere has that been stated, or even implied.

I'm curious to know what you would consider "doing something". Obviously, the woman is difficult to care for, necessitating a care home in the first place. The law prohibits restraint beyond a certain extent. And the thing you are perhaps not considering fully is that, whatever her mental capacity, she's 34 years old.

Any parent in the world can tell you that child with a 6-year-old's mental and physical capacity is a sneaky, ingenious little creature who can rival Harry Houdini's escape artist abilities. I can't even imagine with a person with a 6-year-old's mental capacity and a 34-year-old's physical capacity would be like to try to keep out of trouble.

It's the assumption that they "did nothing" that's the problem here. Nowhere has that been stated, or even implied.

I'm curious to know what you would consider "doing something". Obviously, the woman is difficult to care for, necessitating a care home in the first place. The law prohibits restraint beyond a certain extent. And the thing you are perhaps not considering fully is that, whatever her mental capacity, she's 34 years old.

Any parent in the world can tell you that child with a 6-year-old's mental and physical capacity is a sneaky, ingenious little creature who can rival Harry Houdini's escape artist abilities. I can't even imagine with a person with a 6-year-old's mental capacity and a 34-year-old's physical capacity would be like to try to keep out of trouble.

The "parents" would not be liable in any case. The daughter was in a group home. This discussion has taken a crazy turn.

Now we are talking about Houdini-like magic tricks?

If there is any fault it is the guy at the truck stop, however, this is much like a pig-in-a-poke.

I've read several articles on this case, over two separate threads, almost all of them give the impression that it was known ( by everyone) that this woman liked to leave the home and prostitute herself. So that gives me pause, and makes me think an investigation is in order. It seems reasonable to me, and since the articles said the state was looking into it, I guess I'm not far off.

By "do something" I would mean, complaints to the home, complaints to the state, requests to have her moved to a more secure facility. Really, any effort on the parents and the homes part to keep her from being taken advantage of would be nice.

You said they should be investigated, I want to know why, and the best you can come up with is that you didn't say they were guilty.

They should be investigated because they said their daughter was I the habit of prostituting herself at the local truck stop. If they knew this, and did nothing they ,at the least, should not be her guardians.

If they had chained her to the bed, which is the only thing they could actually do to prevent an adult from going anywhere she wanted, you would be screaming that they committed abuse.

I've read several articles on this case, over two separate threads, almost all of them give the impression that it was known ( by everyone) that this woman liked to leave the home and prostitute herself. So that gives me pause, and makes me think an investigation is in order. It seems reasonable to me, and since the articles said the state was looking into it, I guess I'm not far off.

By "do something" I would mean, complaints to the home, complaints to the state, requests to have her moved to a more secure facility. Really, any effort on the parents and the homes part to keep her from being taken advantage of would be nice.

What evidence do you have that they didn't do any of this?

Just because she can't raise a child is not a valid reason to force someone to have a medical procedure against the will of their guardians.

Her parents have no right to force their religious beliefs upon their daughter. Take away the right to argue in favor of their religion and see what argument they have.

The state has no right to act contrary to their religious beliefs, either.

I thought you pro-death-ers wanted to be called pro-choice. The woman's parents have made their "choice" known. Tough that it is in conflict with yours.

Her parents have no right to force their religious beliefs upon their daughter. Take away the right to argue in favor of their religion and see what argument they have.

The state has no right to act contrary to their religious beliefs, either.

I thought you pro-death-ers wanted to be called pro-choice. The woman's parents have made their "choice" known. Tough that it is in conflict with yours.

When they can't screech about "her choice, her private choice!", they pretty much default to the belief that having a baby is a terrible, undesirable thing, except in very rare, specific cases.

It's pathological, really.

What evidence do you have that they did any of that?

What evidence do you have that they did any of that?

Strangely enough, I don't need any.

How do you get proof? You, investigate.

A crime was committed, suggesting it be investigated to determine possible wrongdoing is not overstepping.

The problem becomes when you assume there was a crime committed without any evidence to suggest it, simply because you think there MUST have been someone culpable.

I could swear I said this earlier.

Forum List

Back