Judge says Arizona's abortion ban can take effect

Conservative

Type 40
Jul 1, 2011
Pennsylvania
i looked around the board, and abortion related threads are everywhere, so I just put this here. Mods, feel free to move if desired.

Judge says Arizona's abortion ban can take effect | Fox News
U.S. District Judge James Teilborg said the statute may prompt a few pregnant women who are considering abortion to make the decision earlier. But he said the law is constitutional because it doesn't prohibit any women from making the decision to end their pregnancies.

The judge also wrote that the state provided "substantial and well-documented" evidence that an unborn child has the capacity to feel pain during an abortion by at least 20 weeks.

While North Carolina has long had a 20-week ban, Nebraska in 2010 was the first state to recently enact one. Five more states followed in 2010: Alabama, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas and Oklahoma.

Along with Arizona, Georgia and Louisiana approved 20-week bans this year, though Georgia's doesn't take effect until 2013.

The Center for Reproductive Rights said none of the 20-week bans have so far been blocked by courts.

discuss

about time judges seen the light and let arizona pass something. hopefully Brewer wont have Obama to kick around much longer.

i looked around the board, and abortion related threads are everywhere, so I just put this here. Mods, feel free to move if desired.

U.S. District Judge James Teilborg said the statute may prompt a few pregnant women who are considering abortion to make the decision earlier. But he said the law is constitutional because it doesn't prohibit any women from making the decision to end their pregnancies.

The judge also wrote that the state provided "substantial and well-documented" evidence that an unborn child has the capacity to feel pain during an abortion by at least 20 weeks.

While North Carolina has long had a 20-week ban, Nebraska in 2010 was the first state to recently enact one. Five more states followed in 2010: Alabama, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas and Oklahoma.

Along with Arizona, Georgia and Louisiana approved 20-week bans this year, though Georgia's doesn't take effect until 2013.

The Center for Reproductive Rights said none of the 20-week bans have so far been blocked by courts.

discuss

When in Doubt a post like this would be current Events I believe.

I think Arizona's Law is a perfectly Reasonable Limitation on Abortion. Gives you 20 weeks to Abort, and allows Exceptions beyond that for Medical Emergencies, Danger to the Life of the Mother situations.

I think the Courts Decision was a no Brainer,

discuss

I think right to lifers will find much greater success and acceptance among everyone with laws such as this one. Personally, I could support a law that banned abortions at 15 to 16 weeks, but that is my cutoff. I do not support an outright ban of abortions, but I also believe that a woman should be able to figure out if she really wants an abortion by this time. And if she hasn't figured out she's pregnant by this point, then too bad.

discuss

how many threads do we need on this topic?

no offense.

discuss

no offense.

Care to link us to other threads on the Arizona law?

discuss

Sweet, I'm glad it passed. 20 weeks, 140 days is plenty of time to make an informed and serious decision on wheather or not a person should abort.

I think the right to abort is very important. Fact is, some people just AREN'T ready and that fact typically causes harm, in one way or another, to their child.

discuss

no offense.
None taken. I search on the following...
AZ, arizona, abortion, law
...and did not see it.

As stated in the OP, please feel free to move, or in this case, merge, as appropriate.

discuss

no offense.
...and did not see it.

As stated in the OP, please feel free to move, or in this case, merge, as appropriate.

nah...i have higher hopes for yours than some of the others.

as for the Arizona law, amniocentesis is performed between the 15th and 20th week of pregnancy. limiting abortion to prior to 20 weeks limites the ability to get tested and have the tests read before a decision would have to be made... which is intentional on the part of the legislature.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ting-baby-a-week-before-its-due-date.htmlWhen do we draw the line?

And why isn't this woman charged with murder?

Mother of two admits aborting baby a week before its due date
A mother of two aborted her own baby just a week before she was due to give birth after taking drugs bought on the internet, a court has heard.

catt_2285324b.jpg

Lets call this what it is murder and why are her two other children allowed in her care?

ETA: hope this link works

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...aborting-baby-a-week-before-its-due-date.html

Last edited:
When do we draw the line?

A mother of two aborted her own baby just a week before she was due to give birth after taking drugs bought on the internet, a court has heard.

catt_2285324b.jpg

lets call this what it is and why are her two other children allowed in her care?

link?

When do we draw the line?

catt_2285324b.jpg

lets call this what it is and why are her two other children allowed in her care?

link?

Apolgies. Thanks for flagging that. I'll go back to my original post on it.

Mother of two admits aborting baby a week before its due date - Telegraph

Every abortion kills a kid who would be raised to be a liberal. So, is it so bad?

As a younger person I supported bans like this. The logic seems to be there to say if you cannot decide in 20 weeks to abort then you should not be allowed an abortion, and to some extent it does make sense.

Then when you actually think about it you realize it actually does not make sense. Think about the mom who makes this decision later in the pregnancy. You have a couple of types.

First you have the idiot. They either cannot decide or do not realize they are pregnant. I have come to the conclusion that punishing an idiot by saddling them with a child is not a good idea even if you consider adoption as an option. If they discovered late they probably have not taken care of themselves during the pregnancy. This means they might have done drugs, failed to give themselves proper nourishment, and endangered the health of their child. Since these women are unprepared and unaware they are not prepared to raise a child, and the child might have many health problems due to this. The mothers that cannot decide are clearly not prepared to deal with 18 years of child care at that moment. There is a reason they cannot decide, and you should probably take that into account too.

Then you have mothers who face a large change of life, most likely from a huge problem of some sort. Perhaps it is divorce, or maybe they had a financial disaster, or for some reason they find themselves changing their mind about their ability to take care of their child. Who is best to know about their change in capabilities or willingness to take care of a child. Is it an arbitrary law that takes nothing into account but the opinions of others who are not in their circumstance and don't even care to know about them, or is it the mother who is dealing with whatever it is? The law is simply not even paying attention to their life, nor does it care to when it sets these arbitrary numbers. In the laws defense, it is not capable of doing so. Life changes and if the mom can no longer deal with it then let her the fuc out.

In the end the law does what most abortion laws do. It tries to punish unwilling, unprepared, or even unable people with a baby. It is just not a good system for dealing with the problems. A child should be a wanted responsibility that prepared people decide to take on. It is not a punishment on women for having sex. It is not a punishment for women who are not responsible with their sexual activity. It is also not a burden society should be saddled with as even the pro-life people are unwilling to care for the born.

I have moved on from abortion restrictions to allowing the choice to be made by the person who is living the choice and not the rest of the people who really are not going to deal with it.

no offense.
...and did not see it.

nah...i have higher hopes for yours than some of the others.

as for the Arizona law, amniocentesis is performed between the 15th and 20th week of pregnancy. limiting abortion to prior to 20 weeks limites the ability to get tested and have the tests read before a decision would have to be made... which is intentional on the part of the legislature.

you imply/state that it is done at 15 & 20 weeks. It is not generally done unless there are extenuating circumstances. In those cases it is done between week 15 and 20, usually in week 16.
Amniocentesis
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/amniocentesis/MY00155/DSECTION=why-its-done

I have come to the conclusion that punishing an idiot by saddling them with a child is not a good idea even if you consider adoption as an option. If they discovered late they probably have not taken care of themselves during the pregnancy.

You think it takes some women over four months to discover that they're pregnant?

The mothers that cannot decide are clearly not prepared to deal with 18 years of child care at that moment.

Ever hear of adoption? People are so desperate to adopt babies that they pay kidnappers to get babies from 3rd-world countries.

In the end the law does what most abortion laws do. It tries to punish unwilling, unprepared, or even unable people with a baby.

Yet, the vast majority of the time liberal shitheads like you are fans of blunt laws, more of the one-size-fits-all laws the better. 90% percent of all new laws restricting liberty are supported by liberals.

As a younger person I supported bans like this. The logic seems to be there to say if you cannot decide in 20 weeks to abort then you should not be allowed an abortion, and to some extent it does make sense.

Then when you actually think about it you realize it actually does not make sense. Think about the mom who makes this decision later in the pregnancy. You have a couple of types.

First you have the idiot. They either cannot decide or do not realize they are pregnant. I have come to the conclusion that punishing an idiot by saddling them with a child is not a good idea even if you consider adoption as an option. If they discovered late they probably have not taken care of themselves during the pregnancy. This means they might have done drugs, failed to give themselves proper nourishment, and endangered the health of their child. Since these women are unprepared and unaware they are not prepared to raise a child, and the child might have many health problems due to this. The mothers that cannot decide are clearly not prepared to deal with 18 years of child care at that moment. There is a reason they cannot decide, and you should probably take that into account too.

Then you have mothers who face a large change of life, most likely from a huge problem of some sort. Perhaps it is divorce, or maybe they had a financial disaster, or for some reason they find themselves changing their mind about their ability to take care of their child. Who is best to know about their change in capabilities or willingness to take care of a child. Is it an arbitrary law that takes nothing into account but the opinions of others who are not in their circumstance and don't even care to know about them, or is it the mother who is dealing with whatever it is? The law is simply not even paying attention to their life, nor does it care to when it sets these arbitrary numbers. In the laws defense, it is not capable of doing so. Life changes and if the mom can no longer deal with it then let her the fuc out.

In the end the law does what most abortion laws do. It tries to punish unwilling, unprepared, or even unable people with a baby. It is just not a good system for dealing with the problems. A child should be a wanted responsibility that prepared people decide to take on. It is not a punishment on women for having sex. It is not a punishment for women who are not responsible with their sexual activity. It is also not a burden society should be saddled with as even the pro-life people are unwilling to care for the born.

I have moved on from abortion restrictions to allowing the choice to be made by the person who is living the choice and not the rest of the people who really are not going to deal with it.

what if said choice is released upon the public? are we allowed to not pay if the baby becomes the WARD of the state? Should we not DEAL with it like u wish to determine for the rest of us? Since u are going to make our choices and already know we will NOT have to deal with it. Much lik ehte left who use the defense "ur obeseity is causing all of us to pay for ur medical bills" if hte child becomes the states burden will u ante up more for it?

I am a pro lifer and like the left uses "we are all in this together" but i guess thats more of a pick and choose slogan.

I have come to the conclusion that punishing an idiot by saddling them with a child is not a good idea even if you consider adoption as an option. If they discovered late they probably have not taken care of themselves during the pregnancy.

You think it takes some women over four months to discover that they're pregnant?

The mothers that cannot decide are clearly not prepared to deal with 18 years of child care at that moment.

Ever hear of adoption? People are so desperate to adopt babies that they pay kidnappers to get babies from 3rd-world countries.

In the end the law does what most abortion laws do. It tries to punish unwilling, unprepared, or even unable people with a baby.

Yet, the vast majority of the time liberal shitheads like you are fans of blunt laws, more of the one-size-fits-all laws the better. 90% percent of all new laws restricting liberty are supported by liberals.

yeah adoption is always a good way for an unwanted child, that is a far better choice than killing the baby, atleast they have chance to enjoy life.....And adoption is tough because of a lack of kids and lregulations are rediculous in the US. My wife went through her catholic church and it's full of red tape, but we're still exploring it.

Forum List

Back