Lefty Wilbury

Nov 4, 2003
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=36118

Judge rules Islamic education OK in California classrooms
Dismisses suit opposing requirement students recite Quran, pray to Allah

Posted: December 13, 2003
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

Requiring seventh-grade students to pretend they're Muslims, wear Islamic garb, memorize verses from the Quran, pray to Allah and even to play "jihad games" in California public schools has been legally upheld by a federal judge, who has dismissed a highly publicized lawsuit brought by several Christian students and their parents.

As WND reported in July of last year, the suit was filed by the Thomas More Law Center against the Byron Union School District and various school officials to stop the use of the "Islam simulation" materials and methods used in the Excelsior Elementary School in Byron, Calif.

In her 22-page ruling announced Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Phyllis Hamilton said Excelsior is not indoctrinating students about Islam when it requires them to adopt Muslim names and pray to Allah as part of a history and geography class, but rather is just teaching them about the Muslim religion.

When WorldNetDaily first reported the story in January 2002 -- shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks committed by 19 Islamist terrorists -- major controversy ensued nationwide.

The World History and Geography class in question is part of a curriculum being taught to seventh-graders all over the state, and is included in the state's curriculum standards required by the state board of education. Although the standards outline what subjects should be taught and will be included in state assessment tests, they don't mandate how they're to be taught.

In the three-week course, Excelsior teacher Brooke Carlin had students assume Islamic names, recite prayers in class, memorize and recite verses from the Quran, and had them simulate Ramadan fasting by going without something for a day. The final test required students to critique Muslim culture.

The Islam simulations at Excelsior are outlined in the state-adopted textbook "Across the Centuries," published by Houghton Mifflin, which prompts students to imagine they are Islamic soldiers and Muslims on a Mecca pilgrimage. The lawsuit also alleges students were encouraged to use such phrases in their speech as "Allah Akbar," which is Arabic for "God is great," and were required to fast during lunch period to simulate fasting during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

Nevertheless, the judge ruled the program was devoid of "any devotional or religious intent," and as therefore educational, not religions in nature.

'Double standard' decried

However, Richard Thompson, chief counsel for Thomas More, points to what he calls an obvious double standard.

"While public schools prohibit Christian students from reading the Bible, praying, displaying the Ten Commandments, and even mentioning the word 'God,' students in California are being indoctrinated into the religion of Islam," he told WND on filing the lawsuit. "Public schools would never tolerate teaching Christianity in this way. Just imagine the ACLU’s outcry if students were told that they had to pray the Lord's Prayer, memorize the Ten Commandments, use such phrases as 'Jesus is the Messiah,' and fast during Lent," he added.

According to Thompson, "Although it is constitutional for public schools to have an instructional program about comparative religion or teach about religion and utilize religious books such as the Bible in courses about our history and culture, the Byron Union School District crossed way over the constitutional line when it coerced impressionable 12-year-olds to engage in particular religious rituals and worship, simulated or not."

However, Byron Superintendent Peggy Green defended the program: "Dressing up in costume, role-playing and simulation games are all used to stimulate class discussion and are common teaching practices used in other subjects as well."

And Excelsior Principal Nancie Castro maintained, "At no point do we teach or endorse religion; we teach about religions' impact from a historical context. ... This is the state-approved curriculum, using state-adopted textbooks and has been part of the instructional program in California for over a decade."

Appealing to the 9th Circuit?

Yesterday, Thompson told WND that his legal team believed from the start that, regardless of who won the first round, this case would go to appeal – and that is exactly where he wants it to go. With some irony, Thompson points out that the appeal would go to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

"This is the court that said, in the 'Under God' Pledge case, that the mere expression 'One nation under God' [recited in a public school] violates the Constitution," said Thompson. "It will be very interesting to see how they deal with this Byron School District case where students are basically required to become Muslims for three weeks!"

While the Thomas More Law Center is intent on appealing the case, it is awaiting word from the plaintiffs as to their intent.

Originally posted by Lefty Wilbury

"This is the court that said, in the 'Under God' Pledge case, that the mere expression 'One nation under God' [recited in a public school] violates the Constitution," said Thompson. "It will be very interesting to see how they deal with this Byron School District case where students are basically required to become Muslims for three weeks!"

While the Thomas More Law Center is intent on appealing the case, it is awaiting word from the plaintiffs as to their intent.
Again, another ridiculous display of waste from an educational system lacking success. How much farther will we allow school systems to go in defending the indefensible to the detriment of our children?

these are the same folks that want more money poured in the education system for our children...seems to me a whole lot of teaching could have been done on what the first ground cost. double standard? you can bet the farm on it.:mad:

Isn't theology, and the study thereof, a good thing?

my only beef with this is that It used to be, and should still be, a college level elective. take it if you want it.

Its stupid to force religious teachings to anyone under the age of 18 anyway since they think they know it all to begin with.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
my only beef with this is that It used to be, and should still be, a college level elective. take it if you want it.

Its stupid to force religious teachings to anyone under the age of 18 anyway since they think they know it all to begin with.
_______________________ _______________________

:laugh: :clap: my sentiments exactly

It will be interesting to see if the 9th allows this, in light of their previous ruling. The study of theology is a good thing but I'm not sure that forcing someone down on a prayer rug or ingesting a wafer for a grade has any legitimate educational value.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
Isn't theology, and the study thereof, a good thing?
The study of theology in the broad sense, is neither a good nor bad thing.

The forced indoctrination of children into one particular religion when the merest mention of the trappings of others has sparked supreme court cases is wrong.

This method of "teaching" is highly questionable for many reasons. I don't think you have to dress in a robe, shave your head and move to India to appreciate Ghandi.

Take out the pledge of allegiance and bring in Islamic teachings!!! is there something wrong here???? Sorry, it just amazes me on how things are changing here. Years and years ago, people came here and HAD to learn English or couldn't survive, today, it's now mandantory that kids learn SPANISH in grammar school, and it's a SPANISH/ENGLISH Country! We have GAY teachings in NY, now Islamic in California! messed up!

But Janeen,

Ask any liberal and they will tell you what a great direction this country is moving in. How the attack on the traditions, morals, and family values of America will make us a better nation, because we no longer offend a few foreigners or atheists by not catering to their wishes. Say what you may, this country was a better place when I grew up in the 70's, does anyone else agree?

Say what you may, this country was a better place when I grew up in the 70's, does anyone else agree?

that depends on what aspects you consider 'better'.

I was preteen in the 70's but remember all too well having parents that worked 4-5 jobs because of the economy. I wasn't old enough to have to know about the political dynamics of liberal or conservative policies.

Don't read too deep into what I was saying. I too was pre-teen and did not know about economics or politics, but that was not what I was referring to. Life itself was very different, I never heard of even one gun in any of my schools, only one girl in all my schooling was pregnant, people had respect for one another, we felt safe as kids ridding our bikes to stores. I think anyone who is honest with themselves can see what I am saying.

more of an innocence thing, leave the keys in your car, doors at home unlocked, all most the village raising the kids...you didnt have to worry about the bad guys cause back then you knew who they were... cops? had a few too many and got pulled over..no problem he would take you home or make you go home...lil different today.

Originally posted by eric
Don't read too deep into what I was saying. I too was pre-teen and did not know about economics or politics, but that was not what I was referring to. Life itself was very different, I never heard of even one gun in any of my schools, only one girl in all my schooling was pregnant, people had respect for one another, we felt safe as kids ridding our bikes to stores. I think anyone who is honest with themselves can see what I am saying.

I see what you mean now. I agree.

I grew up in a little podunk town of 3,000 people. never had to lock the house or car. only the occasional fist fight in school (once every 3 months maybe). Life was less harrowing then for sure.

was stuck for 4 years in a "town" of 200 people, I think they counted heads on a saturday afternoon. couldnt do shit without getting busted BEFORE you got home. oldman was waiting at the door!!!!

Well I did not grow up in a small town, I grew up on Long Island, though less populated than now, was by no means small. I think it was the time more than the size of the town.

Originally posted by Moi
The study of theology in the broad sense, is neither a good nor bad thing.

The forced indoctrination of children into one particular religion when the merest mention of the trappings of others has sparked supreme court cases is wrong.

This method of "teaching" is highly questionable for many reasons. I don't think you have to dress in a robe, shave your head and move to India to appreciate Ghandi.

No joke. What if a public school district in Oregon or Washington (two of the least churchgoing states in the Union) made kids take communion, pray Rosaries, or memorize Bible passages? There would be a serious outcry - and with good reason.

It is one thing to teach all religions in an unbiased fashion in a theology class. It is another entirely to have one religion taught for "cultural enhancement" or whatever they call it without mention of any others.

I teach in a parochial school. We teach 'religion' in religion courses, emphasizing that the Bible is the writings of 'inspired' persons, not science.

We teach science, (evolution and big bang theory) in science classes, emphasizing the 'Catholic Church' does NOT adhere to a literal interpretation of the Bible.

I would say that my son's public school does far left disclaimers of teacher or administrative bias than we do.

No joke. What if a public school district in Oregon or Washington (two of the least churchgoing states in the Union) made kids take communion, pray Rosaries, or memorize Bible passages? There would be a serious outcry - and with good reason.

It is one thing to teach all religions in an unbiased fashion in a theology class. It is another entirely to have one religion taught for "cultural enhancement" or whatever they call it without mention of any others.
I know. For some reason, I guess there's nothing wrong with this though. That seems pretty hypocritical.

This is disgusting... I agree in a college you should be able to pick this class....... but didnt we do away with prayer in school cause it was wrong?
Well when I read Californa it all made sense, hell if I remember right they also teach E bonics. In fact they also reconize same sex marriges So what did ya excpect!
We ought to give Californa & its liberals to Bin Ladin.
Jeff

Please don't.

There are a lot of reasonable moderate Californians, like me.

We are why Gray Davis was booted out and Arnold is now Governor.

We are sick of the way career politicians have ruined our state.

New Topics

Forum List

Back