Judge rules Clarett eligible for NFL draft

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
I'm curious what you guys think of this ruling. I think they should leave the NFL be and allow their rules to stand.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett was ruled eligible for the NFL draft Thursday by a federal judge who concluded that the league's rule violates antitrust laws.

U.S. District Judge Shira Scheindlin ordered the NFL to let Clarett enter April's draft, a decision that could clear the way for others. The league will appeal.

Clarett, 20, played just one season at Ohio State, leading the Buckeyes to the 2002 national championship. He was barred from playing in the 2003 season for accepting improper benefits from a family friend and then lying about it to investigators.

Clarett sued the NFL last summer to challenge the league rule that a player must be out of high school three years for draft eligibility. Thursday's ruling, if not successfully appealed, could allow teenage football stars to turn pro the way younger athletes in other sports can, such as LeBron James in the NBA.

No other player has challenged the 1990 NFL eligibility rule. It was adopted because the league's coaches and executives think younger players aren't physically ready for the NFL, although the 6-foot, 230-pound Clarett could be an exception.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...wN0aA--?slug=ap-clarett-nfl&prov=ap&type=lgns

IMHO, I think that Clarett should have a chance at the pro's seeing as how he cant play for the NCAA anymore. but he should have to get his degree from ohio state or another accredited 4 year school. Football NFL style aint a little boys game and a certain level of maturity is needed, this isnt like basketball ,soccer or tennis...I liken the NFL to controlled warfare...it should be the NFL's responsability to see that Clarett gets his degree....what if he is busted up before he gets started...no plan B as for more under-grads/high schoolers jumping to the NFL? case by case

I think any NFL team that takes him should be shunned. I think the NFL or any other employer has the right to make decisions about hiring or firing by themselves without government interference.

I think this guy's a loser and doesn't deserve a college education or a million dollar a year contract w/ endorsements.

If the NFL doesn't want to take anyone under a certain age or out of high school for a certain amount of time, who cares? It's their league, they should be able to do what they want. Let the kid go play for NFL Europe - or, even better, maybe the kid shouldn't have broken NCAA rules and lied about it. Then he'd still be in college.

Let the NFL determine their own rules.

Forum List

Back