Judge Overturns Nebraska Ban On Flag Mutilation, Siding With Westboro Church's Right

Burning the flag as a protest should NEVER be banned.

This country is about FREEDOM of people.

You do not make a law against people for the sake of a symbol or you place the symbol in a higher place than a human beings freedom.

Learn to love REAL freedom.

The only reason you're ok with it is because it is the SOP of the left - burning flags. If it was a Republican trait, you'd be screaming blue fucking murder about it. You're such a fucking hypocrite, truthdon'tmatter.

The only person I have seen on this board who has openly said they 'hate' another human being is you.

Jesus you are a partisan hack.

Do you realise these idiots are right wing?

They are christian right wing idiots burning flags to protest gay rights.

Idiot.

It's not about the fucking church, you moron. It's about the act of burning the flag. That is SOP of left wing groups. That is why it's defensible.

And, as you are the only poster who I've ever seen openly 'hating' a group of people, based on nothing more than an opposing political view, personally, I take all your posts as 'hate speech'.

On the day that the left stop seeking to silence anyone who disagrees with them

That has never happened...

Blasting your bullshit is not silencing you.

Freedom of speach does not include freedom from public disagreement with your idiot ideas.

It is Pelosi et al who seek to investigate returning vets etc as potential 'radical extremists'. It is this Administration that seeks to silence dissent. That's the left. That's your side. Fuck you and your 'I hate Republicans' hate speech, idiot.

The only reason you're ok with it is because it is the SOP of the left - burning flags. If it was a Republican trait, you'd be screaming blue fucking murder about it. You're such a fucking hypocrite, truthdon'tmatter.

The only person I have seen on this board who has openly said they 'hate' another human being is you.

Idiot.

It's not about the fucking church, you moron. It's about the act of burning the flag. That is SOP of left wing groups. That is why it's defensible.

And, as you are the only poster who I've ever seen openly 'hating' a group of people, based on nothing more than an opposing political view, personally, I take all your posts as 'hate speech'.
:clap2:The moral high ground continues to evade you.

:lol:

Idiot.

:clap2:The moral high ground continues to evade you.

:lol:

I never pretend to own the moral highground. It's not a place I see as having the best view.

THEY are CHRISTIANS.

They are protesting gay rights.

Those are facts you crazy fool

Here are the facts.

The people at Westboro Baptist Church claim to be Christians, and they are not protesting gay rights. (I thought there was only one mistake in your post before I actually thought about it, then I realized I was wrong.)

Claiming to be a Christian does not qualify one as a Christian, even if you think it does. What makes one a Christian is obeying God and following the example of Jesus. To the best of my knowledge, Jesus never commented on homosexuality at all. But he did tell us that we have to love our neighbors, and our enemies. He also told us that we have to take up our cross daily, deny ourselves, and follow him. I can assure you that these people are not following Jesus, which means they are not Christians.

WBC protest the very existence of homosexuals, lesbians, and all others who commit "unholy sexual congress." They could care less about gay rights, because they simply hate everyone who is gay and condemn them to eternal punishment. (Another proof they are not Christian by the way, even if it is to subtle for most to actually see.) Since, in their eyes, America tolerates gays existence, the country is being punished by God allowing our servicemen to die in Iraq and Afghanistan.

These people are despicable, and I would love to beat the crap out of that civil rights lawyer who leads them into deception, but the facts are not what you think they are.

Judge Overturns Nebraska Ban On Flag Mutilation, Siding With Westboro Church's Right To Protest Military Funerals

OMAHA, Neb. — A federal judge overturned Nebraska's ban on flag mutilation Thursday, clearing the way for Kansas church protesters to continue trampling on the U.S. flag when they protest at military funerals.

The ruling from U.S. District Judge Richard Kopf said the law can't be applied as long as Megan Phelps-Roper and fellow members of the Westboro Baptist Church "otherwise act peacefully while desecrating the American or Nebraska flag during their religiously motivated protests."

It was unclear whether the ruling applied only to the church members or to everyone in Nebraska. An earlier temporary block of the law applied only to Phelps-Roper.

The judge declined to explain the intent of his ruling when reached by The Associated Press.

A message left Thursday with the Nebraska attorney general's office wasn't immediately returned.

I don't see the prupose in flag mutilation. However feeedom means that others may and will do things we don not like. But then I suppose we do theing they do not like as well.

This does not however change my opinion of the Phelps/Westboro bunch being low life scum.

Maddie, Maddie, Maddie. Flag desecration is just another exercise in total disrespect for one's country and rebellion against it. It was a very highly visible exercise back in the '60s-'70s. There shouldn't have to be a Constitutional argument about it at all, but if it has to be a question of Constitutionality I would suggest it be defined as a felony. People should have enough good character, respect, concern and gratitude for their country, the people over the decades who came here and helped make it great, and those who have stood up and protected it and the freedoms we have because of them.

Unfortunately, today, no one is very much concerned with respect for anything or anyone, gratitude for anything, self-respect, responsibility, actions and consequences, or anything else. There's an excuse or newly-discovered "syndrome" for everything. And the more we tilt in that direction, the more banal we become and the more we applaud ourselves for achieving yet another low ... yet, we're never happy, are we? It's never enough, we keep looking for the ever-illusive thing that's going to give us the next high on our road to self-destruction.

You do not make a law against people for the sake of a symbol or you place the symbol in a higher place than a human beings freedom.

The flag is just a symbol. Most of them are made in foreign countries ...another reason not to get all excited about destroying them. Protesting undesirable policy has always involved using symbols to point out who's policies one is protesting.

What you never see is someone burning a copy of our constitution which really represents what we as Americans hold dearest.

It's been clear since 1989 that flag desecration laws are unconstitutional.

First Amendment Library - Case

Maddie, Maddie, Maddie. Flag desecration is just another exercise in total disrespect for one's country and rebellion against it. It was a very highly visible exercise back in the '60s-'70s. There shouldn't have to be a Constitutional argument about it at all, but if it has to be a question of Constitutionality I would suggest it be defined as a felony. People should have enough good character, respect, concern and gratitude for their country, the people over the decades who came here and helped make it great, and those who have stood up and protected it and the freedoms we have because of them.

Unfortunately, today, no one is very much concerned with respect for anything or anyone, gratitude for anything, self-respect, responsibility, actions and consequences, or anything else. There's an excuse or newly-discovered "syndrome" for everything. And the more we tilt in that direction, the more banal we become and the more we applaud ourselves for achieving yet another low ... yet, we're never happy, are we? It's never enough, we keep looking for the ever-illusive thing that's going to give us the next high on our road to self-destruction.

Granny, personally I would never desecrate the flag. I'll admit to wearing a few flag-like articles of clothing as a kid, and to attending a few protests where it was not well-treated (never been to a burning).

Constitutionality is the border of a state or federal government's right to criminalize conduct. It's not the outer limits of what a sane person would do. Personally I think the Gang of Nine decided the matter correctly. Burn the flag all you want....my love of country is never gonna be affected by it.

It seems kinda stupid that a state would pass a law it knew was unconstitutional, and this is clear. If I lived in Nebraska (and BTW, I thought WBC was in Kansas?) I'd be mad my legislators pissed away money I needed on a law it knew could not survive challenge.

:eusa_eh: The Westboro Baptists are right wing loons.

Post fail.

It really would be nice to do something to clip their wings. I wonder if the IRS could get in there and investigate as to whether their status as a church is warranteed? I already suggested looking at removing the children from their custody and all y'all shouted at me.

Can you imagine what it must be like for WBC neighbors? I'm surprised there haven't been any murders.

Post fail.

It really would be nice to do something to clip their wings. I wonder if the IRS could get in there and investigate as to whether their status as a church is warranteed? I already suggested looking at removing the children from their custody and all y'all shouted at me.

Can you imagine what it must be like for WBC neighbors? I'm surprised there haven't been any murders.

People probably disagreed with you because the right to be an asshole also translates to the right to raise you kids as assholes.

Post fail.

People probably disagreed with you because the right to be an asshole also translates to the right to raise you kids as assholes.

Yes, that was the gist of it. I suggested raising children to be extreme haters might be a form of abuse, but nobody was buying it.

Forum List

Back