Judge Overturns Nebraska Ban On Flag Mutilation, Siding With Westboro Church's Right

Tom Clancy

Clancy for Ron Paul
May 23, 2009
North Carolina.
Judge Overturns Nebraska Ban On Flag Mutilation, Siding With Westboro Church's Right To Protest Military Funerals

OMAHA, Neb. — A federal judge overturned Nebraska's ban on flag mutilation Thursday, clearing the way for Kansas church protesters to continue trampling on the U.S. flag when they protest at military funerals.

The ruling from U.S. District Judge Richard Kopf said the law can't be applied as long as Megan Phelps-Roper and fellow members of the Westboro Baptist Church "otherwise act peacefully while desecrating the American or Nebraska flag during their religiously motivated protests."

It was unclear whether the ruling applied only to the church members or to everyone in Nebraska. An earlier temporary block of the law applied only to Phelps-Roper.

The judge declined to explain the intent of his ruling when reached by The Associated Press.

A message left Thursday with the Nebraska attorney general's office wasn't immediately returned.

Not that I agree with it, but I don't think Nebraska can make a law banning flag mutilation.

Once again the first amendment guaranteeing someones right to be an asshole, and I have nothing wrong with that

I find the Westboro baptist church to be a fascinating organization. With all the animosity between the left and right, the westboro people have been able to bridge the gap, and have found something both sides can agree on. That the westboro people are assholes.

Once again the first amendment guaranteeing someones right to be an asshole, and I have nothing wrong with that

I find the Westboro baptist church to be a fascinating organization. With all the animosity between the left and right, the westboro people have been able to bridge the gap, and have found something both sides can agree on. That the westboro people are assholes.
Yup.

Funny how assholes have that effect.

:clap2:

They are crazy christians who are cherry picking the bible to act out in their current society.

The flag is but a symbol.

They trample nothing but a symbol.

In doing so they display their utter fools outlook on the world.

It's been clear since 1989 that flag desecration laws are unconstitutional.

First Amendment Library - Case

Maddie, Maddie, Maddie. Flag desecration is just another exercise in total disrespect for one's country and rebellion against it. It was a very highly visible exercise back in the '60s-'70s. There shouldn't have to be a Constitutional argument about it at all, but if it has to be a question of Constitutionality I would suggest it be defined as a felony. People should have enough good character, respect, concern and gratitude for their country, the people over the decades who came here and helped make it great, and those who have stood up and protected it and the freedoms we have because of them.

Unfortunately, today, no one is very much concerned with respect for anything or anyone, gratitude for anything, self-respect, responsibility, actions and consequences, or anything else. There's an excuse or newly-discovered "syndrome" for everything. And the more we tilt in that direction, the more banal we become and the more we applaud ourselves for achieving yet another low ... yet, we're never happy, are we? It's never enough, we keep looking for the ever-illusive thing that's going to give us the next high on our road to self-destruction.

Maddie, Maddie, Maddie. Flag desecration is just another exercise in total disrespect for one's country and rebellion against it. It was a very highly visible exercise back in the '60s-'70s. There shouldn't have to be a Constitutional argument about it at all, but if it has to be a question of Constitutionality I would suggest it be defined as a felony. People should have enough good character, respect, concern and gratitude for their country, the people over the decades who came here and helped make it great, and those who have stood up and protected it and the freedoms we have because of them.

Unfortunately, today, no one is very much concerned with respect for anything or anyone, gratitude for anything, self-respect, responsibility, actions and consequences, or anything else. There's an excuse or newly-discovered "syndrome" for everything. And the more we tilt in that direction, the more banal we become and the more we applaud ourselves for achieving yet another low ... yet, we're never happy, are we? It's never enough, we keep looking for the ever-illusive thing that's going to give us the next high on our road to self-destruction.

if it was speech you approved of, it wouldn't need constitutional protection.

but don't let the constitution come between you and stupid.

Burning the flag as a protest should NEVER be banned.

This country is about FREEDOM of people.

You do not make a law against people for the sake of a symbol or you place the symbol in a higher place than a human beings freedom.

Learn to love REAL freedom.

You do not make a law against people for the sake of a symbol or you place the symbol in a higher place than a human beings freedom.

The only reason you're ok with it is because it is the SOP of the left - burning flags. If it was a Republican trait, you'd be screaming blue fucking murder about it. You're such a fucking hypocrite, truthdon'tmatter.

The only person I have seen on this board who has openly said they 'hate' another human being is you.

On the day that the left stop seeking to silence anyone who disagrees with them, and calls of their hounds who seek to investigate right wing groups, then you can have the moral highground.... Until then, mo chara, the left is nothing more than a joke when it comes to defending free speech.

The only reason you're ok with it is because it is the SOP of the left - burning flags. If it was a Republican trait, you'd be screaming blue fucking murder about it. You're such a fucking hypocrite, truthdon'tmatter.

The only person I have seen on this board who has openly said they 'hate' another human being is you.
:eusa_eh: The Westboro Baptists are right wing loons.

Post fail.

Unfortunately, today, no one is very much concerned with respect for anything or anyone, gratitude for anything, self-respect, responsibility, actions and consequences, or anything else. There's an excuse or newly-discovered "syndrome" for everything. And the more we tilt in that direction, the more banal we become and the more we applaud ourselves for achieving yet another low ... yet, we're never happy, are we? It's never enough, we keep looking for the ever-illusive thing that's going to gi ve us the next high on our road to self-destruction.

Granny, I think folks who trample the flag or burn it are scum. Period. However, their doing so is making a statement. Although I love our flag, I can handle seeing it desecrated by scum (just barely) because its glory is not lost at all. It is almost more glorious as a representation of our freedoms, especially speech. No nation on Earth can come close to our freedoms of speech, and our flag symbolizes that, even when being burned or trampled - maybe even moreso at those disgusting times.

Last edited:

On the day that the left stop seeking to silence anyone who disagrees with them, and calls of their hounds who seek to investigate right wing groups, then you can have the moral highground.... Until then, mo chara, the left is nothing more than a joke when it comes to defending free speech.
On the day that YOU stop lumping everyone on the left into one category you can have the moral high ground.

That day will never come.

Jesus you are a partisan hack.

Do you realise these idiots are right wing?

They are christian right wing idiots burning flags to protest gay rights.

Jesus you are a partisan hack.

Do you realise these idiots are right wing?

They are christian right wing idiots burning flags to protest gay rights.

These idiots are not right wing or left wing. They are not Christians by any stretch of the imagination. They are simply nuts on a personal vendetta.

THEY are CHRISTIANS.

They are protesting gay rights.

Those are facts you crazy fool

:eusa_eh: The Westboro Baptists are right wing loons.

Post fail.

The point, for the terminally stupid..... is that because it is traditionally the SOP of left wing groups to burn and disrespect the flag of our nation.... it is something that the left will defend.... it's nothing to do with the fucking Church, you moronic fool. It is about the behavior.

Engage brain, think, post. You'll find this technique useful.

Forum List

Back