Judge Lets Pregnant Teen Marry Without Consent

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
An Ohio judge allowed a pregnant 17-year-old to get married without her parents' consent after the bride-to-be said she could be forced to have an abortion if she stayed at home.

The Columbus Dispatch reports the couple, who each turn 18 in a few months, got married Tuesday after a hearing.

Ohio law requires parents to sign off on the marriage of anyone younger than 18, but judges can waive the requirement. The bride's mother says she's outraged the judge did so without hearing from her or her husband. She also denies pushing her daughter toward abortion.

Ohio Judge Lets Pregnant Teen Marry Without Consent After Bride Says Parents Would Force Abortion - FoxNews.com

Anyone smell bullshit? No one can force another to have an abortion. Except the government of China. :confused:

An Ohio judge allowed a pregnant 17-year-old to get married without her parents' consent after the bride-to-be said she could be forced to have an abortion if she stayed at home.

The Columbus Dispatch reports the couple, who each turn 18 in a few months, got married Tuesday after a hearing.

Ohio law requires parents to sign off on the marriage of anyone younger than 18, but judges can waive the requirement. The bride's mother says she's outraged the judge did so without hearing from her or her husband. She also denies pushing her daughter toward abortion.

Ohio Judge Lets Pregnant Teen Marry Without Consent After Bride Says Parents Would Force Abortion - FoxNews.com

Anyone smell bullshit? No one can force another to have an abortion. Except the government of China. :confused:

the BS sounds like it was in the coverage b/c the girl's mother purportedly wanted her to abort.

she'll be 18 in a few months anyway. so sounds like it was well within the judge's discretion.

I suppose you are right, and I do credit these kids for considering marriage. But if the article is correct, the judge should not have allowed that excuse in my opinion. And I don't like the fact that the parents weren't permitted to speak at the hearing. Obviously, there's more to this story.

I suppose you are right, and I do credit these kids for considering marriage. But if the article is correct, the judge should not have allowed that excuse in my opinion. And I don't like the fact that the parents weren't permitted to speak at the hearing. Obviously, there's more to this story.

the judge wouldn't needed needed any excuse because it's purely discretionary. obviously, without seeing a written decsion, it's difficult to know what the judge said and the comment about her possibly being forced to have an abortion (which obviously no one could do) could have been an offhand comment having nothing to do with anything and could have referred more to the girl's relationship with her family.

i wouldn't assume any accuracy in the coverage.

the BS sounds like it was in the coverage b/c the girl's mother purportedly wanted her to abort.

she'll be 18 in a few months anyway. so sounds like it was well within the judge's discretion.
Judge ? Put a bullet in his head. Nobody has a right to "judge" anyone.

yokie dokie :cuckoo:

This idijit judge ended a legal relationship between a minor and her parents without any showing of abuse or neglect and without allowing the parents an opportunity to speak. He does not deserve to wear his robes.

BTW, at least according to the judges interviewed, such a thing has never before happened in Ohio.

In my opinion, there isn't enough information provided, to say one way or another, whether the judge was wrong.

Last edited:
In my opinion, there isn't enough information provided, to say one way or another, whether the judge was wrong.

Really? You see no problem with severing the parental rights of two people without a hearing at which they could testify?

Due process seems to count for shit with this judge....IMO he does not belong on the bench.

BTW, here's another article on this matter....

Underage couple win permission to marry | The Columbus Dispatch - Topix

I said there isn't enough information known at this point in time, to say that the judge was wrong. You read the story and assume to believe that what you read was correct, contextual, and substantive. In my opinion, it wasn't. As such, I will wait for more corroborating evidence, before making a determination one way or another.

Really? You see no problem with severing the parental rights of two people without a hearing at which they could testify?

Due process seems to count for shit with this judge....IMO he does not belong on the bench.

I said there isn't enough information known at this point in time, to say that the judge was wrong. You read the story and assume to believe that what you read was correct, contextual, and substantive. In my opinion, it wasn't. As such, I will wait for more corroborating evidence, before making a determination one way or another.

Party pooper------speculate and get outraged or this place gets boring. :lol:

If it suits you to believe the Dispatch got it wrong about whether the parents had notice and an opportunity to be heard, so be it. BTW, the reporter interviewed the judge, the girl, her boyfriend, his father, and the girl's parents....and they agreed on this point. But hey, mebbe they all lied, eh?

If due process is not necessary when severing your relationship with your children, then when is it necessary?

If it suits you to believe the Dispatch got it wrong about whether the parents had notice and an opportunity to be heard, so be it. BTW, the reporter interviewed the judge, the girl, her boyfriend, his father, and the girl's parents....and they agreed on this point. But hey, mebbe they all lied, eh?

If due process is not necessary when severing your relationship with your children, then when is it necessary?

It appears you have a bad habit of reading things into a post that were not said. We don't have all the facts. As such, there is no way one can say (at this point in time) that the judge acted outside the scope of his legal jurisdiction or is guilty of judicial malfeasance.

As Jillian pointed out, she is close to 18. She would have been able to marry at that time anyway. But perhaps her parents wanted a few more months for her to think it through.

Regardless - Madeline is correct in that the parents should have been able to testify. Perhaps the judge would have ruled the same, but everyone should be able to have their say in court. I don't think that part of the story was fabricated.

In Maryland an underage pregnant girl used to be able to get married without her parents permission. This was before abortion, but has anything changed this? The thinking was that it was better that the couple was married if a baby was on the way.

It appears you have a bad habit of reading things into a post that were not said. We don't have all the facts. As such, there is no way one can say (at this point in time) that the judge acted outside the scope of his legal jurisdiction or is guilty of judicial malfeasance.

Were the girl's parents' rights impacted by the decision? Yes, they were. Were they denied any semblance of due process? Yes, they were. Should a judge at least aspire to fundamental fairness in adjudicating cases before him? Yes, he should.

Judge Acker failed at his most basic responsibility -- fairness.

Were the girl's parents' rights impacted by the decision? Yes, they were. Were they denied any semblance of due process? Yes, they were. Should a judge at least aspire to fundamental fairness in adjudicating cases before him? Yes, he should.

Judge Acker failed at his most basic responsibility -- fairness.

I thought it was upholding the law of the land. Never seen one overly concerned with being fair.

:eusa_eh:

dilloduck wrote:

I thought it was upholding the law of the land. Never seen one overly concerned with being fair.

I would wager I have seen more judges, dilloduck. Sorry to hear you didn't think the ones you encountered were concerned with due process. 100% of the ones I appeared before have been.

:eusa_eh:

Yeah, let's put a bullet in his head, but I'm not judgMENTAL.

That guy's nuts... :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back