Judge leaves Man $58 to live on, tells him: "You can afford it, figure it out."

I can fend for myself, but I hate what this fucked up legal system has done to my kids.

Thanks for sharing your story there slackjawed. A key example of where the system is broken, and why it needs to be fixed.

GlennSacks.com » Blog Archive » Family Attorney Marsha Freeman: 'The System is Broken'

John Nelson went from six-figure-earning software exectutive to unemployed overnight. But his $2,200 child support payment didn't change that quickly. It took a year for him to get a hearing, and when he finally did, the judge increased his obligation. By that time he had gotten a job as a science teacher, but the newly-upped child support obligation meant that he took home a grand total of $58 per week. Read about it here (WFTV, 11/9/09).

The judge, Julian Piggotte's attitude was "you can afford it; figure it out." Then she discovered that she had a conflict of interest in Nelson's case and withdrew.

His ex-wife sees the situation this way:

"Our lives go on. The kids still have lunches, they still go to school, and they still have field trips."

That's true. And if she and John were still together, the kids would need to be fed and go to school, but their standard of living would drop along with that of their parents. That's what happens when parents lose their jobs - parents and children live on less. They all manage the best they can. It's one of the sometimes-harsh realities of daily life.

Only if the parents are divorced does the concept arise that the children's lives must in no way change due to a parent's loss of income. It's as if Judge Piggotte lives in a fantasy world in which children must and do remain unaffected when their father loses his job. Indeed, it's the same fantasy world in which an adult can live on $58 per week.

Nelson's case is like countless others these days. Some 80% of job losses have been suffered by men in the last year or so. A lot of those guys are fathers, some of them divorced. That means they have to file for a modification of their support orders

It's another strange aspect of the whole matter that, if Nelson's wife had wanted a temporary restraining order against him, she could have gotten a hearing and had an order issued in a matter of hours. But when he loses his job and needs to reduce his child support to reflect what he can actually pay, it takes over a year.

Thoughts?

Further evidence that the Child Support system is broken?

absolutely....the system is broken

men should be more careful with their sperm.

In that case, women should keep their legs closed more often. See how it goes both ways?

no i do not see it going both ways...once a man releases his sperm into a woman....he loses control of said sperm and it becomes the property of the woman....are you saying men are too stupid to have any self control? are you? are you saying a man cannot decide to fuck or not fuck? i have a wee bit higher opinion of men than you do. i dont think you have to fuck something cause it lays down in front of you....perhaps one day you will understand that you control your fate...as long as you control your sperm...got that?

o and you can fuck with rubbers and retain control of your sperm....

Men should be more careful who they marry.

How many men have been lied to by women who say their on the pill only to find out later that she was a lying bitch?

omg its never the idiot man's fault for not controlling his sperm now is it.....do you really trust another human that you just met at a bar or whatever to decide your fate? really skull? i really didnt take you for being that gulliable?????

How many men have been lied to by women who say their on the pill only to find out later that she was a lying bitch?

omg its never the idiot man's fault for not controlling his sperm now is it.....do you really trust another human that you just met at a bar or whatever to decide your fate? really skull? i really didnt take you for being that gulliable?????

Hey women do it all the time and don't deny it.
They'll swear on a stack of bibles that they're on the pill and cry a river if questioned.

"Oh my God, I can't believe that you don't trust me after all this time!" BOO HOO

I have had relationships end because i refused to believe a girl was on birth control. So I never fell for it and I tell my son to never ever trust a woman to use birth control because they can't be trusted.

Besides this thread is not about picking up some slut in a bar but about child support and marriage.

Last edited:

Exactly two since the beginning of time.

However, I've seen plenty of deadbeats who, when they decide they don't want to pitch in, DECLARE they thought their ex was on the pill. My ex is one of them. After a YEAR together, when I got pregnant, his comment was "I thought you were fixed."

WTF? Where his tiny pea brain got that I have absolutely no idea. Believe me, I was as shocked as he was, but I never, EVER said I was "fixed", and we used birth control.

what a fucking dweeb.

Sometimes it really blows me away when You see Who Among Us, the Women are attracted to.
Ken Loves Barbie,
Barbie Loves Derek,
Derek Loves Ken.
LOL

Fuck that. The kids are his, he can figure it out. I'm raising 4 (it doesn't stop when they turn 18) and the pittance I get in child support is a joke. Heat alone is $200 a month....so 2/3 of that is theirs, and 1/2 of that should by rights be his. Add that to their portion of the rent, and guess what? I don't get anywhere near what I spend on them.

And that's just the second set. The first set, I've receive a grand total (over 24 years) of $5,200. Woo fucking hoo. We spent that much on one broken arm, 13 years ago.

If you're heating the house when you're there alone. a kid in the house does not raise your heating bill. if you have a phone in your house having a kid does not raise your phone bill or your cable bill etc.

so if you need a 3 bedroom apartment instead of a one the only consideration there would be half the difference in rent between a one and 3 bedroom.

Hey hey hey... There are plenty of other expenses too, like childcare. When my son was little, the entire amount of child support (which I got for 11 months, before his dad went on the serial-dad trip, and became a deadbeat to his first kid- mine) went to child care. That was it. Poof. Gone.
I do agree with everything else though. The heat is still going to be on, the phone bill still has to be paid, etc. I think that certain bills are able to fluctuate a little, in payment. Sometimes people who have gas heat might decide against paying the gas bill or something, or let that utility turn off for a week, just because they need to feed their kids. Many families tend to only eat one or two meals a day, or eat less than they are physically satisfied with, because they have to pay their mortgage or rent. When you have kids in the picture, the shit gets expensive. My kid and I used to survive on 40 dollars a month for food, by him having free breakfast and lunch at school, me eating once or twice a day, and him always eating and snacking (I would starve for my kid to eat). This lasted for over a year, and since I needed to lose some weight anyways, it worked out okay. It wouldn't have been okay for someone who is already underweight, or had to deal with that for a significant period of time. Hell, I let the gas bill be turned off, and used space heaters for a week one time, and just boiled water for hot baths for us, mostly because of the non-payment of child support issue. It was 412 dollars a month. Thats all.

if you're kids are 18 and not in college, they are considered adults and should be supporting themselves or at least paying you room and board.

Well, you also need to understand this- Parents want the best for their kids. If the adult kid who lives on their own needs support in some way, to get a tire, or help occasionally with a car payment, or whatever, that is not something that us moms will shrug off easily. I agree that the adult kids should be contributing to the bills, if they live at home. Not making them do this would probably be a codependency issue.

And I'm sure the kids father spends money on them as well. And how did you collect child support for 24 years?

She had four kids. FOUR. That usually does not mean she had quadruplets. They were born in different years. Often, people have kids a couple years apart, also. Do the math.

And there is no way you only received 216 dollars a year for child support. that's what your figures work out to.

I have gotten -30 dollars in child support one year. My ex bounced a fucking check to me. It was the only check he wrote that year. Yes, it is ENTIRELY possible for some asshole to look down on his kids and ex wife as though supporting them to have a roof over their heads, and helping to feed them is some kind of "gold diggers" venture..

Unbelievable, your incredulous mindset towards Allie Baba on this. Just unbelievable.

LMAO!! You are such an asshole...

Actually, my ex husband, and baby daddy, knew I was not on the pill, and after I would put the fucking condoms on him, he was pulling the damn things off. It took a few days to figure it out, but when one of the things ended up in the corner of the room, I knew what had happened. It wasn't from ME accidentally pulling them off vaginally during sex, either. HE was purposefully doing it.
I actually had the positive pregnancy test still in my hand, when he decided we would get married. Talk about power and control. Sheesh. Men can be bitches too, it seems!! A couple weeks before this, he had bought a brand new ford ranger pickup single cab truck. He was a selfish little fucker...

I am so glad he died. Dick. We don't miss him, around here. =)

LMAO!! You are such an asshole...

Actually, my ex husband, and baby daddy, knew I was not on the pill, and after I would put the fucking condoms on him, he was pulling the damn things off. It took a few days to figure it out, but when one of the things ended up in the corner of the room, I knew what had happened. It wasn't from ME accidentally pulling them off vaginally during sex, either. HE was purposefully doing it.
I actually had the positive pregnancy test still in my hand, when he decided we would get married. Talk about power and control. Sheesh. Men can be bitches too, it seems!! A couple weeks before this, he had bought a brand new ford ranger pickup single cab truck. He was a selfish little fucker...

I am so glad he died. Dick. We don't miss him, around here. =)

True men can deceive also! Most men are much more polite and well manner early in the relationship and then change (but we usually change well before we get married). Women on the other hand usually change course after the ring is on the finger.

True men can deceive also! Most men are much more polite and well manner early in the relationship and then change (but we usually change well before we get married). Women on the other hand usually change course after the ring is on the finger.

your generalizations just never stop!

GlennSacks.com » Blog Archive » Family Attorney Marsha Freeman: 'The System is Broken'

John Nelson went from six-figure-earning software exectutive to unemployed overnight. But his $2,200 child support payment didn't change that quickly. It took a year for him to get a hearing, and when he finally did, the judge increased his obligation. By that time he had gotten a job as a science teacher, but the newly-upped child support obligation meant that he took home a grand total of $58 per week. Read about it here (WFTV, 11/9/09).

The judge, Julian Piggotte's attitude was "you can afford it; figure it out." Then she discovered that she had a conflict of interest in Nelson's case and withdrew.

"Our lives go on. The kids still have lunches, they still go to school, and they still have field trips."

That's true. And if she and John were still together, the kids would need to be fed and go to school, but their standard of living would drop along with that of their parents. That's what happens when parents lose their jobs - parents and children live on less. They all manage the best they can. It's one of the sometimes-harsh realities of daily life.

Only if the parents are divorced does the concept arise that the children's lives must in no way change due to a parent's loss of income. It's as if Judge Piggotte lives in a fantasy world in which children must and do remain unaffected when their father loses his job. Indeed, it's the same fantasy world in which an adult can live on $58 per week.

Nelson's case is like countless others these days. Some 80% of job losses have been suffered by men in the last year or so. A lot of those guys are fathers, some of them divorced. That means they have to file for a modification of their support orders

It's another strange aspect of the whole matter that, if Nelson's wife had wanted a temporary restraining order against him, she could have gotten a hearing and had an order issued in a matter of hours. But when he loses his job and needs to reduce his child support to reflect what he can actually pay, it takes over a year.

Thoughts?

They can't leave you with 50 bucks no matter how many kids you have. Ridiculous.

Thoughts?

They can't leave you with 50 bucks no matter how many kids you have. Ridiculous.

they can and they do. The court can simply refuse to hear a request to reevaluate a man's income, in my case illegally for 3 years.
They can and do leave you with LESS than 50 bucks because the law that was passed when hillary was president made men criminals with no legal recourse.

Forum List

Back