Judge hints at bad news: "Will Arizona law hold me indefinitely?"

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street

I heard on the radio that the Judge in the Arizona immigration law asked the state attorney if she were stopped and taken in until she could prove being a citizen, could she be held indefinitely. :eusa_whistle:

Both attorneys responded.

“There are constitutional limits as to how long somebody can be detained. The police officers are trained in that. We have 15,000 well qualified police officers out there who make these kind of decisions every day,” said John Bouma, an attorney representing the state.

“This law expressly allows law enforcement agencies to detain somebody indefinitely until they prove they’re an American citizen,” said Montoya.

Federal judge hears arguments over blocking Arizona's immigration law

I don't know for sure in this area of the Arizona law, but I believe cops do not get to release people once they are being held. If it is not spelled out, it is an argument that is bogus. I for one do not want police officers deciding how long I could be held. :eusa_whistle: sorry :redface:

I heard on the radio that the Judge in the Arizona immigration law asked the state attorney if she were stopped and taken in until she could prove being a citizen, could she be held indefinitely. :eusa_whistle:

“There are constitutional limits as to how long somebody can be detained. The police officers are trained in that. We have 15,000 well qualified police officers out there who make these kind of decisions every day,” said John Bouma, an attorney representing the state.

“This law expressly allows law enforcement agencies to detain somebody indefinitely until they prove they’re an American citizen,” said Montoya.

I don't know for sure in this area of the Arizona law, but I believe cops do not get to release people once they are being held. If it is not spelled out, it is an argument that is bogus. I for one do not want police officers deciding how long I could be held. :eusa_whistle: sorry :redface:

IF true, this judge is stupid. AZ law doesn't determine shit. SB1070 doesn't call for AZ to determine if people are here legally in cases where they can't provide proof. It calls for them to turn those folks over to ICE and let THEM deal with it. Now if ICE refuses to take said people I suppose they could sit there for awhile, but generally speaking 3 days is the accepted limit on how long you can keep someone without charging them with a crime.

IF true, this judge is stupid. AZ law doesn't determine shit. SB1070 doesn't call for AZ to determine if people are here legally in cases where they can't provide proof. It calls for them to turn those folks over to ICE and let THEM deal with it. Now if ICE refuses to take said people I suppose they could sit there for awhile, but generally speaking 3 days is the accepted limit on how long you can keep someone without charging them with a crime.

How many people have been held in a US jail for over 3 days without being charged with a crime? btw, an Arizona police officer disagrees with you -- in open court.

If ICE will hold them indefinitely, does it matter?

I heard on the radio that the Judge in the Arizona immigration law asked the state attorney if she were stopped and taken in until she could prove being a citizen, could she be held indefinitely.

bad news

Last edited:

How many people have been held in a US jail for over 3 days without being charged with a crime? btw, an Arizona police officer disagrees with you -- in open court.

IT shouldn't . What ICE does after AZ turns them over should have NO bearing on this lawsuit.

As for how many people are held for more than 3 days without charges. I'd say damned few.

IT shouldn't . What ICE does after AZ turns them over should have NO bearing on this lawsuit.

As for how many people are held for more than 3 days without charges. I'd say damned few.

If the law has an effect, the Judge will take that into consideration. Judges have always done that. Why? because it goes to the Constitutionality of it all.

do you want the Judge to come down on ICE too? :lol: maybe she should.

DANTE YOU STILL HAVENT READ THE DAMN LAW!!!!! http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

The answer is an obvious No....from the law

arizona immigration law 1070 said:
IF AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES IS CONVICTED OF A VIOLATION OF STATE OR LOCAL LAW, ON DISCHARGE FROM IMPRISONMENT OR ASSESSMENT OF ANY FINE THAT IS IMPOSED, THE ALIEN SHALL BE TRANSFERRED IMMEDIATELY TO THE CUSTODY OF THE UNITED STATES IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT OR THE UNITED STATES CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION.

Its pretty specific that once the intial law that was broken is squared away that they are to be IMMEDIATELY transferred to federal custody.

Gosh dante....for a guy who appears smart you sure are willfully ingorant of this law in many occasions...i know i've given you the link several times you should really read the actual law some time.

DANTE YOU STILL HAVENT READ THE DAMN LAW!!!!! http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

IF AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES IS CONVICTED OF A VIOLATION OF STATE OR LOCAL LAW, ON DISCHARGE FROM IMPRISONMENT OR ASSESSMENT OF ANY FINE THAT IS IMPOSED, THE ALIEN SHALL BE TRANSFERRED IMMEDIATELY TO THE CUSTODY OF THE UNITED STATES IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT OR THE UNITED STATES CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION.

Its pretty specific that once the intial law that was broken is squared away that they are to be IMMEDIATELY transferred to federal custody.

Gosh dante....for a guy who appears smart you sure are willfully ingorant of this law in many occasions...i know i've given you the link several times you should really read the actual law some time.

You cannot read a post.

When asked if she would be held indefinitely John Bouma, an attorney representing the state said:

“There are constitutional limits as to how long somebody can be detained. The police officers are trained in that. We have 15,000 well qualified police officers out there who make these kind of decisions every day,”

I posted: "I for one do not want police officers deciding how long I could be held."

The lawyer going up against the state said “This law expressly allows law enforcement agencies to detain somebody indefinitely until they prove they’re an American citizen,” said Montoya.

both lawyers have read the law as has the Judge. they are arguing in open court over what the law says. I commented on what the lawyer for the state said. I also clarified (without being asked to) that I do not want law enforcement agencies making the decision of how long I could be detained either. that would be post #4, I think.

Last edited:

You cannot read a post.

When asked if she would be held indefinitely John Bouma, an attorney representing the state said:

“There are constitutional limits as to how long somebody can be detained. The police officers are trained in that. We have 15,000 well qualified police officers out there who make these kind of decisions every day,”

I posted: "I for one do not want police officers deciding how long I could be held."

The lawyer going up against the state said “This law expressly allows law enforcement agencies to detain somebody indefinitely until they prove they’re an American citizen,” said Montoya.

both lawyers have read the law as has the Judge. they are arguing in open court over what the law says. I commented on what the lawyer for the state said. I also clarified (without being asked to) that I do not want law enforcement agencies making the decision of how long I could be detained either. that would be post #4, I think.

From your own post "There are constitutional limits to how long somebody can be detained" then you go on to say "I dont want police officers deciding how long I could be held"

Hello....did you read your own post? Obviously not.

And you obviously STILL haven't read the law if your concerned about this. Due some diligence in the future before falling all over yourself dante.

dante said:
New reputation!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, you have received -58 reputation points from Dante.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
you did not read the OP you just strike out wildly

Regards,
Dante

Last edited:

I would suggest you move to China then, because that is exactly how it works in the US. Every time a cop stops you he gets to decide whether or not to detain you or arrest you, and for how long. That is what makes the law work, and makes what the attorney representing AZ right, they are trained in making this decision. I only complain when they get it wrong, not when they get it right, which they do most of the time.

Last edited:

You cannot read a post.

From your own post "There are constitutional limits to how long somebody can be detained" then you go on to say "I dont want police officers deciding how long I could be held"

And you obviously STILL haven't read the law if your concerned about this. Due some diligence in the future before falling all over yourself dante.

dante said:
New reputation!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment:

Regards,
Dante

Of course he didn't read what he was typing, that would require him to think.

You cannot read a post.

dante said:
New reputation!

Comment:

Regards,
Dante

dearest fuckface, put the quotes in context and they mean other than what you suggest. :eusa_shhh:

John Bouma, an attorney representing the state:

dante:
I don't know for sure in this area of the Arizona law, but I believe cops do not get to release people once they are being held. If it is not spelled out, it is an argument that is bogus. I for one do not want police officers deciding how long I could be held. sorry

and I have decided to get generous with you today my old friend:
the question should never be 'did you read the Arizona law?' when you are attempting to debate what the laws say that is the same, or different from what the federal law says, because that is the context of most the arguments coming from your side. :eusa_shhh:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back