Judge hints at bad news: "Will Arizona law hold me indefinitely?"

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Dante, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Judge hints at bad news: "Will Arizona law hold me indefinitely?"

I heard on the radio that the Judge in the Arizona immigration law asked the state attorney if she were stopped and taken in until she could prove being a citizen, could she be held indefinitely. :eusa_whistle:

I don't know for sure in this area of the Arizona law, but I believe cops do not get to release people once they are being held. If it is not spelled out, it is an argument that is bogus. I for one do not want police officers deciding how long I could be held. :eusa_whistle: sorry :redface:

2. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    IF true, this judge is stupid. AZ law doesn't determine shit. SB1070 doesn't call for AZ to determine if people are here legally in cases where they can't provide proof. It calls for them to turn those folks over to ICE and let THEM deal with it. Now if ICE refuses to take said people I suppose they could sit there for awhile, but generally speaking 3 days is the accepted limit on how long you can keep someone without charging them with a crime.

3. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054

How many people have been held in a US jail for over 3 days without being charged with a crime? btw, an Arizona police officer disagrees with you -- in open court.

If ICE will hold them indefinitely, does it matter?

4. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    I heard on the radio that the Judge in the Arizona immigration law asked the state attorney if she were stopped and taken in until she could prove being a citizen, could she be held indefinitely.

“This law expressly allows law enforcement agencies to detain somebody indefinitely until they prove they’re an American citizen,” said Montoya.

bad news

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  5. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897

IT shouldn't . What ICE does after AZ turns them over should have NO bearing on this lawsuit.

As for how many people are held for more than 3 days without charges. I'd say damned few.

6. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    If the law has an effect, the Judge will take that into consideration. Judges have always done that. Why? because it goes to the Constitutionality of it all.

do you want the Judge to come down on ICE too? :lol: maybe she should.

7. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    DANTE YOU STILL HAVENT READ THE DAMN LAW!!!!! http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

The answer is an obvious No....from the law

Its pretty specific that once the intial law that was broken is squared away that they are to be IMMEDIATELY transferred to federal custody.

Gosh dante....for a guy who appears smart you sure are willfully ingorant of this law in many occasions...i know i've given you the link several times you should really read the actual law some time.

8. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054

You cannot read a post.

When asked if she would be held indefinitely John Bouma, an attorney representing the state said:

“There are constitutional limits as to how long somebody can be detained. The police officers are trained in that. We have 15,000 well qualified police officers out there who make these kind of decisions every day,”

I posted: "I for one do not want police officers deciding how long I could be held."

The lawyer going up against the state said “This law expressly allows law enforcement agencies to detain somebody indefinitely until they prove they’re an American citizen,” said Montoya.

both lawyers have read the law as has the Judge. they are arguing in open court over what the law says. I commented on what the lawyer for the state said. I also clarified (without being asked to) that I do not want law enforcement agencies making the decision of how long I could be detained either. that would be post #4, I think.

9. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    being as adept as looking things up as you do, I suspect you dodged this one. :eusa_whistle:

10. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    From your own post "There are constitutional limits to how long somebody can be detained" then you go on to say "I dont want police officers deciding how long I could be held"

Hello....did you read your own post? Obviously not.

And you obviously STILL haven't read the law if your concerned about this. Due some diligence in the future before falling all over yourself dante.