Judge finds NC ‘Choose Life’ plates unconstitutional

Judge finds NC ‘Choose Life’ plates unconstitutional | MyFOX8.com

RALEIGH, N.C. – A federal judge has ruled it is unconstitutional for North Carolina to issue pro-life license plates unless the state offers similar plates supporting abortion rights.

U.S. District Court Judge James C. Fox ruled on Friday that North Carolina cannot produce or distribute the “Choose Life” plate.

Good. Glad to hear it.

Tax payer dollars shouldn't be used to endorse one opinion over another.

RALEIGH, N.C. – A federal judge has ruled it is unconstitutional for North Carolina to issue pro-life license plates unless the state offers similar plates supporting abortion rights.

U.S. District Court Judge James C. Fox ruled on Friday that North Carolina cannot produce or distribute the “Choose Life” plate.

Good. Glad to hear it.

Choose death would be the other opinion? Kind of negative.

They are vanity plates in Ohio where the consumer pays extra for them. According to the site, "$20.00 of the total plate cost will go towards funding eligible private, nonprofit organizations that provide services committed to counseling pregnant women about the option of adoption."

http://bmv.ohio.gov/sp_choose_life.stm

Last edited:
I've never understood the reasons for all these different types of plates. When I was growing up, each state had ONE color scheme.

Nowadays...are you a vet? There's a plate for that! And not just some generic veteran shit. No. There's plates for Coast Guard, Marines, Navy, Army, Purple Heat awardees, on and on.

Hunter? There's a plate for that! Fisherman? There's a plate for that!

Are you a member of the Elks? There's even a frickin' plate for that!

What, a bumper sticker isn't good enough to show off your affections any more?

http://www.cafepress.com/+pro-life+bumper-stickers

Last edited:
I've never understood the reasons for all these different types of plates. When I was growing up, each state had ONE color scheme.

Nowadays...are you a vet? There's a plate for that! And not just some generic veteran shit. No. There's plates for Coast Guard, Marines, Navy, Army, Purple Heat awardees, on and on.

Hunter? There's a plate for that! Fisherman? There's a plate for that!

Are you a member of the Elks? There's even a frickin' plate for that!

What, a bumper sticker isn't good enough to show off your affections any more?

Very true. I must admit I do have Red Sox vanity plates because I love the team and the charity gets the money. Dana Farber. Win-win.

Good. Glad to hear it.

Choose death would be the other opinion? Kind of negative.

They are vanity plates in Ohio where the consumer pays extra for them. According to the site, "$20.00 of the total plate cost will go towards funding eligible private, nonprofit organizations that provide services committed to counseling pregnant women about the option of adoption."

ODPS | BMV | Special License Plates
I'd prefer choose nothing. The state shouldn't be meddling in controversial subjects like that on something silly like vanity plates. If you want to pay extra to make your own custom number or words on a plate then that is one thing but the plates themselves shouldn't create controversy.

That's why we have federal judges deciding things like this. States cannot be trusted not to screw it up.

Regards from Rosie

Let them issue pro abortion plates. What would they look like? "Choose death" and a skull and crossbones? How about a frankenstein machine sucking the brains out of living babies? Maybe a long shot of a premature baby dying naked on a stainless table? Maybe "consider modern eugenics" or " make a buck, let the abortion industry sell your unwanted fetus". Go for it lefties.

The reason for them is that the state makes money off of them.

These various vanity plates are touting various groups and causes are paid for by the driver who chooses to fork over the extra money.

Why is a Federal judge denying the people of a state the right to pay extra for whatever plate they want?

Couldn't pro-choice do the same?

Could a Yankee Fan demand I stop using my Red Sox plates?:razz:

license-100108-licenseplate-hmed-12p-grid-6x2.jpg

These various vanity plates are touting various groups and causes are paid for by the driver who chooses to fork over the extra money.

Why is a Federal judge denying the people of a state the right to pay extra for whatever plate they want?

The judge is saying they have to offer pro-choice if they want to continue to offer pro-life, not that they have to stop offering the pro-life ones.

The problem with liberals is that they don't want to be 'confronted' with ANYTHING that goes against their worldview.

A 'pro-choice' plate wouldn't be enough, the 'pro-life' message MUST BE SILENCED!!

The actual ruling is linked at the bottom of the article.

Holy Shit!!

What goes on in these backwards red states?

Thank God for the federal courts.

The judge is saying they have to offer pro-choice if they want to continue to offer pro-life, not that they have to stop offering the pro-life ones.

I'm not sure how it all works and who decides to start these plates. I just know many years ago we had a chance to pay extra to support Dana Farber through Red Sox vanity plates and we did. No one said other sports had to be represented, although now there are several plates doing just that as well as numerous causes and not all "causes" have a pro and con requirement.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back