Judge: Family’s $80 million gold coin collection belongs to uncle sam

They were originally stolen from the US Government. People have no right to keep stolen property.

I hope the US government sells them instead of melts them down, though. Or puts them in the National Archives.

Of course because the guberment said so.:eusa_whistle:
Okay genius, if they were never put into circulation, how did these people get them?

There's ALWAYS advanced orders for uncirculated or "1st press" coins. The OFFICIAL release date wasn't yet there, but I bet there was a short list of collectors that got their "pre-release" orders filled.. Probably recieved them in a special velvet commemorative box with a certificate signed by FDR too!!!! :cool:

They were originally stolen from the US Government. People have no right to keep stolen property.

I hope the US government sells them instead of melts them down, though. Or puts them in the National Archives.

Gross oversimplification of the issue. There are numersous circimstances where a person can gain legal title to stolen property, ask one of your lawyer friends if you don't believe me.

It's not incumbant on the government to prove that. There's a law. You are not allowed to own these. Period. How you got them is irrelevent to the point.

You just proved my point, believe it or not. It should be required that the government prove a crime took place before they can seize assets involved in the crime. The fact that you don't get that is the entire problem.

Gosh darn it...they should have had a trial...with a jury and all....:eusa_whistle:

Damn, you would have a point if Joe hadn't argued that a trial was not necessary because the coins belonged to the government simply because the were currency and that the government was not required to prove anything.

Okay genius, if they were never put into circulation, how did these people get them?

There's ALWAYS advanced orders for uncirculated or "1st press" coins. The OFFICIAL release date wasn't yet there, but I bet there was a short list of collectors that got their "pre-release" orders filled.. Probably recieved them in a special velvet commemorative box with a certificate signed by FDR too!!!! :cool:

There would be a record of that. Fail.

You just proved my point, believe it or not. It should be required that the government prove a crime took place before they can seize assets involved in the crime. The fact that you don't get that is the entire problem.

Gosh darn it...they should have had a trial...with a jury and all....:eusa_whistle:

It was at one time accepted that citizens had rights

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized
Again...if they'd only been afforded a trial........

Why were they minted if it was not the purpose to place them in circulation?

Saint-Gaudens double eagle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The coin was minted, primarily for use in international trade, until 1933

It was at one time accepted that citizens had rights

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized
Again...if they'd only been afforded a trial........

Should the accuser take it to trial?

They obviously did not steal them since the alleged theft occurred before they were born.

and, what happened in 1933? derpderpderp

Dumb ass the coins were in circulation before 1933 FDR confiscated those coins in 1933 it should not have been allowed then nor should it be allowed now.

and, what happened in 1933? derpderpderp

Dumb ass the coins were in circulation before 1933 FDR confiscated those coins in 1933 it should not have been allowed then nor should it be allowed now.

"child, learn something before you spout off", was probably said to you all your life; never did you act on it.

you are borderline retarded, but have one of the biggest mouths on this board.

go eat mud.

There would be a record of that. Fail.

Not failed.. There WERE RECORDS.. THey DID track almost all of them down. Doesn't stop 3 or 4 transfers from occuring in a month and making it too difficult for them trace.. These advanced orders went out -- the edict came down and FDR had bigger problems than tracking a couple hundred coins..

And we all know how competent the govt is in tracking stuff like coins and terrorists and assault weapons.. :eusa_shifty:

The reason THESE COINS are so valuable is only BECAUSE they were 1933 first (and only) issues. PLENTY of Gold Double Eagles out there from EARLIER dates because people were ALLOWED to keep up to FIVE of them.

So, all gold was supposed to be turned in for cash. This would cover any antique jewelry or other items people have.

No, all Gold COINS were supposed to be turned in for cash.

NOT ---- just gold coins. The confiscation included bullion and certificates as well.

At that point -- the objective was to prevent hoarding because the currency was BACKED by gold. And FDR wanted to revalue the currency so ALL gold was subject to repricing and recall. Personal exemptions excluded MOST EVERYONE except the large holders.

THESE coins LEAKED out of the Mint prior to official release. They actually traced and recovered the MAJORITY of the leaked coins. So in that sense -- you are correct. THey were covered by the Exec Order. Doesn't change the fact that today's prosecution is pretty pointless and vindictive.

Well, yeah, actually, it's right on the mark. Because the guy whose safety deposit box these were found in was also involved in about 20 or so other Double Eagles that have been caught on the black market. (Again, HT to L.K. Elder for the article that was a lot more honest about this case, it confirmed what my brother was talking about.)

That's why I find the Beck title "family's coin's stolen". Instead of "theif's loot recovered", which would have been more accurate.

Forum List

Back