Judge Declares Ban on Gay Marriage Unconstitutional

I may not be awake yet...but did someone just say that freeing the slaves was unconstitutional?

Apparently you are not awake. He said the opposite, that the courts had claimed slavery WAS constitutional. Under that I can only assume that he is referring to the fact that the court does not always make the correct decision. BTW... I do not believe that the court ever ruled in that manner anyway. The court DID rule that separate but equal was constitutional at first and that is, in essence, the same point. Sometimes the court is pushed to make an incorrect ruling based on political and social pressures.

Who said the opposite?

BTW...the courts said that blacks were not citizens....(are you saying Chief Justice Taney was "pushed" based on political and social pressures?)

Mal. I was unsure whether or not the court had ruled on that or not. Thank you for the info.

As far as 'pushed' I may have used bad wording. I meant that the social and political norms affect the courts decisions and mindset. That creates court rulings that can directly appose each other.

Forum List

Back