Judge considers the killing of a peeping Tom to be a hate crime

tim_duncan2000

Jan 11, 2004
"He was part of a thug brigade stalking innocent victims for their own entertainment," he told the court as members of the young man's family looked on.

"This was an egregious and extremely violent act. It warrants a sentence that must reflect the abhorrence of civilized society at such a heinous crime."

Three years -- two in custody and one under outside supervision -- is the maximum punishment for manslaughter provided by the Youth Criminal Justice Act. After the sentence was imposed, the youth, who cannot be identified, was led away in handcuffs by court sheriffs. He showed no emotion.

Judge Romilly rejected Crown submissions that the beating of Mr. Webster was not a hate crime, based on the youth's claim that he and his friends were not looking for gays. Rather, the teenager told police, they were out to get "peeping toms" who spied on couples in cars parked at Stanley Park.

The judge noted that Mr. Webster was naked, except for socks and shoes, when he was savagely attacked and wondered how the attackers could be so naive as to fail to notice they were in an area of Stanley Park "frequented by gays.

And even if the youth were believed, an act demonstrating hatred toward peeping toms was also a hate crime, Judge Romilly said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20031219.wugaybash19/BNStory/Front/

Obviously, they should be charged with something and serve time in jail, but I don't think it's a hate crime. They were drunk and I don't think they probably meant to kill him.

Also, where will this end? What other groups are they going to add? Maybe it will be a hate crime if someone beats up a pedophile or a rapist. This is why I think hate crime laws are stupid. There are already enough laws on the books to adequately prosecute people.

Thought crime is getting close to reality. What garbage!-

We are a nation of laws--------way too f***ing many !!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess this judge has never encountered a masturbating pervert in his laundry room.....I have. My step father is not a violent man, but if he was going to murder someone, it would have been that sicko!

Forum List

Back