Juarez family's tragedy illustrates lawlessness rampant across Mexico

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico - A daughter is found dismembered. Her mother is shot dead trying to bring the killer to justice. Two days later, a brother-in-law's body is dumped on the street after his lumber business is torched.

No one is under arrest for any of the crimes, and there is little hope that the cases will be solved. The tragedies befalling an extended family in Ciudad Juarez lay bare the lawlessness that plagues not only Mexico's most violent city, but the entire country.

The case of Marisela Escobedo Ortiz, slain last week as she demanded justice for her dead daughter outside the Chihuahua state governor's office, has gripped the country. President Felipe Calderón, kidnap victim Diego Fernandez de Cevallos and even the Sinaloa drug cartel have all weighed in; Fernandez de Cevallos spoke about Escobedo just hours after he was released by his captors Monday from his own seven-month ordeal.

"On the one hand, I'm very happy to be reunited with my loved ones, my family," the wealthy power broker said in a radio interview. "At the same time, I feel enormous pain to hear of the disgraces being done in this country, like the poor woman who was assassinated in Chihuahua."

The Sinaloa cartel, waging a deadly battle with the rival Juarez cartel for control of the city, hung two banners early Tuesday claiming solidarity with Escobedo's family and offering to find her killer.

Escobedo's daughter, Rubi Frayre Escobedo, was killed in 2008, allegedly by her live-in boyfriend, Sergio Barraza, who was arrested then later released for lack of evidence.

Escobedo's death last week was captured on a surveillance video that showed a masked man shooting her point-blank in the head as she tried to flee - even though state security officials had been assigned to protect her.

Two days later, the body of Manuel Monge Amparan, 36, was found asphyxiated and wrapped in a blanket after his family business, Lumber and Materials Monge, was deliberately set on fire, prosecutors said. Monge was the brother of Escobedo's partner, Jose Monge.

The killings don't seem to be directly related. The daughter may have been killed out of jealousy, the mother out of revenge, and neighboring business owners have speculated that Monge was a victim of extortion, a crime that has devastated Juarez's small-business sector, causing 40 percent of businesses to close in some commercial districts. Drug traffickers and other gangs charge businesses a "protection fee" to operate, often kidnapping owners or torching property if they don't pay.

What they have in common is that none of the killers has yet been brought to justice.

Escobedo's attorney, Lucha Castro, said remaining members of the family have fled the country in fear of their lives.

Records obtained by The Associated Press show that last year, when 2,600 people were killed in Ciudad Juarez, prosecutors filed 93 homicide cases and got 19 convictions. This year the number of homicides has exceeded 3,000.

Juarez family's tragedy illustrates lawlessness rampant across Mexico

Just in case the mainstreet media 'forgot' to report it.

No, not civility since they don't know how to be civil. What I do expect is for WA to wake up and secure the border!!!! Stop giving Mexico so much consideration and stop them from calling the shots as to what to do about illegal immigration and our borders!! I just heard some Mexican politician say that the USA is the one who should stop the violence in Mexico since the USA is the biggest consumer of drugs! What the hell is that about?? They don't have the brains to take care of their own people now they want the USA to stop the violence that THEIR system has perpetrated!!!!

'Life has little value'...
frown.gif

Suicide in Ciudad Juarez: Where life has little value
Sun, 05 Feb 2017 - Irene Caselli reports from Ciudad Juarez in Mexico on the rise in suicides among the city's youth.
Ciudad Juarez, the border city in northern Mexico which between 2008 and 2011 had the dubious reputation of being the murder capital of the world, has seen its homicide rate fall since 2012. But as Irene Caselli reports, the city's high levels of violence have had long-term psychological effects on its residents, especially its youth. Luis Mercado was 16 when he had his first panic attack. It was during a school break. He just felt the urge to run away and hide. It was at this point that he went to the school bathroom and started cutting himself.

_93921782_9e6dbc71-b1a3-496f-9728-f0dbc512600e.jpg

Suicide among young people is on the rise in Mexico and there are murals in Ciudad Juarez remembering those who died by suicide​

Self-harming became a habit he felt he could control... until he had another panic attack. "It was like a balloon. You can fill it with water but it has a limit. When it fills up too much, it bursts," he says of his feelings at the time. "Once it has exploded into pieces, it is not a balloon anymore," Luis says speaking slowly, sitting on a sofa in his home. "I feel that this is what happened to me. So many years went by with me filling up the balloon that it eventually burst."

Violence at home

Luis' family was not directly affected by the drug-related violence, which accounted for many of the 10,000 murders committed in Ciudad Juarez between 2008 and 2011. And yet from his earliest years he has been a witness to violence. Luis' father was killed when Luis was just one year old. It was Luis' mother who murdered him.

_93922102_gettyimages-619116384.jpg

Catrinas are popular figures at Day of the Dead celebrations, but Silvia Aguirre thinks despite this joyous portrayal of skeletons, Mexicans are failing to face pain​

She was convicted and jailed. After her release, she died in what the coroner said were suspicious circumstances. Luis was 11 at the time. One night five years on, Luis tried to kill himself. But in the end he did not go through with it. He says he does not know what stopped him. "Sometimes I ask myself why I did not keep going if I felt so scared. I wonder why I did not do it," he recalls.

'Life has little value'

Forum List

Back