J's meatloaf

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
I may be biased, but I'm told I make a wicked meat loaf... so here ya go....

1 lb griound sirloin
1 lb ground turkey (dark meat)
1 10 oz can tomato sauce
3/4 cup quaker oats
3/4 cup dried onion flakes
1 egg
red pepper
tarragon
rosemary
black pepper
red pepper (dried -- the kind you'd find in a pizza place)
hot sauce (I like Crystal for this, but you can use any you prefer)
gravy master
red wine

Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit

Mix tomato sauce, egg, oats, and onion flakes in a big mixing bowl. Add tarragon, rosemary, (probably between a half tsp and a tsp each, but I do it by feel), black pepper, red pepper and hot sauce to taste.. don't go too heavy on the peppers or that's all you'll taste and it will be too hot).

Once you mix the above, add ground sirloin and turkey. Mix in well using your hands to make sure that the two kinds of meat are well blended so you don't have areas of turkey and areas of meat.

Place in a pyrex pan, either the 11" x 7" x 1-1/2" rectangular baking dish or the 4.5" x 8.5" x 3" Loaf ... shape mixture into a loaf, leaving about a half inch all around the outside of the meat.

Pour red wine in the space left around the meat loaf, about a quarter of the height of the loaf. Add about 4 splashes of gravy master to the wine, then mix it in a bit so that it blends into the wine.

Cook for 1 1/2 hours.

The trick to this meatloaf is the wine. It shouldn't be stuff that's not good enough to drink a glass of while you're cooking. Bad wine makes for bad-tasting food.

Enjoy!

Happy Holidays!

I may be biased, but I'm told I make a wicked meat loaf... so here ya go....

1 lb griound sirloin
1 lb ground turkey (dark meat)
1 10 oz can tomato sauce
3/4 cup quaker oats
3/4 cup dried onion flakes
1 egg
red pepper
tarragon
rosemary
black pepper
red pepper (dried -- the kind you'd find in a pizza place)
hot sauce (I like Crystal for this, but you can use any you prefer)
gravy master
red wine

Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit

Mix tomato sauce, egg, oats, and onion flakes in a big mixing bowl. Add tarragon, rosemary, (probably between a half tsp and a tsp each, but I do it by feel), black pepper, red pepper and hot sauce to taste.. don't go too heavy on the peppers or that's all you'll taste and it will be too hot).

Once you mix the above, add ground sirloin and turkey. Mix in well using your hands to make sure that the two kinds of meat are well blended so you don't have areas of turkey and areas of meat.

Place in a pyrex pan, either the 11" x 7" x 1-1/2" rectangular baking dish or the 4.5" x 8.5" x 3" Loaf ... shape mixture into a loaf, leaving about a half inch all around the outside of the meat.

Pour red wine in the space left around the meat loaf, about a quarter of the height of the loaf. Add about 4 splashes of gravy master to the wine, then mix it in a bit so that it blends into the wine.

Cook for 1 1/2 hours.

The trick to this meatloaf is the wine. It shouldn't be stuff that's not good enough to drink a glass of while you're cooking. Bad wine makes for bad-tasting food.

Enjoy!

Happy Holidays!

Now that does sound awesome, I'll try it!

I love when the NY Times calls him Mr. Loaf. :clap2:

And if you hate the food meat loaf, doesn't matter how good mine is, so I won't take it personally. :eusa_hand: :razz:

Now, if you get rid of that goofy wine mixture you're drowning the poor thing in, and make a mixture of ketchup, steak sauce, spicy BBQ sauce, honey, and cracked pepper, and top said meatloaf, and broil for just a minute or two, you'll have a *real* good meatloaf. (Oh, and the key to proper taste is to not make it in a "loaf" pan, but pat it in to a 9x13 cake pan.) This way, you always get the right amount of sauce with the right amount of meat. :D

Sorry... I'm not much for ketchup based meatloaf. And BBQ Sauce has molasses and is way too sweet. Don't knock it til you've tried it. I've never had leftovers yet when I've made it for company. ;)

And the wine keeps it from being dry like most meat loaf.

I could make it like yours, but then it wouldn't be mine. :eusa_angel:

Sorry... I'm not much for ketchup based meatloaf. And BBQ Sauce has molasses and is way too sweet. Don't knock it til you've tried it. I've never had leftovers yet when I've made it for company. ;)

And the wine keeps it from being dry like most meat loaf.

I could make it like yours, but then it wouldn't be mine. :eusa_angel:

I'm just helping you get it out of that pool of goo. :eusa_whistle:

And...DRIED onion flakes? Oh dear. (Where's my "nono" emoticon when I need it)...

You could post your own recipe and leave the critique of mine to people who've had it. :eusa_whistle:

Now where would the fun in that be? EVERYONE makes fun of meatloaf - whether they eat it or not. :)

Besides, this board needs something besides MM and RGS shrieking at each other like schoolgirls.

glooowin' like the metal on the edge of a knife.. Gloooowin' like the...

I'm going to try your meatloaf, Jillian. While I consider myself quite proficient in the kitchen I have only made one meatloaf in my entire life... and it was an experiment that had very poor results. In fact, I kinda like the idea of a christmas meatloaf. It might just go very well with my Thanksgiving Tacos.

Forum List

Back