Josh Duggar And The Message Of Forgiveness

I find a lot of parallels between Cosby and Josh. Both had secret sexual obsessions, while trading on their wholesomeness. In one respect, Cosby is worse, since he refuses to just go away, and is now allowing his wife to make a fool of herself while he hides behind her skirts. On the other hand, Josh is worse, since he preyed on children. but, at least, he is smart enough to disappear, and keep a low profile.

In the prison world, the three lowest forms of life are imprisoned cops, snitches, and child molesters, with molesters being the lowest. They are routinely kept segregated, to protect their lives. While I find that Josh is, in fact, scum, I would not want him imprisoned, unless convicted for something new, since he would probably be killed in prison. The fact that he is no longer on the radar is enough for me. Forgiveness? Not by me. But, his fate up to now is of his own doing, and well deserved. Those that claim that he is guilty only of "playing doctor" are beyond the pale, anyway, so I don't concern myself with their opinions.

As for the Duggar family, their issues go deeper. These people pimp their kids out to make a living. Should they be penalized for Josh's misbehavior? No. They should be penalized for making media whores out of themselves. Frankly, many of those kids are never going to have a normal life.

I have not seen a single soul defend Josh Duggar or what he did.

Someone needs to read their posts again.......claiming that we should ignore this crime because it happened a long time ago, without proof that Josh Duggar has actually been vindicated by all victims is Defending Josh Duggar.

If there are such posts, I am sure you can post the post numbers. Selective reading and interpretation is not an honest portrayal of what anybody has said. For instance I am pretty darn sure nobody has said that Josh Duggar has been vindicated by any victims, let alone all. I certainly have not said that; in fact have pretty effectively said the polar opposite of that. Making a little effort to represent what people actually said instead of rewriting it into a straw man would great strengthen the argument.

I'm not going to go through all your posts....but it is clear that you have insinuated that because it happened so long ago (12 years) that we should not bring it up....and you also claimed that all the victims have moved on, but apparently the babysitter, who has now filed a suit against him, hasn't, and for that reason alone, he should be held accountable.

You claim that "demanding that one person bear the most severe penalty of law but give those we like pretty much a pass" but that is exactly what conservatives are doing....you certainly did not give Bill Clinton a pass, most conservatives still bring up his indiscretion and call him a pedophile, yet he was never convicted, but you are willing to give Josh Duggar a pass when he has never even been called to account for what he did. You also have no proof that what Josh Duggar did caused no lasting harm. Just because his sisters are willing to hush up about it, doesn't mean that they are not suffering, and certainly the baby sitter may be.

Also, since when is it up to different individuals to search our own hearts for what is appropriate in any given case? A sexual crime is a crime, and there are punishments that go along with that crime, and it is up to a jury to decide what is appropriate, not those who happen to know him or like him.

Did you demand the same for Barney Frank? For Bill Clinton? For Gerry Studds? For Ted Kennedy and/or his nephew who he defended? Etc. etc. etc. Once we get on the slippery slope of demanding that one person bear the most severe penalty of law but give those we like pretty much a pass, it all becomes quite murky and the lines of justice become very blurred.

I think each of us has to search our own heart for what is appropriate in any given case. It seems to me that Josh Duggar has suffered huge public embarrassment and significant consequence for his past sins. If his sisters can forgive him and assure us that all is well, what is it to the rest of us to allow him to get on with his life? What purpose is served by locking up a repentent adult because of something stupid he did in his youth that caused no lasting harm?

I think each of us has to search our own heart for what is appropriate in any given case. It seems to me that Josh Duggar has suffered huge public embarrassment and significant consequence for his past sins. If his sisters can forgive him and assure us that all is well, what is it to the rest of us to allow him to get on with his life? What purpose is served by locking up a repentent adult because of something stupid he did in his youth?

I don't remember a lot of RWnut recommendations of counseling, understanding, and forgiveness for Bill Clinton having an affair with a consenting adult.

So that makes quid pro quo honorable? If we use the 'they did it first' or 'they do it too' as legitimate argument for attacking people, it is no wonder this is an increasingly sorry world we live in.

Well in keeping with Jesus admonition to "Judge not lest we be judged also", I don't know what is in the heart and mind of the scoffers. I will judge their actions as a destructive, mean spirited, hateful dynamic, but it has not been given to me to judge the people or know what evil prompts their behavior.

I just know there's an awful lot of it going around and that our common lives together suffers because of it.

when you scoff at his scoffers is it not destructive, mean spirited, hateful, or evil?

I don't scoff at the scoffers. But I have my own perceptions of right and wrong, good and bad, just and unjust, and I think we are commanded to judge the behavior of everybody including ourselves.

Well yes, I haven't sent any e-mails or demanded my Congressman do something.

There is zero evidence because no one has looked into it or because they have done an investigation and found none of his children or others having been offended?

We don't know what psychological evaluations or background checks there have been, but in most organizations involving children these days, those are pretty comprehensive. And yes, some pervs and serial offenders still get through the background checks.

Yes, when it is reported and DHS is involved, which I believe they are now and are currently investigating.

But it is not for us who are not there, who don't know, who can't know what has been done or what the situation is to judge who and what Josh Duggar is now, 12 years after his offenses as a 14-15 year old kid. If everybody who ever did anything sexually inappropriate as a curious kid is to be forever condemned, there won't be a hell of a lot of us who aren't condemned.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I never did anything sexually inappropriate when I was 14, 15, 16, 17, or ever. We're talking criminal action here.....I really don't believe that too many people would be condemned for something like that. But I don't see anything wrong with people expressing their opinions and demanding an investigation, why should Josh be given a pass?

Well good for you that you never did anything inappropriate. I doubt many people can say that. I had my own experiences with the neighborhood boys around that age and while extremely annoying and sometimes embarrassing it certainly did not traumatize me. Nor do I believe any of those boys, or a couple of girls who were sexually aggressive, grew up to be perverts or molesters or anything other than decent family men or women and good citizens. Certainly it would never have occurred to me to report them 12 years after the fact. And I'm pretty sure their parents to this day have no clue what they were doing back then. But could I and some of the other girls make their lives miserable by outing them now in the always-willing-for-a-good-scandal media? Sure we could. And it would be cruel and wrong to do so.

Again it is all a matter of proportion. And also a matter of just plain old common sense sometimes.

Well Mertex and Foxfyre, as I am not American and don't have a horse in the race so to speak, I don't care for the political angle. Crimes are crimes. When it happended it should have been reported to the police and not a highway patrolman and friend of the family who was a pedo. We do not know what has happened in the last 12 years Foyfyre precicely because it wasn't reported and there was no follow up. That is the whole point.

The offenses were reported to the police and there was an investigation. The 'victims', who didn't feel all that victimized, were solemnly assured their testimony would never be made public. The only reason the victims came forward now to tell their story is because the police report was vindictively and mean spiritedly made public in a most cruel manner. And now the victims, who had long put this behind them and have long forgiven their brother, are being victimized again by those who get their jollies from demonizing people in cases like this. I personally believe it is mostly because Josh Duggar is a conservative evangelical Christian that the attack dogs are gleefully attempting to rip him apart and in the process are hurting many other people. You don't see them attacking as passionately or with such conviction any of their own.

What Josh Duggar did was very wrong which he confessed and acknowledged. None of his victims were materially harmed and there apparently is no on going trauma from it. There is zero evidence that he ever committed that kind of particular sin in the 12 years since it occurred. It is wrong to dredge it up now for sport and purient vindictiveness. His victims have forgiven him and have moved on. We all should do the same until he gives anybody any reason to believe he is a danger to himself or others and stop victimizing the victims which is what we are mostly doing.

Oh yeah, can't let a good scandal go to waste can we. Especially if the focus of it is rich and famous and substantial money can be made. And there is already a lot of discussion about it out there. Would the baby sitter have filed suit without all the sensational publicity? If not, what were her damages really?

Maybe it's as bad as you seem to want it to be Mertex. I don't know. But I am pretty sure we wouldn't be having this discussion if Josh Duggar and his family weren't Christian, conservative, and rich.

I am ABSOLUTELY sure that this conversation would not be happening is Josh were an atheist. Conservatives would be the first to hang him from the nearest live oak tree.
This thread was started because Josh Duggars asked for forgiveness. The purpose of this thread is to spread the good news that the forgiveness he received is available for all sinners. This isn't a thread about Josh Duggars, it's a thread about Jesus Christ who was offered up as a ransom for many.

What Josh received you can too. All you have to do is ask.

I find a lot of parallels between Cosby and Josh. Both had secret sexual obsessions, while trading on their wholesomeness. In one respect, Cosby is worse, since he refuses to just go away, and is now allowing his wife to make a fool of herself while he hides behind her skirts. On the other hand, Josh is worse, since he preyed on children. but, at least, he is smart enough to disappear, and keep a low profile.

In the prison world, the three lowest forms of life are imprisoned cops, snitches, and child molesters, with molesters being the lowest. They are routinely kept segregated, to protect their lives. While I find that Josh is, in fact, scum, I would not want him imprisoned, unless convicted for something new, since he would probably be killed in prison. The fact that he is no longer on the radar is enough for me. Forgiveness? Not by me. But, his fate up to now is of his own doing, and well deserved. Those that claim that he is guilty only of "playing doctor" are beyond the pale, anyway, so I don't concern myself with their opinions.

As for the Duggar family, their issues go deeper. These people pimp their kids out to make a living. Should they be penalized for Josh's misbehavior? No. They should be penalized for making media whores out of themselves. Frankly, many of those kids are never going to have a normal life.
Until Cosby comes to terms with what he did and asks forgiveness from those he victimized and from God, there is no functional comparison to be made.

The adult Duggars are definitely responsible for not protecting their daughters after they told them what Josh was doing. Instead, they hid him and allowed him to continue after he came back. And, that's what they're still doing.

Agree about them pimping out their kids. Since its their religious beliefs to crank out as many as possible, they're also pimping out their supposed beliefs. What they really believe in is money.

I also agree about Cosby hiding behind his wife, just as Josh Duggar is hiding behind his religion, his victims and his parents.

The victims always get a life sentence while most perpetrators get off scot free.

Until Cosby comes to terms with what he did and asks forgiveness from those he victimized and from God, there is no functional comparison to be made.

saintmichaeldefendthem

Avatar4321 spewed the same line about forgiving him and letting him off the hook.

Ridiculous to believe that parroting some mumbo jumbo makes everything alright again.

Where does that leave Cosby's and Josh's victims?

Josh's religion blames the victims and rewards the molester, just as other fundies do. It also insures his safety while he continues to hone his skills.

When are you phony christians going to side with the victims?

I haven't seen a soul here or anywhere else who has defended him.

Then you are blind as a bat. Calling child molestation the normal curiosity of a teenager IS defending him. It is not normal, not one whit.
No it isn't defending him, it's seeing his offense in the proper light without the enhancement of political malice.
Proper light? You think the average teenage kid should be molesting young girls out of sexual curiosity? You are sick.

Then you are blind as a bat. Calling child molestation the normal curiosity of a teenager IS defending him. It is not normal, not one whit.
No it isn't defending him, it's seeing his offense in the proper light without the enhancement of political malice.
Proper light? You think the average teenage kid should be molesting young girls out of sexual curiosity? You are sick.
No, not a single person on this thread has said this is appropriate behavior. You need to stop lying because lying comes with eternal consequences that require the forgiveness of God that is the subject of this thread.

No, not a single person on this thread has said this is appropriate behavior. You need to stop lying because lying comes with eternal consequences that require the forgiveness of God that is the subject of this thread.

saintmichaeldefendthem
Foxfyre

And yet you (all) celebrate Josh Duggar's lies, his father and mother's lies, his siblings lies and his church's lies and tell us we should forgive them all.

What about the victims of child predators?

Don't deny that some of you and others have said Josh's serial molestations were nothing more than innocent playing doctor and that all kids do it. His own father said that "a lot" of his friends have had the same thing happen in their family and that theirs was "a lot worse".

You fundies don't have a leg to stand on in this issue. You can blather on about "forgiving" him and "forgiving" those vile criminal parents and "forgiving" that asssinine church that blames the victims but nothing will change the fact that he is a serial predophile and is getting away with his crimes.

I ask again - When are you so-called christians going to take the side of the victims of child predators?:

It sure is defending him. And he can be forgiven all you want by Jesus Christ....that still doesn't mean he has paid his due to society. Any prisoner/criminal can receive forgiveness from Jesus...that doesn't mean that society lets them go free....for one thing, nobody knows if they have truly repented except themselves and Jesus, and Jesus isn't giving us the information. Nice try.

Then why are you all agreeing that we should leave him alone?

Of course it isn't appropriate behavior...and that is why we have laws....to make sure that people like Josh Duggar don't hurt anyone else. He can be forgiven by God, but that is between him and God....we have a society that demands certain punishment for such behavior and everyone of you are saying that Josh Duggar can be exempt from it. If that isn't defending him, then you all need to look up the defenition of "defend".

1. de·fend

2. v. verb

If only RW christians really believed that.

You are the one who is lying, and I guess Jesus would not like it at all that you are. It has been said over and over again on both of these threads that it is just the curiousity of a teenage boy. That is defending it. If you can't see that, you are either too stupid to or are in denial. I think you are in denial.

saintmichaeldefendthem
Foxfyre

And yet you (all) celebrate Josh Duggar's lies, his father and mother's lies, his siblings lies and his church's lies and tell us we should forgive them all.

Don't deny that some of you and others have said Josh's serial molestations were nothing more than innocent playing doctor and that all kids do it. His own father said that "a lot" of his friends have had the same thing happen in their family and that theirs was "a lot worse".

You fundies don't have a leg to stand on in this issue. You can blather on about "forgiving" him and "forgiving" those vile criminal parents and "forgiving" that asssinine church that blames the victims but nothing will change the fact that he is a serial predophile and is getting away with his crimes.

I ask again - When are you so-called christians going to take the side of the victims of child predators?:

OMG. Seriously? I didn't know his father had said that. This is just disgusting that these people think or want to believe that such molestation is normal or typical in most households. Unbelievable. Just sick.

saintmichaeldefendthem
Foxfyre

OMG. Seriously? I didn't know his father had said that. This is just disgusting that these people think or want to believe that such molestation is normal or typical in most households. Unbelievable. Just sick.

Yes. Jim Bob said that in the fox "interview" and those were his exact words.

~~~

Question: have we seen even one RW fundie side with the victims of any child predator? I'm including Ted Nugent and Duck Dynasty creep in this question. Huckster too.

Has even one RW ever EVER sided with the child victim?

This is what fundie Christian theocracy would look like. 'Christian' child molesters getting a pass.

And now they will give him a pass for committing adultery. His wife won't leave him and they'll adulate her while at the same time vilifying Hillary Clinton for staying with Bill....because they are hypocrites. Josh Duggar did more harm to Christianity with his fake act of being remorseful. What a creep.

After it emerged in May that Duggar had abused his sisters, he lost his role with the Family Research Council, a conservative Christian group.
He had led its lobbying efforts in Washington DC against divorce, pornography and gay marriage, among other issues.

Ashley Madison: Josh Duggar Admits Adultery

This is what fundie Christian theocracy would look like. 'Christian' child molesters getting a pass.

And now they will give him a pass for committing adultery. His wife won't leave him and they'll adulate her while at the same time vilifying Hillary Clinton for staying with Bill....because they are hypocrites. Josh Duggar did more harm to Christianity with his fake act of being remorseful. What a creep.

After it emerged in May that Duggar had abused his sisters, he lost his role with the Family Research Council, a conservative Christian group.
He had led its lobbying efforts in Washington DC against divorce, pornography and gay marriage, among other issues.

It depends what definition one goes by as "adultery". Is looking at porn adultery? If there is not physical contact is it adultery? You have to remember that Josh's definition of adultery is WAY more strict in nature than what many other people's idea of it is. My definition of it is more on the strict side, others may be well a condom was used so they came real close to touching another woman but didn't cross the line.

It depends what definition one goes by as "adultery". Is looking at porn adultery? If there is not physical contact is it adultery? You have to remember that Josh's definition of adultery is WAY more strict in nature than what many other people's idea of it is. My definition of it is more on the strict side, others may be well a condom was used so they came real close to touching another woman but didn't cross the line.

Josh didn't have to join Ashley Madison (twice) to look at pornography. There are thousands of sites that don't require memberships (I'm told :bye1:). From what I understand, pornography isn't Ashley Madison's main attraction, it's hooking up the adulterous that's their thing.
Besides, I have read on several blogs that watching pornography is a form of adultery as one is lusting the pornography performers and enjoying their deviant perversions. :)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back