Joining the distingished company here ...

Doug1943

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2016
... is someone who is a bit of a political odd-ball. On the far far Left in my foolish youth, now further Right in my foolish old age, and distrustful of any all-explaining all-embracing Ideology.

Likes: science, reason, the Enlightenment, intelligence, progress (economic growth, advances in technology and science).
Dislikes: political correctness, murderous nationalism/tribalism, demagogy, stupidity.

Political method: Popperian. Show me the evidence. If you believe something, maybe I can be convinced to agree with you, but first tell me ... what evidence would make you change your beliefs? If there could be none, then you have a religious belief, not a rational one. I never argue religion, but I'm open to persuasion about other things. I can't possibly be 100% correct in everything I believe.

Current interests: preparing young people for the Mathematics Challenge (leading on the Mathematical Olympiads), Cuba (learning about it), trying to housetrain a puppy.

Funniest_Memes_now-welcome-to-hogwarts_4118.jpeg

Welcome Doug. Speaking as someone with two big adolescent puppies, stay consistent and keep your sense of humor. It'll be fine. Eventually.

Distinguished? I think you may have been misinformed!!!

Anyway Doug, welcome. You'll notice I have a tendency to barge in... my apologies! :oops:

(thanks for your support Will.... I know you like my barging though...) ;)

... is someone who is a bit of a political odd-ball. On the far far Left in my foolish youth, now further Right in my foolish old age, and distrustful of any all-explaining all-embracing Ideology.

Likes: science, reason, the Enlightenment, intelligence, progress (economic growth, advances in technology and science).
Dislikes: political correctness, murderous nationalism/tribalism, demagogy, stupidity.

Political method: Popperian. Show me the evidence. If you believe something, maybe I can be convinced to agree with you, but first tell me ... what evidence would make you change your beliefs? If there could be none, then you have a religious belief, not a rational one. I never argue religion, but I'm open to persuasion about other things. I can't possibly be 100% correct in everything I believe.

Current interests: preparing young people for the Mathematics Challenge (leading on the Mathematical Olympiads), Cuba (learning about it), trying to housetrain a puppy.
il_fullxfull.274320069[1].jpg

Welcome, Doug!

Doug, you're trying to do three things at once. Focus.

Teach a Cuban dog how to count.

Forum List

Back