Johns Hopkins student kills apparent burglar with Sword

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Who needs a gun now a days when you got a Samurai sword? :lol:

Johns Hopkins student kills apparent burglar with sword - CNN.com

(CNN) -- A Johns Hopkins University student killed an apparent burglar with a samurai sword after discovering the man in his garage, police said Tuesday.

Baltimore, Maryland, police received a phone call shortly before 1:30 a.m. Tuesday about a suspicious person, and an off-duty officer arrived at the scene with campus security, city police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

When authorities arrived, they heard calls for help and for police, he said. They discovered a suspected burglar with a severed left hand and severe lacerations to his upper body, Guglielmi said.

The suspect died at the scene, he said.

The man "lunged" at the students, and the student with the sword defended himself, severing the man's left hand and cutting his upper body, Guglielmi said.

Police did not release the name of the suspect, who Guglielmi said had a long criminal history, or that of the student.

Burglars had taken two laptops and a Sony PlayStation from the students' home Monday, Guglielmi said.

The burglary suspect had been released from prison Saturday, Guglielmi said.

Thoughts? Reactions?

Who needs a gun now a days when you got a Samurai sword? :lol:

Johns Hopkins student kills apparent burglar with sword - CNN.com

(CNN) -- A Johns Hopkins University student killed an apparent burglar with a samurai sword after discovering the man in his garage, police said Tuesday.

Baltimore, Maryland, police received a phone call shortly before 1:30 a.m. Tuesday about a suspicious person, and an off-duty officer arrived at the scene with campus security, city police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

When authorities arrived, they heard calls for help and for police, he said. They discovered a suspected burglar with a severed left hand and severe lacerations to his upper body, Guglielmi said.

The suspect died at the scene, he said.

The man "lunged" at the students, and the student with the sword defended himself, severing the man's left hand and cutting his upper body, Guglielmi said.

Police did not release the name of the suspect, who Guglielmi said had a long criminal history, or that of the student.

Burglars had taken two laptops and a Sony PlayStation from the students' home Monday, Guglielmi said.

The burglary suspect had been released from prison Saturday, Guglielmi said.

Thoughts? Reactions?

He'll probably be charged with voluntary manslaughter. Hopefully not though.

If he gets charged for this, it'll be outrageous. I'm happy for the student.

Well it depends if he really did "lung" at the students. Personally? I don't think he did. Especially when there is four of them and one is carrying a samurai sword. He may of been stupid enough to try and rob the place but he isn't that stupid.

I don't know. Just which version of the Sony PlayStation did the 'suspected' burglar steal? If it was a PS3, he deserved to die. No question about it.

lmao...so he severed his hand then took another lash at him.

As if the severed hand isn't gonna be enough to stop him in his tracks.

And did the guy drop the stuff that was in his hand and break it? Then it was all for nothing.

But I like this guy who went for the lash after taking out the guys hand...pretty pro

Self Defense. He was protecting himself. And yes a career criminal just out of jail will do something like that, he was facing four young people, he probably assumed they would scatter and run or cower. If he had gotten the sword no telling what might have happened. As for the damage, what is to say the hand was the last thing hit and that the career criminal did not try to keep coming?

Nice to see you liberals think self defense is not ok.

Self Defense. He was protecting himself. And yes a career criminal just out of jail will do something like that, he was facing four young people, he probably assumed they would scatter and run or cower. If he had gotten the sword no telling what might have happened. As for the damage, what is to say the hand was the last thing hit and that the career criminal did not try to keep coming?

Nice to see you liberals think self defense is not ok.

Really? Did I say that somewhere? If anything, I was saying they had the right to do this. Once again, you're talking out of your ass.

It's interesting that CNN reported 4 students were present. On the local DC, Baltimore stations they stated the one student heard someone in the detached garage, grabbed his sword, went to investigate. When he entered he confronted the burglar, words were exchanged, the perp allegedly lunged at the student who claimed he (the student) "panicked" and defended himself.
The perp had just been released, serving time for auto theft. He apparently had a very long rap sheet.

Well it depends if he really did "lung" at the students. Personally? I don't think he did. Especially when there is four of them and one is carrying a samurai sword. He may of been stupid enough to try and rob the place but he isn't that stupid. - Robert

Yes Robert you did. YOur own words copied and pasted. Do they taste good?

Yes Robert you did. YOur own words copied and pasted. Do they taste good?

Well I don't think he did "lung" if there were four of them, one carrying a sword. However, that doesn't seem to be the story. If it was only one with a sword, then it was self-defense. In either case, the students defended themselves. They had no idea whether the guy had a gun or what.

So guess what Gary, you can go ahead and apologize to me for running your mouth and assuming my views.

Probably he took a mighty whack (like Paul Bunyan) and severed his arm and his upper body, as the hamburglar probably put up his arm in self-defense.

Tis but a scratch! Just a flesh wound!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdSLP-qz_fw]YouTube - Tis but a scratch Monty Python Holy Grail[/ame]

the crook got what he deserved
the student saved the tax payers a lot of time and money

especially when the crook had just got out of prison less than 3 days earlier and hes out breaking the law already

lmao...so he severed his hand then took another lash at him.

Probably he took a mighty whack (like Paul Bunyan) and severed his arm and his upper body, as the hamburglar probably put up his arm in self-defense.

That's what I'm thinking too.

I don't keep a loaded gun in my house because I've got a young son that gets into everything, but I do have a sword. It's a fine tool for home defense if you know anything about using it.

Well it depends if he really did "lung" at the students. Personally? I don't think he did. Especially when there is four of them and one is carrying a samurai sword. He may of been stupid enough to try and rob the place but he isn't that stupid.

Stick to stuff you know like...well, whatever. You can't make a kote cut if the guy is standing around with his hands at his sides.

It appears the swordsman had some training and made and double wrist and upper body strike like kendo people are trained to do. You have to be seriously cold blooded and ruthless to strike with a sword without provocation.

Forum List

Back