Johns Hopkins Psychiatrist: Transgenderism is a "Mental Disorder"

Geaux4it

Intensity Factor 4-Fold
May 31, 2009
Tennessee
Interesting perspective that counters the mainstream mouthpieces

-Geaux

Dr. Paul R. McHugh, the former psychiatrist-in-chief for Johns Hopkins Hospital and its current Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry, said that transgenderism is a “mental disorder” that merits treatment, that sex change is “biologically impossible,” and that people who promote sexual reassignment surgery are collaborating with and promoting a mental disorder.

Dr. McHugh, the author of six books and at least 125 peer-reviewed medical articles, made his remarks in a recent commentary in the Wall Street Journal, where he explained that transgender surgery is not the solution for people who suffer a “disorder of ‘assumption’” – the notion that their maleness or femaleness is different than what nature assigned to them biologically.

...“’Sex change’ is biologically impossible,” said McHugh. “People who undergo sex-reassignment surgery do not change from men to women or vice versa. Rather, they become feminized men or masculinized women. Claiming that this is civil-rights matter and encouraging surgical intervention is in reality to collaborate with and promote a mental disorder.”

Johns Hopkins Psychiatrist Transgender is Mental Disorder Sex Change Biologically Impossible CNS News

It is the same kind of disorder as body integrity identity disorder. The disorder compels people to believe that they should not have limbs and want arms and legs amputated.

There is nothing that will make a man a woman or a woman into a man. Legal pronouncements do not change biology.

While I agree with the Doctor, I disagree with saying it so publicly. Got enough LGBT commiting suicide without handing em a blade. Wanna alter your appearence to better suit what's in your head, fine. Just let us give you some counselling first. Still wanna, we'll drive you to the other office.

When someone makes the decision to take their own life, THEY ALONE are responsible.. NO ONE hands them the blade..

While I agree with the Doctor, I disagree with saying it so publicly.

Yeah, well, you just did, genius.

Delta4Embassy said:
Got enough LGBT commiting suicide without handing em a blade. Wanna alter your appearence to better suit what's in your head, fine. Just let us give you some counselling first. Still wanna, we'll drive you to the other office.

You're the last person in the free world who needs to be giving anyone "counseling", guy — the free world's being the latent operative words there.

But you just might find some folks who could use your "counseling" in a third-world dictatorship.

Just sayin'.

TG should be allowed to mutilate their bodies the same way those with body integrity identity disorder have legs and arms amputated. What they should not be allowed to do is demand that everyone else consider the disorder normal.

Interesting perspective that counters the mainstream mouthpieces

-Geaux

Dr. Paul R. McHugh, the former psychiatrist-in-chief for Johns Hopkins Hospital and its current Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry, said that transgenderism is a “mental disorder” that merits treatment, that sex change is “biologically impossible,” and that people who promote sexual reassignment surgery are collaborating with and promoting a mental disorder.

Dr. McHugh, the author of six books and at least 125 peer-reviewed medical articles, made his remarks in a recent commentary in the Wall Street Journal, where he explained that transgender surgery is not the solution for people who suffer a “disorder of ‘assumption’” – the notion that their maleness or femaleness is different than what nature assigned to them biologically.

...“’Sex change’ is biologically impossible,” said McHugh. “People who undergo sex-reassignment surgery do not change from men to women or vice versa. Rather, they become feminized men or masculinized women. Claiming that this is civil-rights matter and encouraging surgical intervention is in reality to collaborate with and promote a mental disorder.”

Johns Hopkins Psychiatrist Transgender is Mental Disorder Sex Change Biologically Impossible CNS News
It is a mental deficiency that has turned into a liberal cause

While I agree with the Doctor, I disagree with saying it so publicly. Got enough LGBT commiting suicide without handing em a blade. Wanna alter your appearence to better suit what's in your head, fine. Just let us give you some counselling first. Still wanna, we'll drive you to the other office.

From 'CNS ', less than reliable & the doctor addresses CHILDREN who believe they are the wrong gender, certainly giving hormones to children for gender change is to be questioned, unless, as I cited, there are medical reasons. He cites a one study on suicide of those who HAVE undrgone surgery, but omits stats of those who believe they are the other gender, but have not had surgery. A spliced opnion, worth little.

Ignored are the cases wherein infant males were castrated by machines meant to circumsise them. How many transgender humans has he studied, PERSONALLY, in depth?

Last edited:
From 'CNS ', less than reliable & the doctor addresses CHILDREN who believe they are the wrong gender, certainly giving hormones to children for gender change is to be questioned, unless, as I cited, there are medical reasons. He cites a one study on suicide of those who HAVE undrgone surgery, but omits stats of those who believe they are the other gender, but have not had surgery. A spliced opnion, worth little.

Ignored are the cases wherein infant males were castrated by machines meant to circumsise them. How many transgender humans has he studied, PERSONALLY, in depth?

I wouldn't support treating children for these sorts of issues. Same with psychiatric medical treatments but for the most extreme of cases. I'm definately in the talk-it-through camp rather than "Here swallow this." And for kids especially whose bodies are by definition in a profound state of flux, allowing that to be interpreted as an acute-anything is stupid. And so treating them like we would an adult whose body has 'settled' is even worse. I understand teens account for a large number of LGBT suicides, but I'd rather try counselling therapy until that avenue's exhausted before fiddling with neural chemistry.

I don't think calling people names who make a decision in their lives that holds enormous consequences such as to live as a different sex, is ever the right thing to do. Whether they have emotional issues or not isn't the point. The high rate of suicide alone should necessitate a change in attitudes toward these people to one of compassion and caring.

Forum List

Back