Johnnie L. Cochran Jr. Dies at 67

Merlin1047 said:
First, my issue with Cochran is the fact that he is responsible for allowing Simpson to get away with a double murder. Then, after gaining national notoriety, Cochran sold his name to law firms across the country. Those firms could then falsely advertise that Cochran was on staff although he had absolutely nothing to do with any case load of that firm. As far as I'm concerned, Cochran demonstrated that he has no conscience and no ethics. You can look at that any way you want, but that's my take.

I am no great fan of Jonnie Cochran. I believe that his motivation for taking cases was often influenced too much for his concern for his own self-aggrandizement. However, I won't fault him for the Simpson case. He was a lawyer doing whatever he could within the law to advocate for his client. It was his job and he did his job well. I would hope for as much care and skill in advocacy from any lawyer.

Lawyers can generally only handle a few cases at a time. When you sign on with a law firm with a well-known lawyer, the odds are that he or she will not be handling your case. There is nothing wrong with that. As long as when he incorporated law firms, he did his best to make sure that the lawyers he was associating with were lawyers of high quality, than I have no problem with this either. He can't be everywhere at once, but he can lend his name to a firm of good lawyers in an effort to sell the services of the firm. It is done all the time.

Merlin1047 said:
Second, if a white lawyer concentrated exclusively on helping white youth, that lawyer would be called a racist. Why then do you apply this double standard to blacks? If a successful black person is going to help his community, shouldn't he offer assistance to everyone? Why is it acceptable to you that blacks engage in exclusionary and discrimnatory practices but if the same were done by a white, you'd be up in the rafters about it?

Here's a thought to consider - discrimination is no longer the sole domain of white America. One thing I have noted over recent years is flagrant black discrimination in hiring practices. The DHR office where my wife used to work had a mix of black and white social workers employed. The mix was roughly representative of the same ratio as the ethnic mix of the community. Then the director retired and a black woman replaced him. In four years (until she was fired) she did not hire a single person who was not black. This is not an isolated incident. Look around at many civil service positions at military bases. Quite frequently if a black person is in charge of the hiring, there is an extremely obvious black hiring bias.

Racism is racism. It doesn't matter who sponsors it. Cochran's assistance to the black community may have been laudatory on some levels, but if he willfully excluded all other ethnic groups, then he was a racist.

The really unfortunate part of all this is that there is no doubt that there will be a backlash to black racism. That reaction will prove to be a substantial set back race relations in this country and black people will suffer because of the discriminatory policies practiced by the most successful and affluent members of the black community.

As I said, a lawyer must pick and choose the cases that he wishes to work on. If Mr. Cochran chooses to spend his time helping black people, then so be it. I don't think it is necessarily racism. He identified and sympathized with the plight of the poor members of the black community and chose to spend his efforts in helping that community. He probably felt that white people, on average, received better legal representation than black people (mostly for socio-economic reasons) and he wanted to do what he could to help those who would not otherwise be able to obtain high quality legal representation. Notably, many of his clients were not only black, but poor.

"If the coffin fits - you must acquit! :p "

Thanks -=d=- for that line.. hehe

William Joyce said:
Can you imagine,

He was a great lawyer, a great man and a great leader in the white community. He, like so many other successful whites in America, shows that with hard work, discipline and faith, a person (regardless of their race or religion) can succeed and thrive.

No. You can't.

Cochrane was a fighter for blacks, and only blacks. In fighting for this wonderful people, he represented a string of overfed, spoiled, criminal rapist-murderer-thugs with enough cash to flash to get his services. Cochrane didn't give two shits about whites or blacks who couldn't afford him. He lied. He played the race card. He was a huckster and flim-flammer.

He was piece of shit. He represents everything that's fucked up about our country.

Willie is the White equivalent of Black liberals, he is looking for a scapegoat to excuse his shortcomings in life. In his case its minorities.

All these stats on genetics he talks about are bogus, just look up one discredited "scientist" by the name of J. Phillippe Rushton.

Forum List

Back