John Wayne on liberals

It does not help when the left & right are always bad mouthing, but when anyone is accused, each will do their own defending.
It's human nature.
I never said that President Johnson was the one who started the draft.
I said did the draft, so my mistake I should have said used the draft.

They all
"used" the draft.

Yes
As far as I know it was used 5 times.
US Civil War
WW1
WW2
Korea
Vietnam

I don't think Korea and Vietnam can be separated as far as existence of the draft.
When was Elvis Presley drafted?

Elvis Presley was drafted on Dec 20, 1957

Whoa -- that was specific. ;)

Well there you go -- between Korea and Vietnam. At least as far as draftees involved.

You got drafted in 1957, but you didn't have a war to go to. They were a bit slow getting one together. Not like today, where we have a whole minor league farm system ready for Show on a moment's notice.

I'm just glad that the draft was abolished in 1973.
Of course that can always be implemented again in the future.
I understand why it had to be used for the Civil War, as well as WWI and II, but it was wrong to do it for the Korean and Vietnam wars.
But this also needs to be put in the perspective at the time, because of the Cold War and the spreading of Communism at the time.

They all "used" the draft.

Yes
US Civil War
WW1
WW2
Korea
Vietnam

I don't think Korea and Vietnam can be separated as far as existence of the draft.

Well there you go -- between Korea and Vietnam. At least as far as draftees involved.

You got drafted in 1957, but you didn't have a war to go to. They were a bit slow getting one together. Not like today, where we have a whole minor league farm system ready for Show on a moment's notice.

I understand why it had to be used for the Civil War, as well as WWI and II, but it was wrong to do it for the Korean and Vietnam wars.
But this also needs to be put in the perspective at the time, because of the Cold War and the spreading of Communism at the time.

I almost completely agree. I'd change the last line to "the spreading of the perceptions about communism at the time".

Yes
US Civil War
WW1
WW2
Korea
Vietnam

I almost completely agree. I'd change the last line to "the spreading of the perceptions about communism at the time".

I disagree.
It was based on actual countires that went communistic after WWII.
Poland, Czechoslavakia, Yugoslavia, Hungary, Rumania, East Germany, Bulgaria and North Vietnam, North Korea, China, Cuba, and Laos.

I disagree.
It was based on actual countires that went communistic after WWII.
Poland, Czechoslavakia, Yugoslavia, Hungary, Rumania, East Germany, Bulgaria and North Vietnam, North Korea, China, Cuba, and Laos.

--- NONE of which merited a draft or military action on our part.

Btw you left out Albania. John Belushi is not amused. ;)

John Wayne! What has he done for America?
The only thing he did was entertain us with cheap westerns.
Terrible actor who is worse at political commentary.

It strikes me that the same crap liberals pulled in John Wayne's day they are still doing today.

Liberals have not changed. They are just the same old tired movement, so why do they call themselves "Progressive"?

It strikes me that the same crap liberals pulled in John Wayne's day they are still doing today.

Liberals have not changed. They are just the same old tired movement, so why do they call themselves "Progressive"?

Yawn.

Exactly, he was boring as hell. It just goes to show, have a good agent and market something right and some idiot will believe in the person
Tell us are you Justin Beiber fan, you probably are with the taste you have.
Maybe a Madonna fan too.
images

Yawn.

Forum List

Back