John Q

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
This is a movie about a lower middle-class couple whose son is in need of an immediate heart transplant, but they cannot afford it and their insurance won't cover it. As a result, the father (Denzel Washington) takes an emergency room hostage, demanding the hospital perform the surgery immediately. There's a couple really emotional moments that are done really well. It's a lot more of a drama than an action movie, contrary to what the previews made it seem like. Unfortunately, there's some rather hammy acting from Robert Duvall (surprising, too, he's usually great), and there's a lot of hostage stereotypes in here (why do you always have to have the smarmy newscaster who cares more about the story than the people). Denzel's really good, and though they only have small parts, Anne Heche and Ray Liotta do a great job as well. Towards the end, it gets really preachy (lower taxes vs. better health care), which really disappointed me, but it was good enough. I give it 2 stars.

This truly was one of the best! both this and Pay Forward were the 2 that I think I could watch over and over, and tears flow!!!!

Denzil was an outstanding actor in this movie!!!!!!! all stars deserved in John Q.

I liked this movie too. Of course, I could just about like anything
Denzel Washington is in!!!!!

I agree that it was slightly preachy towards the end but I'm not interested in their public policy message...as a movie, pretty good.

Of course, I could just about like anything Denzel Washington is in!!!!!

I'm the same way, but for some reason, everyone I know LOVED Training Day, and I didn't like it all that much. I guess it was odd to see Denzel play a bad guy, but I didn't think it was all that great of a movie. What did you guys think?

As for John Q, I guess I didn't like it as much as you guys, but the scene in the emergency room where he's talking to his son alone was worth the price of the rental, for me.

Forum List

Back