John Murtha claims Western Pa. racist but Obama win

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
"I think Obama is going to win, but I don't think it's going to be a runaway," he said. "I think he wins Pennsylvania."

Mr. Murtha said it has taken time for the state's voters embrace a black presidential candidate.

"There's no question Western Pennsylvania is a racist area," said Mr. Murtha, whose district stretches from Johnstown to Washington County. "The older population is more hesitant."

Murtha expects Obama to win Pa.

I fail to see how this is going to bring people together or reach across the isle to attend to the nations business.

"I think Obama is going to win, but I don't think it's going to be a runaway," he said. "I think he wins Pennsylvania."

Mr. Murtha said it has taken time for the state's voters embrace a black presidential candidate.

"There's no question Western Pennsylvania is a racist area," said Mr. Murtha, whose district stretches from Johnstown to Washington County. "The older population is more hesitant."

I fail to see how this is going to bring people together or reach across the isle to attend to the nations business.

We need a good old fashioned racist hunt. Who wants to be McCarthy ?

We need a good old fashioned racist hunt. Who wants to be McCarthy ?

You know dillo it seems to me that if you admire a candidate for his stance on issues and what he and or she will do for your state, that to label an entire area of a state as racist does no good other than to make those people in that area dislike the candidate you support. It seems to me a rather open mouth insert foot moment.

It is stupid to label an area racist however I'm not sure what that has to do with Obama himself? Murtha isn't speaking on behalf of the Obama campaign so if people use this an excuse to not vote for Obama, clearly they were already looking for a reason and this is just a convenient one.

One wonders if Mr. Murtha will keep his seat next term. I don't see how he can get away with insulting the voters for long. But he's gotten away with insulting our troops, so I can understand why he'd feel he can speak ill of his constituancy with impunity.

You know dillo it seems to me that if you admire a candidate for his stance on issues and what he and or she will do for your state, that to label an entire area of a state as racist does no good other than to make those people in that area dislike the candidate you support. It seems to me a rather open mouth insert foot moment.

I don't know what Murtha was thinking but this has been brewing since Obama's choice as the Dem contender. You are a racist if you don't vote for Obama. How he expects to get any bi-partisan cooperation on anything is beyond me---Maybe he won't need it and the dems can just run amok for a couple of years and fix Washington ?

It is stupid to label an area racist however I'm not sure what that has to do with Obama himself? Murtha isn't speaking on behalf of the Obama campaign so if people use this an excuse to not vote for Obama, clearly they were already looking for a reason and this is just a convenient one.

It may not have a thing to do with Obama directly Silence but when he is mentioning it in the same speech in which he is telling PA. voters how great Obama is, then it would appear to the people in western PA. that Mr. Murtha does not want their vote. I am sure the Obama campaign did a little cringe on that speech and sent a polite thank you note. Seriously though, I don't understand what the heck Mr. Murtha hopes to accomplish with this comment because you know and I know that the good people of Western Pa. will most likely see this as more reason not to vote for Obama.

One wonders if Mr. Murtha will keep his seat next term. I don't see how he can get away with insulting the voters for long. But he's gotten away with insulting our troops, so I can understand why he'd feel he can speak ill of his constituancy with impunity.

I'm not really sure of what the chances are on him keeping his seat in congress but would love to hear from someone from that area as to his chances.

I don't know what Murtha was thinking but this has been brewing since Obama's choice as the Dem contender. You are a racist if you don't vote for Obama. How he expects to get any bi-partisan cooperation on anything is beyond me---Maybe he won't need it and the dems can just run amok for a couple of years and fix Washington ?

He's just kissing ass and currying favor in case Obamalama makes it to the white house.

Interesting, they never had trouble embracing Jerome Bettis, but I guess a Superbowl is more important than a presidential race.

It'll be nice, if Obama is elected, that the next black candidate won't have to go through this "are we too racist to elect him" nonsense.

It'll be nice, if Obama is elected, that the next black candidate won't have to go through this "are we too racist to elect him" nonsense.

that whole premise is just race baiting bullshit. Look at Condoleeza Rice, look at Colin Powell, how many congressmen? Mayors? Oh and btw, those that made racist remarks about Rice and Powell were the same race baiting bullshit thugs that are doing it now. Not fooling anybody.

Good job at confusing cause and effect.

that whole premise is just race baiting bullshit. Look at Condoleeza Rice, look at Colin Powell, how many congressmen? Mayors? Oh and btw, those that made racist remarks about Rice and Powell were the same race baiting bullshit thugs that are doing it now. Not fooling anybody.

Rice was appointed. Powell was appointed. The number of black congressmen are FAR less than 12%, the approximate amount of the population that is black.

Rice was appointed. Powell was appointed. The number of black congressmen are FAR less than 12%, the approximate amount of the population that is black.

Put Powell on the Presidential ticket. Want to make a bet how many on the left call him racist names?

I'm not really sure of what the chances are on him keeping his seat in congress but would love to hear from someone from that area as to his chances.

If they're smart they'll get rid of him. But that goes without saying.

I'm wondering if this is the democrat party's attempt to do damage control in case Obama does lose. You know, they have to set up doubt now so that the lawsuits they file after the election will have a basis -- no matter how flimsy.

Forum List

Back