John McLaughlin dies at 89

Dekster

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2014
Longtime TV host John McLaughlin dies at 89

John McLaughlin, host of the television show “The McLaughlin Group” for 34 straight years, died Tuesday morning at the age of 89, according to a post on the show’s Facebook page.

“As a former jesuit priest, teacher, pundit and news host, John touched many lives,” the post reads. “For 34 years, The McLaughlin Group informed millions of Americans. Now he has said bye bye for the last time, to rejoin his beloved dog, Oliver, in heaven. He will always be remembered.”

On Monday, McLaughlin was absent from the show, breaking his hosting streak of 34 years, seven months and one week.

"I am under the weather,” McLaughlin said in a note at the beginning of this week’s episode. He added that his voice was “weaker than usual,” but "my spirit is strong and my dedication to the show remains absolute!”

Interesting he was a former priest. Never knew that. RIP Ba-bye..

He didn't look too good on his show last week...

... guess they'll have to find someone else to moderate it...

... or end the show.

He didn't look too good on his show last week...

... guess they'll have to find someone else to moderate it...

... or end the show.

Probably Pat Buchanan so they can have a token conservative voice on PBS.

Whew. For a second I thought he meant the guitar player, but the age wouldn't fit.

No big loss. This guy was the antithesis of the term "in depth".

Told the wife a couple of weeks ago he going soon...

Dana Carvey impersonated him for SNL...

WRONG!!

The McLaughlin Group

Sorry to see him go, you can't beat a show that lasts 34 years. I imagine they'll keep it going for a few months or a year but it will end.

Oh I think you can. He did no service to discourse. He abused it.
How long has fake wrestling been around?

John McLaughlin, host of confrontational TV show, dead at 89

I've never heard of him. But apparently because he was "conservative," he was "controversial." Just some awesome word association tricks the media loves to play.

No he was more controversial because he was just a bitter old guy who liked to dismiss everything someone else said.

Damn, those bitter old white villains, after all......

I was surprised to read he was a former priest. Compassion or forgiveness were not qualities I associated with him...ever.... I liked the show well enough but he really did not foster conversations as well as he could have.

John McLaughlin, host of confrontational TV show, dead at 89

I've never heard of him. But apparently because he was "conservative," he was "controversial." Just some awesome word association tricks the media loves to play.

No he was more controversial because he was just a bitter old guy who liked to dismiss everything someone else said.

Damn, those bitter old white villains, after all......

I was surprised to read he was a former priest. Compassion or forgiveness were not qualities I associated with him...ever.... I liked the show well enough but he really did not foster conversations as well as he could have.

You make a lot of accusations with no supporting details.

Forum List

Back