John McEnroe: if Serena Williams played men's tennis, she would be ranked dead last

It's interesting that the women serve nearly as fast as the men. I'd like to see Serena Williams play the men's circuit. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she ranked a lot higher than 700, although I don't think she'd come close to the top 20.
She can't beat any professional man tennis player. Not one. Maybe not even a college tennis player

Serena and billy jean king both admitted as much....long before this incident.

Chris Evert who was a top womans player wrote in her book that she could not beat her brother who was an average college tennis player

Men versus Women Tennis

Karsten Braasch v the Williams Sisters
During the 1998 Australian Open, sisters Serena and Venus Williams boasted that they could beat any man ranked outside the world's top 200. The challenge was accepted by Karsten Braasch, a German player ranked No 203 (his highest ranking was No 38). Before the matches, Braasch played a round of golf in the morning, drank a couple of beers, smoked a few cigarettes, and then played the Williams sisters for a set each, one after the other. He defeated Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2. Serena said afterwards "I didn't know it would be that hard. I hit shots that would have been winners on the women's tour and he got to them easily."
Reminds me of an incident from the 80s. While in college just started dating a gorgeous woman, later to become my wife. We were sitting around drinking beer with her three roommates. She challenged me to arm wrestle. I laughed but she was serious. Now I was very skinny then, but in shape. Not only did I whip her, but all her roommates too...in quick succession.

I suspect women sometimes don't realize how much stronger men are.

Forum List

Back