John Kerry To Get Secretary Of State Nomination, Reports ABC

oh goody, big friggen deal

if it gets rid of him from the Congress, GREAT..

nothing but Career taxpayer sucking for life politicians

Kerry seems a bit stiff to be flexible with the Russians considering Obama's win.

At least he will be out of Congress.

Kerry sure does know about the Iraq war, after all he voted for it before he voted against it. He is a political opportunist and not very bright. But that where this country is heading so I guess he is the perfect choice.

That's a relief. Just keep him away from the Pentagon. We can't have a Secretary of Defense calling his own troops stupid for joining the Military. Plus, who knows how many more Purple Hearts he might write for himself for his less than year Vietnam service.

Granny says dat's who Obama wanted inna first place...

Sizing up Kerry as secretary of state
December 15th, 2012 - Sen. John Kerry, who sources say has been tapped by President Barack Obama to replace Hillary Clinton as secretary of state, will come to the post with a full plate of foreign policy crises, from the civil war in Syria, to the nuclear antics of North Korea, to a looming showdown with Iran over its nuclear program.
Anybody who follows Clinton would have some pretty big shoes to fill. Clinton was not just the most popular member of the president’s Cabinet for the past four years, she had celebrity status and respect almost everywhere she went around the world. But as a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for almost 30 years, the past four as chairman, Kerry himself is a highly respected figure on the world stage. While Obama is not close to a lot of world leaders, Kerry has deep relationships with many heads of state that he can draw on as the nation’s top diplomat. Sources close to Kerry note that the increasing partisanship on Capitol Hill has disillusioned Kerry and he is ready to leave the Senate.

He is no stranger to diplomacy and has often traveled overseas on behalf of the Obama administration as a diplomatic troubleshooter and to mend frayed relationships. Kerry persuaded Afghan President Hamid Karzai to agree to an election runoff in 2009 and has traveled Pakistan after a series of incidents, including the raid that killed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. “There are very few people with greater experience over a longer period of time,” notes Nicholas Burns, a former career ambassador who has served every secretary of state since Warren Christopher, and was most recently undersecretary for political affairs under Condoleezza Rice.“He would be a very, very impressive choice." “You really need someone who is a renaissance person with a tremendous range of skill, both political and substantive, with a deep reservoir of knowledge” Burns said in an interview. “You need someone who can drill several layers deep on foreign policy issues.”

121214125305-john-kerry-capitol-story-top.jpg

Uncle Ferd says he got dat "Ask me how great I am, an' I'll tell ya" look about him.

Like Obama, Kerry sees the benefit of reaching out to adversaries, like Iran and Syria, and give them a chance to negotiate. At one point, Kerry even spearheaded outreach efforts to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad before the administration turned on Assad over his crackdown on protesters. But he also has called for arming the opposition and for NATO airstrikes, which Obama's administration has resisted.

The Middle East is sure to take up a good part of the secretary’s time. In addition to helping bring about a political transition in Syria, the United States also must manage the political chaos in Egypt and the rest of North Africa while trying to negotiate a nuclear deal with Iran and revive the Middle East peace process. Kerry is one of the well-traveled senators to the Middle East, has a good feel for the region and knows many of the players. Kerry insiders say a Secretary of State Kerry would want to play a big role shaping policy for in the Mideast and try to help solve some of intractable issues, including delving heavily into the peace process.

More Sizing up Kerry as secretary of state – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs

I guess now Johnny will have to start paying those taxes on his yacht. Can't have a Sec. of State who's a tax evader.

(a redux)

Famous John Kerry Votes

War crimes in Vietnam are the rule, not the exception.

We were sent to Vietnam to kill Communism. But we found instead that we were killing women and children.

What we need now is not just a regime change in Saddam Hussein and Iraq, but we need a regime change in the United States.

I think we can reduce the size of Washington. Get rid of the Energy Department. Get rid of the Agriculture Department, or at least render it three-quarters the size it is today; there are more agriculture bureaucrats than there are farmers in this country.

I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force-- if necessary-- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security.

I would rather be the candidate of the NAACP than the NRA.

I'm an internationalist. I'd like to see our troops dispersed through the world only at the directive of the United Nations.......

There are all kinds of atrocities, and I would have to say that, yes, yes, I committed the same kind of atrocities as thousands of other soldiers have committed in that I took part in shootings in free fire zones. I conducted harassment and interdiction fire. I used 50 calibre machine guns, which we were granted and ordered to use, which were our only weapon against people. I took part in search and destroy missions, in the burning of villages. All of this is contrary to the laws of warfare, all of this is contrary to the Geneva Conventions and all of this is ordered as a matter of written established policy by the government of the United States from the top down.
John Kerry
On Vietnam, April 18, 1971[/COLOR]

John Kerry Quotes, Famous John Kerry Quotes Quotations Kerry Sayings

Forum List

Back