John Kerry skips town on sails tax

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Sen. John Kerry, who has repeatedly voted to raise taxes while in Congress, dodged a whopping six-figure state tax bill on his new multimillion-dollar yacht by mooring her in Newport, R.I.

Isabel - Kerry’s luxe, 76-foot New Zealand-built Friendship sloop with an Edwardian-style, glossy varnished teak interior, two VIP main cabins and a pilothouse fitted with a wet bar and cold wine storage - was designed by Rhode Island boat designer Ted Fontaine.

But instead of berthing the vessel in Nantucket, where the senator summers with the missus, Teresa Heinz, Isabel’s hailing port is listed as “Newport” on her stern.

Could the reason be that the Ocean State repealed its Boat Sales and Use Tax back in 1993, making the tiny state to the south a haven - like the Cayman Islands, Bermuda and Nassau - for tax-skirting luxury yacht owners?

Cash-strapped Massachusetts still collects a 6.25 percent sales tax and an annual excise tax on yachts. Sources say Isabel sold for something in the neighborhood of $7 million, meaning Kerry saved approximately $437,500 in sales tax and an annual excise tax of about $70,000.

Boston Herald

Yet another tax hiking hypocrite ducking and dodging the taxes he advocates everyone else pay. This douche bag is out there demonizing rich people for not paying their "fair share" while he is the wealthiest member of the U.S. Senate and dodging paying his "fair share."

Yet another tax cheat added to the long line of tax cheating hypocrites like Charlie Rangle, Tom Daschle, Tim Geithner, and the list goes on.

Sen. John Kerry, who has repeatedly voted to raise taxes while in Congress, dodged a whopping six-figure state tax bill on his new multimillion-dollar yacht by mooring her in Newport, R.I.

Isabel - Kerry’s luxe, 76-foot New Zealand-built Friendship sloop with an Edwardian-style, glossy varnished teak interior, two VIP main cabins and a pilothouse fitted with a wet bar and cold wine storage - was designed by Rhode Island boat designer Ted Fontaine.

But instead of berthing the vessel in Nantucket, where the senator summers with the missus, Teresa Heinz, Isabel’s hailing port is listed as “Newport” on her stern.

Could the reason be that the Ocean State repealed its Boat Sales and Use Tax back in 1993, making the tiny state to the south a haven - like the Cayman Islands, Bermuda and Nassau - for tax-skirting luxury yacht owners?

Cash-strapped Massachusetts still collects a 6.25 percent sales tax and an annual excise tax on yachts. Sources say Isabel sold for something in the neighborhood of $7 million, meaning Kerry saved approximately $437,500 in sales tax and an annual excise tax of about $70,000.

Boston Herald

Yet another tax hiking hypocrite ducking and dodging the taxes he advocates everyone else pay. This douche bag is out there demonizing rich people for not paying their "fair share" while he is the wealthiest member of the U.S. Senate and dodging paying his "fair share."

Yet another tax cheat added to the long line of tax cheating hypocrites like Charlie Rangle, Tom Daschle, Tim Geithner, and the list goes on.

He is a hypocrite

Tax avoidance should be applauded whenever and wherever it takes place.

Normally I would agree with ya 100% but when Sen Kerry and his party are advocating raising taxes seem to me he should be front and center. The first one standing in line to PAY BABY PAY. LOL

I would also think he would want to help cash strapped MA out. After all. The idiots keep electing him into his cushy job. Jeeze. Show a little gratituded there John boy. LOL

After all what 468,000 or so to Kerry and the Heinze heiress??

A mere drop in the bucket.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back