John Kerry excommunicated from Catholic Church

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
http://cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=32830

Los Angeles, Oct. 18 (CWNews.com) - A consultant to the Vatican has said Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry has incurred the penalty of excommunication from the Catholic Church.

Interesting development. i think the Catholics need to start cleaning house big time.

Doesnt exactly help Kerry though.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
What happens now? Are Kerry and Edwards going to demand Bush denounce the Pope and the entire Catholic Church as they demanded him to do with the SwiftVets?

this should not surprise anyone - nobody who dissagrees with, or speaks against the fundamentals of Catholic faith can 'be' catholic.

Not necessarily relevant to this thread but I do have some good news for you guys. We have just heard over here that British troops will be moving north into the Sunni Triange to allow American forces to concentrate on destroying the terrorists in Fallujah.

Shocked, Surprised & pleased. If he's going to waffle on all the "constitutional" issues its good that someones holding him accountable. P.S. I'm a Born again Christian, that was raised Catholic

beemerup said:
Shocked, Surprised & pleased. If he's going to waffle on all the "constitutional" issues its good that someones holding him accountable. P.S. I'm a Born again Christian, that was raised Catholic

Interesting development in the Catholic Church, but I feel enough people have died so we don't have to listen to the Pope in our politics. Seems the Church may be trying to influence politics...strikes a nerve with me.

Im happy to see the church finally take a stand on something political, seems they have been taking the hands off approach too much for fear of coming on too strong. the church has a right to ex communicate anyone deemed openly defying the teachings. Kerry shoudn't mind, he's only Catholic depending on which group of people he's in front of anyway.

Bonnie said:
Im happy to see the church finally take a stand on something political, seems they have been taking the hands off approach too much for fear of coming on too strong. the church has a right to ex communicate anyone deemed openly defying the teachings. Kerry shoudn't mind, he's only Catholic depending on which group of people he's in front of anyway.

I'm not...getting rid of the Pope and organized religion in politics is a very old and important struggle.

I want my leaders to guide this ship of ours with a compass and not with the guts of a lamb. The Pope's business is the big invisible man in the sky.

And yes the Church can kick out whoever they want, doesn't bother me. They just better stay far, far away from our politics.

MJDuncan1982 said:
I'm not...getting rid of the Pope and organized religion in politics is a very old and important struggle.

I want my leaders to guide this ship of ours with a compass and not with the guts of a lamb. The Pope's business is the big invisible man in the sky.

And yes the Church can kick out whoever they want, doesn't bother me. They just better stay far, far away from our politics.

How is this incident getting inolved inpolitics?
Secondly the Pope's business is to keep those that choose to be Catholic on the right path, and keeping the church true to the gospels. If that means that priests tell their congregations to vote for the condidate who best represents the church's teachings then so be it. They not only a right, but an obligation to do so.

Bonnie said:
Secondly the Pope's business is to keep those that choose to be Catholic on the right path, and keeping the church true to the gospels. If that means that priests tell their congregations to vote for the condidate who best represents the church's teachings then so be it. They not only a right, but an obligation to do so.

Not only that but the Founders counted on it. Each religion is simply looked upon as a special interest group like any other in politics. Because there is no dominant religion and can be no state church the competing fractions will continually keep each other in check. And if any Church did manage to garner a majority support to pass some moral legislation they are seen as any other special interest group garnering a majority support to pass a legislation. Religions should and do influence their congregations, but thats the beauty of America, it doesnt matter because not everyone agrees and nothing can be forced upon them.

Not only that but the Founders counted on it. Each religion is simply looked upon as a special interest group like any other in politics. Because there is no dominant religion and can be no state church the competing fractions will continually keep each other in check. And if any Church did manage to garner a majority support to pass some moral legislation they are seen as any other special interest group garnering a majority support to pass a legislation. Religions should and do influence their congregations, but thats the beauty of America, it doesnt matter because not everyone agrees and nothing can be forced upon them.

I disagree to a great extent. If the majority wanted to elect the Pope as king of America the Founders would throw a hissy fit.

Bonnie said:

I disagree with you as well. Let priests handle the religion, let the politics of man be free from them.

I greatly distrust any religious leader who directs his congregation on how to vote.

MJDuncan1982 said:
I disagree with you as well. Let priests handle the religion, let the politics of man be free from them.

I greatly distrust any religious leader who directs his congregation on how to vote.

Your not understanding that priests are obliged to tell their parishoners how to live by gods laws Living by gods laws also means to the individual voting for leaders who in some way represent their religious beliefs.....it's impossible to seperate the two. You are able to because you ar enot religious, so great for you! I have never heard my priest say to vote for any particular candidate, but he has said that it is our responsibiity to vote for candidates who represent the churches beliefs. As long as your not hearing it why do you even care???
Are you now trying to dictate what priests tell their parishoners???

Bonnie said:
Your not understanding that priests are obliged to tell their parishoners how to live by gods laws Living by gods laws also means to the individual voting for leaders who in some way represent their religious beliefs.....it's impossible to seperate the two. You are able to because you ar enot religious, so great for you! I have never heard my priest say to vote for any particular candidate, but he has said that it is our responsibiity to vote for candidates who represent the churches beliefs. As long as your not hearing it why do you even care???
Are you now trying to dictate what priests tell their parishoners???

Not at all...I'm just very skeptical of religion. Too many people have died trying to get it out of politics.

MJDuncan1982 said:

I greatly distrust anyone who claims he believes life begins at conception and then supports on demand abortion for political expedience. This is a man who has no moral depth. Essentially, Kerry is saying, yeah, it's human life as far as I'm concerned but it doesn't get me votes from my party so it's OK to kill innocents.

Funny how the left would NEVER let a judicial nominee get away with this type of approach but give Kerry a free pass.

(FYI: I'm an non-rabid atheist so my bone to pick with Kerry is not based on any religious zealotry, just my ability to spot a con man.)

http://cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=32830

Interesting development. i think the Catholics need to start cleaning house big time.

Doesnt exactly help Kerry though.

I think the catholic church is a little hypocritical here. Kerry may have differing opinions from his actions but their are MANY wrongs that the church currently has to deal with rather than excommunicating a US Presidential candidate.

Flying Duck said:
I greatly distrust anyone who claims he believes life begins at conception and then supports on demand abortion for political expedience. This is a man who has no moral depth. Essentially, Kerry is saying, yeah, it's human life as far as I'm concerned but it doesn't get me votes from my party so it's OK to kill innocents.

Funny how the left would NEVER let a judicial nominee get away with this type of approach but give Kerry a free pass.

(FYI: I'm an non-rabid atheist so my bone to pick with Kerry is not based on any religious zealotry, just my ability to spot a con man.)

I thought we were discussing religion? Religious leaders above all have the ability to cause us great harm. Allah is now being used against us as we speak.

And Judicial nominees require a whole lot more scrutiny in my book. Presidents - 4 to 8, Judges - Life.

insein said:
I think the catholic church is a little hypocritical here. Kerry may have differing opinions from his actions but their are MANY wrongs that the church currently has to deal with rather than excommunicating a US Presidential candidate.

And they will be dealt with as well!

Get a grip. Kerry is/was a Catholic in name only, so he might get excommunicated, just like anyone else would. The Dark Shroud of Theocracy is not decending. Time to take off the tinfoil hat now.

Forum List

Back