John Kerry and his awards.

Kerry knew it was 3 Hearts and out. One was a self inflicted wound to the ass when he threw a grenade into a rice cache and another was a bandaid splinter to the finger when a mine went off. Kerry was the commander and he recommended himself for awards with witnesses gleaned from the crew. The Brass probably knew it but wouldn't shake up the system. It's nothing new, future democrat politician LBJ wangled a Silver Star for riding in a plane over enemy territory in the Pacific.

Last edited:
I wrote awards citation when I was in Nam. NO ONE wrote their own award citation, especially not a lieutenant.

A lot of Purple Hearts were stupid. Petty injuries, some accidental or nearly self - inflicted (extreme carelessness).

Kerry ' s story was unusual, but not unbelievable.

Lots of reason to vote for anyone but Kerry, but these accusations are lame.

I wrote awards citation when I was in Nam. NO ONE wrote their own award citation, especially not a lieutenant.

A lot of Purple Hearts were stupid. Petty injuries, some accidental or nearly self - inflicted (extreme carelessness).

Far from lame. As a Lt. J.G., Kerry was commander of a Swift Boat and his word was the basis of the Navy's awards to himself and his crew. Most Swift Boat commanders were honorable enough and had more combat time but it seems that Kerry was the only commander to receive three Purple Hearts in a tour less than a year and the only commander to self recommend himself for a Silver star for killing a single unarmed V.C. kid who fired a rocket at the boat and missed.

For the slow and stupid, the boat commander or the squadron commander write awards, Kerry was both on the silver star mission. NO one from the boats saw him kill anyone, no one. His commanding officer received the report of what happened FROM Kerry. Then ignoring the fact that NO ONE cooberated it he used Kerry's report to write an award. In other words Kerry wrote the award. As for no one writing their own stuff? I wrote my fitness reports for 4 years because the Army Civilian I worked for told me too. The Army NCOIC of the school I was at wrote his own awards all the time and the civilian head of Department just signed them

The Swift Boat commanders were honorable men and the Navy brass (or civilian workers) had no reason to doubt their recommendations for commendations but they never met a character like Lt. J.G. John Kerry.

A couple of months ago I was at the local coffee shop and was wearing my Vietnam veterans hat. A man who was also standing in the line struck up a conversation with me and said that he was on a Swift boat in Vietnam during the war.

I joking said, "Did you know John Kerry"?

Upon hearing the name Kerry, the man's face soured up like he had just bitten into a piece of rotten fruit. He said that Kerry was in his Swift boat unit and that everyone hated the guy. That Kerry was a total self absorbed POS and only cared about himself and they were all glad to get rid of the guy. ... :cool:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back