CDZ John kasich the Next President of the United States thread

Have faith that kasich can still win. It's a long shot but I do believe miracles can happen. It has to.

??? Under what scenario(s) do you consider he can win?

The only one that comes to mind for me is stupidly violent: Trump chooses him as a running mate, gets elected, sworn in and immediately assassinated. That doesn't even strike me as "winning." Moreover, and thankfully, I don't see that happening at all, but I must at least recognize that, detestable as such a scenario is, it nonetheless exists as one of all possible sequences of events that could transpire in the future. It's certainly not one I'd hope plays to fruition.
Man you are dark.

How about Trump gets sick and drops out of the race? Then the party temporarily loses its mind and selects him.

Should Trump drop out after the nomination then the establishment picks a candidate and, afaik, there are almost no bars on who they are allowed to select.

Red:
Hmmm...Let's just say that when it comes to setting and achieving goals, I have a lot of experience minimizing the risk of failure and maximizing the likelihood of success.

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Without faith there is no success, but only failure in the end.

I have plenty of faith. My faith is sufficiently strong that even knowing that there is no rational basis for my faith, I still have it. I cannot fathom and will not countenance, respectively, that my faith can get stronger or that it may be attenuated.

Have faith that kasich can still win. It's a long shot but I do believe miracles can happen. It has to.

The only one that comes to mind for me is stupidly violent: Trump chooses him as a running mate, gets elected, sworn in and immediately assassinated. That doesn't even strike me as "winning." Moreover, and thankfully, I don't see that happening at all, but I must at least recognize that, detestable as such a scenario is, it nonetheless exists as one of all possible sequences of events that could transpire in the future. It's certainly not one I'd hope plays to fruition.
There’s a change in convention rules, a revolt against Trump, with Kasich as the only viable candidate left.

No problem.
A state or states may abstain from a first ballot vote. That would make a second vote occur with delegates not longer obligated to a specific nominee.

Red:
Ah, nice. A chess/go player raises his head. Well done and TY.

I take it you mean a reimplementation of Roosevelt's 1912 "stunt" or something akin to it, perhaps in concert with some 11th hour shenanigans ?
Interesting strategic approach. Though a long shot, mass-abstentions would get the job done, I suppose. The idea surely has to devout Republicans more appeal than does the "desertion strategy" I roughly outlined here. (Where were you when that thread needed participants who understood strategy as distinct from, well, everything that isn't strategy? LOL)

Assume a committed set of anti-Trump movers and shakers undertook the strategy you proposed. So, let's look step-by-step at the tactics needed to make your strategy achieve it's goal(s).

Top level goals:
  1. Unbind Trump's delegates from Trump, while also not yielding 1,237 "yea" votes for Trump on the first voting round --> this is what the abstentions are intended to do. (I'm not familiar enough with GOP convention rules to know whether abstentions, and what nature of them, can make this happen on the first round of voting.)
  2. Propose a Trump alternative --> under current GOP rules, I think the only possible alternatives are Mssrs. Cruz and Kasich.
  3. Garner sufficient support for the alternative candidate -- this is what it is, but how this plays out seems it'd be anybody's guess, again, given the current rules governing the GOP convention.

You've suggested that generating abstentions are a viable tactic for achieving the first goal. Which of the following top level tactics will result in unbinding the delegates for the second and later voting rounds, while also not yielding 1237 "yea" votes for Trump on the first round?
  • Convince at least one state delegation to abstain from the first round?
  • Convince enough individual delegates to abstain from the first round?

You are copy and pasting a persons or a certain institutions manifest as a basis for all, over the power of an individual, when in the end everybody decides for themselves as an individual.

You forget a very basic premise that everybody has to sleep at night.

????

Man you are dark.

How about Trump gets sick and drops out of the race? Then the party temporarily loses its mind and selects him.

Should Trump drop out after the nomination then the establishment picks a candidate and, afaik, there are almost no bars on who they are allowed to select.

Red:
Hmmm...Let's just say that when it comes to setting and achieving goals, I have a lot of experience minimizing the risk of failure and maximizing the likelihood of success.

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Without faith there is no success, but only failure in the end.

I have plenty of faith. My faith is sufficiently strong that even knowing that there is no rational basis for my faith, I still have it. I cannot fathom and will not countenance, respectively, that my faith can get stronger or that it may be attenuated.

If you feel your faith can't get any stronger than you have only faith in yourself and that is not faith but rather pride.

Kasich could be nominated at the convention.

Interesting how an uninteresting candidate can become interesting by comparison with much less interesting candidates.

Interesting how an uninteresting candidate can become interesting by comparison with much less interesting candidates.
Kasich had staying power because people like him as a person. He is smart and he has a down home manner of speaking. Those things make him an attractive candidate. Trump seems to be getting much worse in his disdain for people in general but the thing with the press yesterday was almost funny it was so bad.

Some Rs like it, the Teaparty in particular but some really don't.

Kasich had staying power because people like him as a person. He is smart and he has a down home manner of speaking. Those things make him an attractive candidate. Trump seems to be getting much worse in his disdain for people in general but the thing with the press yesterday was almost funny it was so bad.

A vocal portion 'likes' it; that is a small minority of America.

Except that he did not have any 'staying power.' He won a single state - he is a terrible candidate.

Except that he did not have any 'staying power.' He won a single state - he is a terrible candidate.
Better than Trump, seriously. Trump did win over the Rs just enough to win the primaries, he's dead in the water now that he's in the real world.

Better than Trump, seriously. Trump did win over the Rs just enough to win the primaries, he's dead in the water now that he's in the real world.
Better than Trump yet, again, he was only able to carry a single state.

He may make a better PRESIDENT but that is materially irrelevant in the race. He did not and does not make a better CANDIDATE and has zero chance of winning anything.

Forum List

Back