John Kasich and LeBron James

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
Tonight LeBron James is supposed to announce which team he will sign to, and word is that he may choose not to re-sign with the Cleveland Cavaliers and choose the Miami Heat instead. A big reason for this rumor is that Florida has no state income tax, and that is an important factor when you will be forced to pay $5.69 million in taxes if he remains with the Cavs.

LeBronomics: Could High Taxes Influence James' Team Decision?

How this relates to Ohio Republican Gubernatorial candidate John Kasich is because Kasich has said that if elected he will attempt to get rid of the state income tax. If LeBron leaves the Cavs for the Heat then I think that could become quite a talking point for Kasich on the campaign trail, especially here in Northeast Ohio where LeBron is extremely popular to us Cavs fans. And Ted Strickland, the sitting Governor of Ohio, has been attacking Kasich on his plan to get rid of the state income tax. This could honestly become a huge campaign issue if LeBron goes to Miami. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Tonight LeBron James is supposed to announce which team he will sign to, and word is that he may choose not to re-sign with the Cleveland Cavaliers and choose the Miami Heat instead. A big reason for this rumor is that Florida has no state income tax, and that is an important factor when you will be forced to pay $5.69 million in taxes if he remains with the Cavs.

LeBronomics: Could High Taxes Influence James' Team Decision?

How this relates to Ohio Republican Gubernatorial candidate John Kasich is because Kasich has said that if elected he will attempt to get rid of the state income tax. If LeBron leaves the Cavs for the Heat then I think that could become quite a talking point for Kasich on the campaign trail, especially here in Northeast Ohio where LeBron is extremely popular to us Cavs fans. And Ted Strickland, the sitting Governor of Ohio, has been attacking Kasich on his plan to get rid of the state income tax. This could honestly become a huge campaign issue if LeBron goes to Miami. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Massachusetts had a voter referendum in 2008 to eliminate the income tax and 70% of voters voted to keep it. That's one example as to why I moved away. People in that state are stuck on stupid.

Yeah, if he goes to Miami clearly the decision is about the income tax situation, not Wade and Bosh.

It's foolish to think the money isn't a factor, but I'm sure it's not the only one. Who the fuck wants to live in Cleveland after all?

Well now that LeBron is going to Miami, land of no state income tax, it will be interesting to see if Kasich tries to turn this into a positive for his stance on eliminating Ohio's income tax.

I've never understood all the hoohah over states with "no state income tax". I've worked in financial institution data processing for 30+ years. One companyy I worked for did savings and loan processing and we had "no state income tax" Texas institutions as customers. It is true, there is no income tax. However, for things like mortgage loans, the escrow side of the loan had a laundry list of agencies and departments that got a piece of the action on your loan. One that I remember was the state railroad commission. My point is this. A lot of "no state income tax" is merely smoke and mirrors. The state has to have income to function and they are going to get it out of you one way or another. Here in Oklahoma where we do have state income tax, the escrow on our mortgages is fairly simple and doesn't contain the laundry list Texas does. Texas still collects from you, just not thru an income tax........but it is still money out of your pocket.

The money James left on the table is more than he will save because of the lack of state income tax.

I've never understood all the hoohah over states with "no state income tax". I've worked in financial institution data processing for 30+ years. One companyy I worked for did savings and loan processing and we had "no state income tax" Texas institutions as customers. It is true, there is no income tax. However, for things like mortgage loans, the escrow side of the loan had a laundry list of agencies and departments that got a piece of the action on your loan. One that I remember was the state railroad commission. My point is this. A lot of "no state income tax" is merely smoke and mirrors. The state has to have income to function and they are going to get it out of you one way or another. Here in Oklahoma where we do have state income tax, the escrow on our mortgages is fairly simple and doesn't contain the laundry list Texas does. Texas still collects from you, just not thru an income tax........but it is still money out of your pocket.

The problem with an income tax is that it assumes that the state has the right to a percentage of your labor, which means that you're essentially working for the state. This is a form of slavery. Though all taxation is inherently theft, the income tax is one of the worst ways for the state to raise revenue.

The money James left on the table is more than he will save because of the lack of state income tax.

Indeed. If this was about money, he would of probably signed with the Knicks or Nets.

Yeah, the Knicks said they could make him a billionaire. And they probably could have.

No doubt. This was all about rings for Lebron. Can't blame him for going to Miami, I probably would of as well.

Yeah, the Knicks said they could make him a billionaire. And they probably could have.

No doubt. This was all about rings for Lebron. Can't blame him for going to Miami, I probably would of as well.

It's more the way he did it. Along with Reggie Miller, I thought he would announce last night he was going back to Cleveland, in spite of the reports. Like Reggie Miller said, no one would arrange such an event if they weren't returning home. In other words, no one would do something so despicable.

It's more the way he did it. Along with Reggie Miller, I thought he would announce last night he was going back to Cleveland, in spite of the reports. Like Reggie Miller said, no one would arrange such an event if they weren't returning home. In other words, no one would do something so despicable.

It was clearly built up that way. He probably should of just held a press conference and been like "Yup, going to Miami." I thought the Majority Owner letter of the Cavs as a reaction was even worse though. I thought it was fake when I first read it.

Forum List

Back