John Fund Changes His Mind On Miers-Now Against

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    None of this is boding well for GW. If she is as loyal as some are saying, why doesn't she just withdraw her name?

http://www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110007384

2. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    wow, this is utterly devastating. what in the world was bush and his people thinking?

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Too much "trust me." I don't think he ever realized how many have been very unhappy with his choices on domestic issues, while enthusiastically backing strong military decisions, when he took them.

4. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    that is a very piercing assessment of his presidency. he has consistently failed to deliver much of his domestic agenda. now that the media's brainwashed the american people into believing iraq is a disaster (though decisions made by his people are certainly to blame as well), they now have little to be satisfied with of his presidency this 2nd term.

5. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Personally, I would prefer that people wait until after the committee hearings to make a decision on the fitness of Miers to serve on the Court. Those who are writing the articles against her seem to know very little about her.

God knows, Miers could not be any worse than Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who the Republicans approved overwhelmingly to serve on the Court although they knew, based on her past experience and record, that she would certainly work to steer this country farther to the left. I don't go along with those Republican writers in the Blue States jumping all over Miers without any facts to back up what they say. After all, Rehnquist was no stellar Eastern intellectual when he was chosen to serve on the Court, and he did very well as both an associate justice and as Chief Justice.

6. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    That is the essential problem however. If we have to wait until the committee hearings to find out what Miers is really like, then we really don't really know her and frankly, we are not going to get to know her that much better anyway despite the hearings. She has no real proven track record.

That is why conservatives are so upset...as there are plenty of actual experienced judges who have good conservative records already and it is a slap in the face to not have one nominated.

I think it is time for conservatives to take a stand, reject Miers, and force Bush to pick a truly qualified conservative judicial candidate.

7. Adam's Apple

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    From what was reported prior to President Bush’s selection of Harriet Miers to be his nominee for the Court, he met with many people--both Republicans and Democrats-- to get their input on the replacement for Sandra Day O’Connor. This was for the express purpose of avoiding one of those infamous “wars” that occur every time someone is nominated for a judicial position in Washington. But from what has happened since he announced Miers as his choice, it looks like his error was in not meeting with the influential East Coast conservative journalists to get their input in the process. But, lest we forget, in the end it was Bush’s choice, subject to advice and consent of the Senate, not the choice of the journalists.

Last night on Hannity & Colmes, J.C. Watts said that many of the top ten people being considered for the Court declined to be considered further because they did not want to drag themselves and their families through the current selection process. So we don’t know all the factors that were involved in Bush’s selection of Miers. All we have is strictly speculation by journalists as to why Bush chose Miers.

Miers has been with Bush for many years and has played a very important role in vetting his judicial nominees—all conservatives. She serves as legal counsel for the President, one of the top legal jobs in the country. In such a job, she comes into contact with every kind of legal situation imaginable, so it seems to me that she would have to be well versed in all provisions of the law and the Constitution or she would not be able to hold that job. To say that she has no experience in Constitutional law, as has been written, is ludicrous. I am certain she knows far more about the law and the Constitution than her current detractors.

Right now we know very little about Harriet Miers. Without any further information than is currently available to us, she is just as qualified to serve on the Court as six of the current nine justices. Wouldn’t it be far better to wait until the Judicial Committee hearings and hear what Miers has to say on her own behalf before making judgments about her? She has a right to be given fair and careful consideration.

8. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I heard Bush is going to appoint his former school crossing guard to head the Dept. of Transportation. And his dog walker for Secretary of Defense. After that he's going to appoint a box of Pop Tarts to the position of head chef at the White House.

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    They may do quite well when compared with others who have held those positions.

10. Adam's Apple

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Bush has a record of surrounding himself with highly qualified women who he has no qualms about appointing to positions of real power. I have been satisfied with the women who have served and now serve in his administration. Therefore, there is no reason for me to doubt that he knows what he is doing when he nominates Miers for the high court.