John F. Kennedys Catholic faith in 1960 was a non-issue

Kennedy being a Catholic was what got us in Vietnam.

Vietnam was 99% Buddhist

But was ruled by a Catholic minority installed by France which is basically a Catholic country.

When the French lost the war against the Vietnaneese.

Kennedy was secretly asked/told by the Vatican to fill the gap left by the departing French troops.

He then sent U.S. troops to Vietnam. And we all know the rest of the story.

If Kennedy hadn't been a Catholic

I seriously doubt that America would have ever gotten involved in the tragedy we call the Vietnam War.

Wasn't a huge issue at all.

He won the freaking election.....................

JFK was a Christian.

Roman Catholic was the original Christian faith -protestents off-shoots

The 1960 election was a squeker.

Nixon was a good sport.

JFK was actually more conservative than liberal.......................

I was 7 during the 1960 election.

10 when JFK was assainated.

A person of vision.

Would have pulled out of nam. Landed Americans on the Moon.

Your posts are like Diet Coke... light on substance and tasteless.

More political than religeous.

Catholic /Epicispalian is one and the same - and not much difference from the other Protestant branches.

Although it was a big deal for a while in Northern Ireland (The Troubles) what the frick were they fighting over ? Seems to have calmed down

Not true. I am Catholic and was 11 years old when he ran for president. A BIG deal was made of it.

JFK was a Christian.

Roman Catholic was the original Christian faith -protestents off-shoots

I was approached by people more than once that told me I am not a Christian. You really don't know what you're talking about. I've been criticized because we pray to the Blessed Mother and because we also have statues in the church that we pray in front of.

Portions of a speech given by President Kennedy on September 12, 1960:

While the so-called religious issue is necessarily and properly the chief topic here tonight, I want to emphasize from the outset that I believe that we have far more critical issues in the 1960 campaign; the spread of Communist influence, until it now festers only 90 miles from the coast of Florida -- the humiliating treatment of our President and Vice President by those who no longer respect our power -- the hungry children I saw in West Virginia, the old people who cannot pay their doctors bills, the families forced to give up their farms -- an America with too many slums, with too few schools, and too late to the moon and outer space. These are the real issues which should decide this campaign. And they are not religious issues -- for war and hunger and ignorance and despair know no religious barrier.

But because I am a Catholic, and no Catholic has ever been elected President, the real issues in this campaign have been obscured -- perhaps deliberately, in some quarters less responsible than this. So it is apparently necessary for me to state once again -- not what kind of church I believe in, for that should be important only to me -- but what kind of America I believe in.

I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute; where no Catholic prelate would tell the President -- should he be Catholic -- how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishioners for whom to vote; where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference, and where no man is denied public office merely because his religion differs from the President who might appoint him, or the people who might elect him.

American Rhetoric: John F. Kennedy -- Address to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association

Catholic /Epicispalian is one and the same - and not much difference from the other Protestant branches.

Although it was a big deal for a while in Northern Ireland (The Troubles) what the frick were they fighting over ? Seems to have calmed down

Not true. I am Catholic and was 11 years old when he ran for president. A BIG deal was made of it.

You are correct.

I was about the same age and although I no idea what the election was about (nor did I give a shit), I do remember JFKs' Catholicness being a topic of conversation among the adults.

The rhetoric does seem familiar..

wantedfortreason.jpg

wantedfortreason.jpg

If it's any consolation, perhaps in in 20 years the idea of another black man running for president will be as much a non-issue as an Irish Catholic running.

You know what pisses me off? My Catholic family members who attack Obama with the same absurd ad homiem that was directed towards Kennedy.

You'd think they'd learn.

wantedfortreason.jpg

If it's any consolation, perhaps in in 20 years the idea of another black man running for president will be as much a non-issue as an Irish Catholic running.

You know what pisses me off? My Catholic family members who attack Obama with the same absurd ad homiem that was directed towards Kennedy.

This type of nonsense is directed at the simple minded who do not need a grasp of complex issues. Simple concepts like Traitor, Commie, Un-American are enough to convince them

wantedfortreason.jpg

People don't learn and history repeats itself.

This type of nonsense is directed at the simple minded who do not need a grasp of complex issues. Simple concepts like Traitor, Commie, Un-American are enough to convince them

Yeah, I think this particular poster was put out by the Jon Bircher Society.

They are known for their douchbaggary.

And the tactic has been picked up by the teabaggary

And the tactic has been picked up by the teabaggary

Uh oh. You said teabag. That really pisses off the teabaggers.

At any rate, the teabaggers have a lot in common with the Birchers. I wonder if the Birchers have considered resurrecting themselves?

How does this relate to the title of the threas?

I remember the 1960 election well. JFK's religion was a huge issue.

Clearly he has no idea what he was talking about. Opposition to JFK made a huge issue of his religion. Claiming we would never know if he was more loyal to the US or the pope.

My initial impression was to call you stupid and/or a liar. I took a deep breath and realized you're about 14 years old and using moms computer in the family room.

You are correct.

I was about the same age and although I no idea what the election was about (nor did I give a shit), I do remember JFKs' Catholicness being a topic of conversation among the adults.

Exactly!!! I grew up in SoCal and my grandparents came out here during the winter from upstate NY, to get away from the snow. That is all that they and my parents talked about. They loved JFK and were always upset about the Catholic controversy. Back then kids didn't have their own tv. I was so mad because they kept watching news all the time and I couldn't watch anything!! It WAS so boring for us, wasn't it??? :lol:

Forum List

Back