John Edwards: Democrats will stop Alzheimer's if elected!

Sailor Man

Staunch Independent
In a recent speech in Newton, Iowa, John Edwards made the outlandish claim that, if elected, he and John Kerry would stop many major diseases like Alzmeimer's, Parkinson's and others. His exact words were:

"We will do stem cell research. We will stop juvenile diabetes, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and other debilitating diseases. America just lost a great champion for this cause in Christopher Reeve. People like Chris Reeve will get out of their wheelchairs and walk again with stem cell research."

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist attacked Edwards on Tuesday over these comments saying:

"I find it opportunistic to use the death of someone like Christopher Reeve -- I think it is shameful -- in order to mislead the American people. We should be offering people hope, but neither physicians, scientists, public servants or trial lawyers like John Edwards should be offering hype."

"It is cruel to people who have disabilities and chronic diseases, and, on top of that, it's dishonest. It's giving false hope to people, and I can tell you as a physician who's treated scores of thousands of patients that you don't give them false hope."

I also found it shameful for Edwards to crassly exploit Reeve's death for political gain. But what can you expect from an ambulance chaser?

I agree with you,sailorman. I knew,knew ,knew that someone was going to do this. I really didn't think Kerry/Edwards would be stupid enough to take this on and make it political. Not to mention,my guess is that even with the stem cell research going on with the adult stem cells,it will probably take some years to find cures. On top of all that,I thought I heard on the news that Reeve died more of complications from an infection. Edwrds doesn't mention that though.

:bat:

Scientists Find Alzheimer’s Treatment While Trying To Cure Diabetes...

Report: Scientists Find Alzheimer’s Treatment While Trying To Cure Diabetes
January 2, 2018 — Although their goal was to cure diabetes, scientists may have stumbled onto a new medication to help treat the devastating effects of Alzheimer’s disease.
According to a press release from researchers at Lancaster University, a new drug being tested for diabetes patients was found to have “significantly reversed memory loss” in test subjects and is now being examined as possible treatment for neurodegenerative disorders. The medication, known as a triple receptor drug — or “triple agonist” — reportedly works in multiple ways to protect the brain against degeneration and promote growth. Researchers say that a study of mice being given the drug found that the animals had an increased ability to learn and retain memories. “These very promising outcomes demonstrate the efficacy of these novel multiple receptor drugs that originally were developed to treat type 2 diabetes,” Professor Christian Holscher said in the release.

The scientists added that the mice showed a decrease in chronic inflammation and amyloid plaques in the brain, which have been linked to the development of Alzheimer’s in people. “With no new treatments in nearly 15 years, we need to find new ways of tackling Alzheimer’s,” Dr. Doug Brown of the Alzheimer’s Society said. “It’s imperative that we explore whether drugs developed to treat other conditions can benefit people with Alzheimer’s.”

The discovery of the diabetes drug’s side-effect is not a complete coincidence to the researchers. The findings, published in the journal Brain Research, point to the link between some of the symptoms of diabetes and their link to Alzheimer’s. Insulin desensitisation is not only one of the key effects suffered by diabetes patients, the hormone’s lack of production has also reportedly been observed in the brains of people affected by the memory-stealing disorder.

Report: Scientists Find Alzheimer's Treatment While Trying To Cure Diabetes

Forum List

Back