John Edwards = B. Obama

Sinatra

Feb 5, 2009
Compelling article regarding how John Edwards rise to the ranks of the presidential candidate elite is strong testimony to the media's willingness to ignore a near total lack of substantive accomplishment in favor of a glossed over political persona.

And the direct link this article by Marie Cocco is making to Obama is less than subtle...

RealClearPolitics - What Did the Media See in Edwards?

Ah, the never-ending enigma of American presidential politics. You can pick a guy with no ideas... or you can pick a guy with bad ideas.

aosdihasdpo

Ah, the never-ending enigma of American presidential politics. You can pick a guy with no ideas... or you can pick a guy with bad ideas.

aosdihasdpo

And which of those two categories do you place Mr. Obama?

That's if Obama is the same as Edwards because... uh..well, uhm...

Well they're both Democrats...

Anything to throw some mud.

That's if Obama is the same as Edwards because... uh..well, uhm...

Well they're both Democrats...

Anything to throw some mud.

I suggest you actually read the linked article.

The primary indictment is against the media, not Obama nor Edwards, though the similarities of each are made clear.

Compelling article regarding how John Edwards rise to the ranks of the presidential candidate elite is strong testimony to the media's willingness to ignore a near total lack of substantive accomplishment in favor of a glossed over political persona.

And the direct link this article by Marie Cocco is making to Obama is less than subtle...

I'm not going to read the article; but I disagree that Edwards was really in the elite. He only became known because Kerry picked him as a runny mate. And despite the name recognition that provided, I don't think he generally polled much above 10%, did he?

I'm not going to read the article; but I disagree that Edwards was really in the elite. He only became known because Kerry picked him as a runny mate. And despite the name recognition that provided, I don't think he generally polled much above 10%, did he?

Actually in 2007 Edwards was polling as the front-runner heading into the primary season.

His inability to fundraise as effectively limited his viability over the long haul though - but as this poll clearly indicates, his positive treatment by the media allowed him to ascend to the ranks of the presidential candidate elite.

And you really should read the article.

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2007/images/12/11/tue6ampoll.pdf

Starting mostly with the latter Clinton period it seems to me that the media is Deserately Seeking Susan. The need to "feed the beast" back home has become a growing challenge in the face of their industry's economic decay and loss of public mindshare.

They have now slipped into almost pure entertainment mode, their gravitas is more obviously political, they trot out their biases like drag queens, and largely speak to eachother.

At the heart of it though, IMHO, is what we are witnessing something like field cows herding together in the face of lightning.

Actually in 2007 Edwards was polling as the front-runner heading into the primary season.

His inability to fundraise as effectively limited his viability over the long haul though - but as this poll clearly indicates, his positive treatment by the media allowed him to ascend to the ranks of the presidential candidate elite.

Edwards hit 30% in Iowa, 17% in NH,18% in SC and 14% in Fla. Other than those states he didn't break the top ten.

I read it. The article doesn't change my belief much. It wasn't the media so much IMO. Edwards was only a figure in 2008 because he'd gained some rep as Kerry's running mate. Otherwise he'd be another unknown compared to Clinton and Obama.

The author says:

"I worry more that Edwards became a two-time presidential contender and the 2004 vice presidential nominee based on little but his own preening."

That is the nature of presidential politics isn't it? Palin is being waived around as a potential front runner in 2012. Do you think she'd even be a also ran if McCain hadn't put her on the ticket?

Name recognition is key.

I don't find the comparison between Obama and Edwards compelling. Edwards got whatever status he had by being the Veep pick. Obama got it because he was black, and because he made a killer speech on the Dem convention in 2004. That propelled him into name recognition status in the Dem party. I remember seeing him that night and saying "He's going to be our first black president". I just didn't think it would be in 2009.

I never cared for John Edwards when he made his first bid, then became Kerry's choice for vice. There was always something pretentious, almost cagey about him (but even that isn't the right word to describe my gut feeling). I have no idea how he got to be so popular. Possibly because he looked a little like young Jack Kennedy?

As for press coverage, I think they went into overdrive over the Democrats because it was clear that it was going to be their year to win the White House compounded by the fact that the Republican nomination was all wrapped up by February 2008, eight months before the election, while the Dem primary was not decided until July. So of course there was going to be more media coverage of Democrats.

Were you aware that some people actually ask to be guests on cable news shows? Quite often they're not invited, but elbow their way on for the exposure. When there's a slot, it happens.

Starting mostly with the latter Clinton period it seems to me that the media is Deserately Seeking Susan. The need to "feed the beast" back home has become a growing challenge in the face of their industry's economic decay and loss of public mindshare.

They have now slipped into almost pure entertainment mode, their gravitas is more obviously political, they trot out their biases like drag queens, and largely speak to eachother.

At the heart of it though, IMHO, is what we are witnessing something like field cows herding together in the face of lightning.

That's one reason I'll miss print newspaper. I find myself flipping channels more frequently just trying to find a "news" program where the gang isn't all giggly over something or talking over their guests. I don't read an entire newspaper online, like I do when I'm holding one in my hand. You'd be surprised what you discover in the back pages.

I liked him during the primary season when he was touting the "I am going to be above the usual dirty politics". Then he turned around and became a rabid moonbat, and I couldn't tolerate him anymore....much like that red faced loon Howard Dean.

That's one reason I'll miss print newspaper. I find myself flipping channels more frequently just trying to find a "news" program where the gang isn't all giggly over something or talking over their guests. I don't read an entire newspaper online, like I do when I'm holding one in my hand. You'd be surprised what you discover in the back pages.

Boy, you have that right. The best articles are always in the back.

Forum List

Back