John Bolton on the the greatest misconceptions that Democrats have about Republicans.

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Posted by The Right Scoop on Dec 12, 2011 in Politics | 57 Comments
When John Bolton was asked the question of what he thought was the greatest misconception that Democrats have about Republicans, I honestly didn’t expect such a brilliantly deep answer. I guess I’ve gotten used to fluff. But Bolton hit it out of the park and I just had to start the day with it:

video and comments at site.

Bolton said..
“The core misimpression is that a fundamental belief in liberty and it’s implications is somehow cruel and uncaring. When in fact, liberty is absolutely central to the most massive economic change in the history of the world that has brought more concrete material advantages to people in the last few hundred years than in millennia before that. And that understanding liberty means you have to value the possibility of failure as well as the possibility of success. Because if you don’t have failure as an option, you’ll never have success as an option.

It’s not lack of compassion that drives many Republican policy preferences, it’s a belief in the inherent importance of individual self-worth and not being dependent on external factors like the government.”

from with comments..
John Bolton on the greatest misconception that Democrats have about Republicans | The Right Scoop

When John Bolton was asked the question of what he thought was the greatest misconception that Democrats have about Republicans, I honestly didn’t expect such a brilliantly deep answer. I guess I’ve gotten used to fluff. But Bolton hit it out of the park and I just had to start the day with it:

Bolton said..
“The core misimpression is that a fundamental belief in liberty and it’s implications is somehow cruel and uncaring. When in fact, liberty is absolutely central to the most massive economic change in the history of the world that has brought more concrete material advantages to people in the last few hundred years than in millennia before that. And that understanding liberty means you have to value the possibility of failure as well as the possibility of success. Because if you don’t have failure as an option, you’ll never have success as an option.

It’s not lack of compassion that drives many Republican policy preferences, it’s a belief in the inherent importance of individual self-worth and not being dependent on external factors like the government.”

from with comments..
John Bolton on the greatest misconception that Democrats have about Republicans | The Right Scoop

The biggest misconception Republicans have is that somehow liberty is a value that only applies to their party

Bolton comes across like a pompous, mean old white man which of course turns a lot of people off.

But he is smart as hell, and like a lot of us arrogant old white fellows, we are usually right.

What's not a misconception at all, is the observations that Republicans don't live up to this ideal. Don't even really try. Their passion for 'liberty' is utterly selective - perhaps even more so than it is for 'libruls'. Ask the banksters about failure as an 'option'.

And?

No one disagrees with this, particularly democrats and progressives. It would seem the misconception belongs to the republicans.

What the right fails to understand is that liberals and progressives don’t adhere blindly to political dogma – a pragmatic approach is always best.

The fact is for millions of Americans ‘competition’ is simply not an option, for reasons of age or health, for example. And there’s no point in a civilized society to allow those who fail to be left to die and rot on the roadside.

Conservatives would be well-advised to come out of their fantasy dream-world from time to time and experience reality and the truth. It can’t do them any harm.

For millions more Americans failure is a choice they make for themselves, then pretend they are too pathetic to take care of themselves.

The occupy movement and every protester in it was a shining example of such choice.

And?

No one disagrees with this, particularly democrats and progressives. It would seem the misconception belongs to the republicans.

What the right fails to understand is that liberals and progressives don’t adhere blindly to political dogma – a pragmatic approach is always best.

The fact is for millions of Americans ‘competition’ is simply not an option, for reasons of age or health, for example. And there’s no point in a civilized society to allow those who fail to be left to die and rot on the roadside.
Conservatives would be well-advised to come out of their fantasy dream-world from time to time and experience reality and the truth. It can’t do them any harm.

good grief..:eusa_hand:

good grief..:eusa_hand:

Good grief indeed. Not sure it's on topic, but it's worth pointing out the core assumption behind this notion - namely that government is the only vehicle for compassionate society (or even a good one). Anyone who dares to question this assumption is attacked with "let 'em die!" demagoguery.

Bolton said..

from with comments..

The biggest misconception Republicans have is that somehow liberty is a value that only applies to their party
Speaking of liberal misconceptions...

Bolton said..

from with comments..

It was liberals who gave this country liberty....

Indeed. But it wasn't statists or progressives or modern liberals.

This country gained it's liberty despite the efforts of conservatives who remained loyal to the king

The latest victory for liberty came during the civil rights movement where conservatives fought for states rights and against "big government"

This country gained it's liberty despite the efforts of conservatives who remained loyal to the king

The latest victory for liberty came during the civil rights movement where conservatives fought for states rights and against "big government"
Correct.

Since 1954 progressives have been fighting to gain and protect the civil liberties of Americans and restrict government preemption of rights, mostly with regard to state and local governments’ efforts to violate citizens’ rights. And every step of the way those efforts were opposed by conservatives, in violation of the Constitution and rule of law.

Indeed. But it wasn't statists or progressives or modern liberals.

If today's liberals were around then, they'd have informed on the revolutionaries to the King.

Correct.

Since 1954 progressives have been fighting to gain and protect the civil liberties of Americans and restrict government preemption of rights, mostly with regard to state and local governments’ efforts to violate citizens’ rights. And every step of the way those efforts were opposed by conservatives, in violation of the Constitution and rule of law.
Well, that's certainly one interpretation of reality.

An incorrect one.

Bolton said..

from with comments..

oh what friggin ever:rolleyes: diarrhea of the mouth for god sakes, did you actually read what he wrote? or just vomit?..... was that to deep for you? and the boiler room useful idiot who thanked you?

Correct.

:lol:why pick 1954? BvsBoE? you're a hack, thats why you picked 1954.

go ahead and tell everyone why.........

Forum List

Back