John Boehner's Approval Rating Takes Big Hit

Last election, the GOP ran on "jobs, jobs, jobs".

Guess what.........their whole focus when they got to DC was keeping DADT, DOMA, and other non issues.

They then took the debt ceiling debate (which had up to this time been a matter of "budget housecleaning" and it had always passed) and turned it into a political football.

Agreed. Even if Boehner and the Tea Party had gotten 100% of what they wanted, I fail to see how that would have turned our economy around and created more jobs.

The Tea Party, for the most part, doesn't see it as their responsibilty to create jobs. One of their best points.

Mike

Well, considering they were started by Dick Army and the Koch brothers, no, they're not interested in jobs.

They're interested in preserving the tax cuts and busting unions for their corporate overlords.

Agreed. Even if Boehner and the Tea Party had gotten 100% of what they wanted, I fail to see how that would have turned our economy around and created more jobs.

The Tea Party, for the most part, doesn't see it as their responsibilty to create jobs. One of their best points.

Mike

Well, considering they were started by Dick Army and the Koch brothers, no, they're not interested in jobs.

They're interested in preserving the tax cuts and busting unions for their corporate overlords.

I don't want the Tea Party to create jobs. I don't want the government to create jobs, I want them to get the hell out of the way and let the private industry create jobs. I want to preserve tax cuts and bust unions... is that because of my corporate overloards?

Mike

Mike

I don't want the Tea Party to create jobs. I don't want the government to create jobs, I want them to get the hell out of the way and let the private industry create jobs. I want to preserve tax cuts and bust unions... is that because of my corporate overloards?

Mike

What corporation do you think would have taken the time and effort to create the Hoover Dam? How about the Eisenhower highway system? Nope, sorry, but in some cases you've got to have government do things and create jobs by doing so.

Matter of fact, currently, we could generate a LOT of jobs if we would just start spending some money on fixing the infrastructure of the bridges and roads. More could be generated by making a high speed rail system. Wanna know what made this country great? First, it was joining the West and East coasts via railroad, and then it was by creating a highway system that pretty much joined the whole country.

Private industry would never create jobs like that, the profit margin just isn't there.

As far as busting unions? Ever heard the term "robber baron"? It was something that existed back in the 1800's in this country. Ever heard of the Shirtwaist Factory Fire? Did you like getting paid minimum wage when you were in high school and for the first part of your working life? Do you like having a safe working environment? If so, thank a union.

As far as tax cuts? Do you realize that the average middle class American pays about 28 percent of their income in taxes? Additionally, do you also realize that the wealthy pay only about 17 to 18 percent, because of monetary gains tax loopholes?

And sorry, but fixing the road system of this country will generate more revenue and more jobs than ANY corporate tax loophole for jets.

By the way, know how much money is generated on the economy if you pay 1.00 to a wealthy individual? 1.03.

Know how much is generated by giving it to lower and middle class families? 1.63.

1) Agreed government shouldn't "create" jobs. Government should regulate capitalism for the best interests of the nation and, within those parameters, capitalism creates the jobs.

2) Busting unions is code for "depriving American citizens of their rights to freedom of speech and freedom of assembly". Yes, it is the bidding of corporate "overlords" or, more specifically, a well-moneyed minority seeking to deprive others of their Constitutional rights.

Mike

What corporation do you think would have taken the time and effort to create the Hoover Dam? How about the Eisenhower highway system? Nope, sorry, but in some cases you've got to have government do things and create jobs by doing so.

Matter of fact, currently, we could generate a LOT of jobs if we would just start spending some money on fixing the infrastructure of the bridges and roads. More could be generated by making a high speed rail system. Wanna know what made this country great? First, it was joining the West and East coasts via railroad, and then it was by creating a highway system that pretty much joined the whole country.

Private industry would never create jobs like that, the profit margin just isn't there.

As far as busting unions? Ever heard the term "robber baron"? It was something that existed back in the 1800's in this country. Ever heard of the Shirtwaist Factory Fire? Did you like getting paid minimum wage when you were in high school and for the first part of your working life? Do you like having a safe working environment? If so, thank a union.

As far as tax cuts? Do you realize that the average middle class American pays about 28 percent of their income in taxes? Additionally, do you also realize that the wealthy pay only about 17 to 18 percent, because of monetary gains tax loopholes?

And sorry, but fixing the road system of this country will generate more revenue and more jobs than ANY corporate tax loophole for jets.

By the way, know how much money is generated on the economy if you pay 1.00 to a wealthy individual? 1.03.

Know how much is generated by giving it to lower and middle class families? 1.63.

Really? who INVENTED the model A cars, the Telephone, the light bulb, railroads, etc etc.
And putting people to WORK on infrastructure will ONLY LAST so long. And you get to work for the Government and then also pay yourself the wages through them taxing you and your fellow workers. HOW bout that one...Sounds like fun to me

The government did not create those jobs. Demand created those jobs. I don't disagree that governments should transact in those transactions that an individual [or corporation] cannot transact. <- not that my rep means much at this point but rep if you can tell me (honestly without google) who said that.

Again, the government doesn't create the jobs. The demand creates jobs. I'm not against government employing people (for things which are constitutionally sanctioned) but I am against government policy that is "designed to create jobs". If there is a logistical need for a road, build it. (I prefer state governments handle roads but I am not going to split hairs).

That's a pretty wild assumption. Private industry will almost always find the most economical/efficent solution. Government, on the other hand, doesn't exist on a balance sheet (appearantly) so they have no concer for cost basis.

I never got paid minimum wage. I never needed or wanted minimum wage and minimum wage screws the little guy but I won't bother with the economics lesson on that. Minimum wage is the biggest imposition on individual freedom in the history of this country. Who in the hell is the government to tell an individual what rate he must charge for his labor?

I have no problem with unions or with union busting. I think that I can peddle my labor effectively without the help of a union. I would never work for or become a member of a union and in my opinion, they have outlived their usefulness.

Again. A failed understanding of economics. Who is inheriting the financial risk in the transaction?

Stop with the class warfare and buzz words. They have no place in an argument.

I'm not against fixing roads. I am against "job creation bills". Fix the roads for the purpose of fixing roads, not for the purpose of hiring people.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you arrive at these statistics.

Overall if we're going to do anything tax wise, lets just set everyone's income tax to a set percentage and eliminate taxes on investment returns.

Mike

Mike

Really? who INVENTED the model A cars, the Telephone, the light bulb, railroads, etc etc.
And putting people to WORK on infrastructure will ONLY LAST so long. And you get to work for the Government and then also pay yourself the wages through them taxing you and your fellow workers. HOW bout that one...Sounds like fun to me

Individuals invented INDIVIDUAL products. Corporations would never have decided to build roads (or railroads) from coast to coast. Like I said, no profit margin.

As far as "only lasting so long"? Well, wrong yet again, because roads WILL ALWAYS need to be repaired.

Individuals invented INDIVIDUAL products. Corporations would never have decided to build roads (or railroads) from coast to coast. Like I said, no profit margin.

As far as "only lasting so long"? Well, wrong yet again, because roads WILL ALWAYS need to be repaired.

THE Corporations is WHAT built the railroads. They invested THE MONEY to have it done. Just look at AMTRACK that the Guberment runs NOW. it has yet to go into the black, is unreliable, is more expensive to ride and you can DRIVE for cheaper. Just look at the Post office compared to Federal Express....
And just what Corporations contract to WORK on the infrastructure? The Guberment Corporation? they are large and small Business owners that contract through the state. gawd you are dumb.

Last edited:

1) Agreed government shouldn't "create" jobs. Government should regulate capitalism for the best interests of the nation and, within those parameters, capitalism creates the jobs.

2) Busting unions is code for "depriving American citizens of their rights to freedom of speech and freedom of assembly". Yes, it is the bidding of corporate "overlords" or, more specifically, a well-moneyed minority seeking to deprive others of their Constitutional rights.
1 – Almost true though I think that regulations should only exist to protect the people. That is what the nation is for. To me, there is no best interest of the nation. I don’t care about it past its function of ensuring our freedoms are not infringed upon.

2 - Only in the warped liberal definition is that true. In that mindset there is only complete control by the unions or there is no union at all. This is completely false. Unions should not cease to exist but neither should they exist in the current state where you are FORCED to join or forced to pay. There is nothing wrong with a right to work without having your right to NOT be in a union infringed. The left seems to think that unions deserve special powers and rights in the same way that Obama gave them special privileges within the healthcare bill and car bailouts. I believe that unions should stand on their own 2 feet.

1 – Almost true though I think that regulations should only exist to protect the people. That is what the nation is for. To me, there is no best interest of the nation. I don’t care about it past its function of ensuring our freedoms are not infringed upon.
You don't care that all of our elected officials swear to support and defend the Constitution? You don't care what the Preamble of our Constitution says?:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

2 - Only in the warped liberal definition is that true.
Name-call all you like, but the fact remains busting unions means depriving Americans of their rights. Limit the power of unions just like limit the power of corporations? Sure. Even Benjamin Franklin recognized the wisdom of "Everything in moderation".

Osama Bin Laden's original intent was to take down this country.

Grover Norquist has the same idea apparently.

Question: Why is it that we have elected officials who have sworn an oath to defend the Constitution, yet they also sign away their loyalty to no new taxes?

Norquist is a traitor.

You don't care that all of our elected officials swear to support and defend the Constitution? You don't care what the Preamble of our Constitution says?:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

2 - Only in the warped liberal definition is that true.
Name-call all you like, but the fact remains busting unions means depriving Americans of their rights. Limit the power of unions just like limit the power of corporations? Sure. Even Benjamin Franklin recognized the wisdom of "Everything in moderation".

In other words, you did not read a damn thing I posted. Try again and address the points.

Forum List

Back