John Boehner: No tax cuts for middle class without tax cuts for top two percent

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
John Boehner: No tax cuts for middle class without tax cuts for top two percent
Washington Post ^ | 11/28/2012 | Greg Sargent

Boehner: No tax cuts for middle class without tax cuts for top two percent - The Plum Line - The Washington Post

As you know, GOP Rep. Tom Cole made waves today by urging Republicans to give in to the Dem demand that they extend the Bush tax cuts for everyone under $250,000. Cole argued this would remove the leverage Dems have and give the GOP more leverage to fight to extend the high-end tax cuts later, since Dems want the fiscal cliff averted and also want a debt ceiling hike.

Today John Boehner rejected Cole’s suggestion. But in the process, he said something pretty revealing:

“I told Tom earlier in our conference meeting that I disagreed with him,” Boehner told reporters after a closed-door meeting of the House Republican Conference. “He’s a wonderful friend of mine and a great supporter of mine. But raising taxes on the so-called top 2 percent — half of those people are small-business owners that pay their taxes through their personal income tax filing every year. The goal here is to grow the economy and to cut spending.

“We’re not going to grow the economy if we raise tax rates on the top two rates,” the Speaker added. “It’ll hurt small businesses. It’ll hurt our economy. That’s why it’s not the right approach. We’ll willing to put revenue on the table as long as we’re not raising rates.”

In Boehner’s telling, extending the tax cuts just for those under $250,000 is simply indistinguishable from raising them on those Boehner himself describes as the “top two percent.” But Cole isn’t suggesting a tax hike for the top two percent. Rather, Cole wants Republicans to extend the low end tax rates right now, and then take a stand against raising the high end ones in the fiscal cliff talks.

I fail to grasp why it is the responsibility of those who worked very hard for their success to be singled out and forced to pay more than those who arguably did not put forth the effort.

Boner is fucking things up and Obamination is laughing behind his back.

The Democraps want the GOP to be blamed for everyone's taxes going up.

Boner is a fucking moron and a crybaby.

Why are we doing this by ideology instead of knowledge based?? This is very serious and we need to make sure that what we do doesn't hurt us.

Will raising the taxes on the top 2 percent hurt or help?

you mean putting them back to where they were when clinton was president and the economy was booming?

that tax increase?

i'd say it won't hurt and it will help our budget.... which will help our economy.

so there ya go.

I fail to grasp why it is the responsibility of those who worked very hard for their success to be singled out and forced to pay more than those who arguably did not put forth the effort.

I resent the implication. I put forth 100% everyday at work.

The GOP leaders need to remove Boner from his position for being insane, it's as if he is working for Obamination wearing a GOP uniform.

There is no way in hell that the Bush tax cuts for the top 2% would ever pass Congress or get Obama to accept it unless they are tied to extending the tax cuts for everybody else.

Letting the Bush tax cuts expire for the top 2% doesn't mean the overall tax burden would return to what it was under Clinton. That's cuz state taxes have substantially risen since then, along with property taxes and many others. And don't forget the other taxes going up on the first of the year too, the impact on a fragile economy could be more than you think.

Why are we doing this by ideology instead of knowledge based?? This is very serious and we need to make sure that what we do doesn't hurt us.

Will raising the taxes on the top 2 percent hurt or help?

you mean putting them back to where they were when clinton was president and the economy was booming?

that tax increase?

i'd say it won't hurt and it will help our budget.... which will help our economy.

so there ya go.

You gonna do the Clinton cuts too?

Forum List

Back