John Boehner: Debt Deal Will Include New Tax Revenues

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
Looks like Obama's winning message is finally getting to the GOP. Of course, Boehner is talking about reforming the tax code, not raising rates. It seems that he's pushing for a flat tax. So, the fight over how revenues will be raised will be another story; nevertheless, this is a good sign for Dems.

WASHINGTON -- House Speaker John Boehner said Thursday that any bipartisan agreement reached by the congressional deficit-reduction supercommittee will need to include some new tax revenue.

Most Congressional Republicans have signed a "taxpayer protection pledge" -- devised by the Grover Norquist-led group Americans for Tax Reform -- vowing not to raise taxes. When asked about Norquist on Thursday, Boehner dismissed him as "some random person in America" but later revised his comments to say that "Norquist, like millions of Americans, believes that raising taxes is not good for our economy."

According to CBS News, Boehner insisted that Republicans would only compromise on tax revenue if Democrats were willing to take significant steps to shore up entitlement programs.

"Without real reform on the entitlement side, I'm not even going to put any new revenue on the table," Boehner said. Entitlement programs include Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

Any new tax revenue would not come from raising rates, he said, but from overhauling the tax code, sweeping out loopholes and deductions in order to reduce individual and corporate rates.

"I do think that our efforts to have a flatter, fairer tax system, with our targets being 25 percent top rates for corporations, 25 percent top rates for individuals, is achievable," Boehner said. "That means you clean out all the garbage. I think it's very important that it get done."

Looks like Obama's winning message is finally getting to the GOP. Of course, Boehner is talking about reforming the tax code, not raising rates. It seems that he's pushing for a flat tax. So, the fight over how revenues will be raised will be another story; nevertheless, this is a good sign for Dems.

WASHINGTON -- House Speaker John Boehner said Thursday that any bipartisan agreement reached by the congressional deficit-reduction supercommittee will need to include some new tax revenue.

Most Congressional Republicans have signed a "taxpayer protection pledge" -- devised by the Grover Norquist-led group Americans for Tax Reform -- vowing not to raise taxes. When asked about Norquist on Thursday, Boehner dismissed him as "some random person in America" but later revised his comments to say that "Norquist, like millions of Americans, believes that raising taxes is not good for our economy."

According to CBS News, Boehner insisted that Republicans would only compromise on tax revenue if Democrats were willing to take significant steps to shore up entitlement programs.

"Without real reform on the entitlement side, I'm not even going to put any new revenue on the table," Boehner said. Entitlement programs include Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

Any new tax revenue would not come from raising rates, he said, but from overhauling the tax code, sweeping out loopholes and deductions in order to reduce individual and corporate rates.

"I do think that our efforts to have a flatter, fairer tax system, with our targets being 25 percent top rates for corporations, 25 percent top rates for individuals, is achievable," Boehner said. "That means you clean out all the garbage. I think it's very important that it get done."

this has nothing to do with Obama making headway, the GOP giving in, the Dems getting good news.

This has to do with congress hearing the people.

• Banned

this has nothing to do with Obama making headway, the GOP giving in, the Dems getting good news.

I disagree. Republicans have been ignoring the peoples' will on this issue. According to numerous polls, Americans by a clear majority (including Republicans) want taxes to be on the table; but Republicans have been completely unwilling to even consider taxes as part of a deal. As recently as a couple of months back, Boehner said that taxes are a nonstarter in the deficit deal. Now, after Obama has been traveling the country using the bully pulpit to get his message out, Boehner (and 40 GOP Reps who signed a letter asking the deficit commission to put taxes on the table) are changing their tune. I believe this is a direct result of Obama's efforts.

I disagree. Republicans have been ignoring the peoples' will on this issue. According to numerous polls, Americans by a clear majority (including Republicans) want taxes to be on the table; but Republicans have been completely unwillingness to even consider taxes as part of a deal. As recently as a couple of months back, Boehner said that taxes are a nonstarter in the deficit deal. Now, after Obama has been traveling the country using the bully pulpit to get his message out, Boehner (and 40 GOP Reps who signed a letter asking the deficit commission to put taxes on the table) are changing their tune. I believe this is a direct result of Obama's efforts.

lets clarify something...

I believe it is 86% of Americans are OK with an increase on taxes on the top 1%...
Of course they are...because it doesnt affect them.

If you took a poll asking who wants free food for life....I bet 86% would say yes.

That is not truly indicative of the will of the people.

Now...if the poll asked this....

"Would you be for the governemnt raisning taxes on a certain percentage of the American people to help with our debt, but those chosen will be random and from any income bracket, except those within the poverty level..."

I bet the only ones for it would be those within the poverty level....

When you look at polls like that, you need to consider human nature JosefK....

Last edited:
I can say it this way...

What do you think the poll results will be if you asked...

"would you be in favor of government taking 99% of the money from the top 1% of the people and divie it up equally and give it to the other 99%"

Do you believe the results would be anything less than 86% saying Yes?

So that being said.....should government heed to the will of the people in this case?

OMG!!!

The speaker of the House is actually going to stand up to Grover Norquist.

Unbelievable!

I seriously doubt that Cons in the House are going let any tax increase pass. A flat tax such as the 9-9-9 plan which would be a big tax cut for the wealthy would probably pass.

I seriously doubt that Cons in the House are going let any tax increase pass. A flat tax such as the 9-9-9 plan which would be a big tax cut for the wealthy would probably pass.

The Cons will take the Super Congress deal, whatever it is, over the default defense cuts.

And no way would 9-9-9 pass.

The Cons will take the Super Congress deal, whatever it is, over the default defense cuts.

And no way would 9-9-9 pass.
I think corporate support for the plan would be overwhelming.

I can say it this way...

What do you think the poll results will be if you asked...

"would you be in favor of government taking 99% of the money from the top 1% of the people and divie it up equally and give it to the other 99%"

Do you believe the results would be anything less than 86% saying Yes?

Yes. I'm quite confident that such a radical proposal would have minimal support.

Then again, ask once more a year from now, if there's no progressive reform between now and then. You might get a different answer.

I believe it is 86% of Americans are OK with an increase on taxes on the top 1%...
Of course they are...because it doesnt affect them.

If you took a poll asking who wants free food for life....I bet 86% would say yes.

That is not truly indicative of the will of the people.

Now...if the poll asked this....

"Would you be for the governemnt raisning taxes on a certain percentage of the American people to help with our debt, but those chosen will be random and from any income bracket, except those within the poverty level..."

I bet the only ones for it would be those within the poverty level....

When you look at polls like that, you need to consider human nature JosefK....

Okay, so the same applies to gay marriage, right? If a majority of Americans are in favor of prohibiting it, but it doesn't actually apply to any of them, it's not really the will of the people, right?

Actually, from this Independents stance, it is a somewhat positive stance for reason.

Not a problem.

The only problem is the new Radical Republicans and their willingness to be reasonable.

Boehner needs to get fired.

Why, for doing his job and doing what’s best for America?

You rightists are a bizarre lot.

Forum List

Back