John Boehner: Debt Deal Will Include New Tax Revenues

Discussion in 'Politics' started by J.E.D, Nov 4, 2011.

  1. J.E.D
    Offline

    J.E.D What's tha matta?

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2011
    Messages:
    11,520
    Thanks Received:
    1,861
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Ratings:
    +3,047
    Looks like Obama's winning message is finally getting to the GOP. Of course, Boehner is talking about reforming the tax code, not raising rates. It seems that he's pushing for a flat tax. So, the fight over how revenues will be raised will be another story; nevertheless, this is a good sign for Dems.

     
  2. Jarhead
    Offline

    Jarhead Gold Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2010
    Messages:
    20,665
    Thanks Received:
    2,375
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Ratings:
    +3,415
    this has nothing to do with Obama making headway, the GOP giving in, the Dems getting good news.

    This has to do with congress hearing the people.
     
  3. J.E.D
    Offline

    J.E.D What's tha matta?

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2011
    Messages:
    11,520
    Thanks Received:
    1,861
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Ratings:
    +3,047
    I disagree. Republicans have been ignoring the peoples' will on this issue. According to numerous polls, Americans by a clear majority (including Republicans) want taxes to be on the table; but Republicans have been completely unwilling to even consider taxes as part of a deal. As recently as a couple of months back, Boehner said that taxes are a nonstarter in the deficit deal. Now, after Obama has been traveling the country using the bully pulpit to get his message out, Boehner (and 40 GOP Reps who signed a letter asking the deficit commission to put taxes on the table) are changing their tune. I believe this is a direct result of Obama's efforts.
     
  4. J.E.D
    Offline

    J.E.D What's tha matta?

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2011
    Messages:
    11,520
    Thanks Received:
    1,861
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Ratings:
    +3,047
    :clap2:
     
  5. Jarhead
    Offline

    Jarhead Gold Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2010
    Messages:
    20,665
    Thanks Received:
    2,375
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Ratings:
    +3,415
    lets clarify something...

    I believe it is 86% of Americans are OK with an increase on taxes on the top 1%...
    Of course they are...because it doesnt affect them.

    If you took a poll asking who wants free food for life....I bet 86% would say yes.

    That is not truly indicative of the will of the people.

    Now...if the poll asked this....

    "Would you be for the governemnt raisning taxes on a certain percentage of the American people to help with our debt, but those chosen will be random and from any income bracket, except those within the poverty level..."

    I bet the only ones for it would be those within the poverty level....

    When you look at polls like that, you need to consider human nature JosefK....
     
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  6. Jarhead
    Offline

    Jarhead Gold Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2010
    Messages:
    20,665
    Thanks Received:
    2,375
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Ratings:
    +3,415
    I can say it this way...

    What do you think the poll results will be if you asked...

    "would you be in favor of government taking 99% of the money from the top 1% of the people and divie it up equally and give it to the other 99%"

    Do you believe the results would be anything less than 86% saying Yes?

    So that being said.....should government heed to the will of the people in this case?
     
  7. CrusaderFrank
    Offline

    CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

    Joined:
    May 20, 2009
    Messages:
    86,644
    Thanks Received:
    15,881
    Trophy Points:
    2,210
    Ratings:
    +45,243
    Boehner needs to get fired.
     
  8. ScreamingEagle
    Offline

    ScreamingEagle Gold Member

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2004
    Messages:
    13,153
    Thanks Received:
    1,661
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Ratings:
    +2,508
    what is Boehner attempting....to negotiate next years election platform....?
     
  9. Chris
    Offline

    Chris Gold Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2008
    Messages:
    23,154
    Thanks Received:
    1,959
    Trophy Points:
    205
    Ratings:
    +2,093
    OMG!!!

    The speaker of the House is actually going to stand up to Grover Norquist.

    Unbelievable!
     
  10. Flopper
    Offline

    Flopper Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2010
    Messages:
    17,012
    Thanks Received:
    3,020
    Trophy Points:
    280
    Location:
    Washington
    Ratings:
    +6,330
    I seriously doubt that Cons in the House are going let any tax increase pass. A flat tax such as the 9-9-9 plan which would be a big tax cut for the wealthy would probably pass.
     

Share This Page