John Adams

yeah, it's pretty good so far...wonder if Abigail Adams was really that much of a power?

From what their letters show she was. He was at his best when she was around. When he didn't communicate with her (like he did for some time while he was in France) he tended to not to use the wisest of words.

I read "John Adams" by David McCullough. It was like eating sawdust. Yawn.

I read the book as well and did not get the same reaction you did. After reading the book, I felt that John Adams had been short-changed by history for the contributions he made to the founding of this country.

The whole series is posted on the HBO On Demand as they are run on the HBO. When the series is finished playing out, it will be available as a whole on the On Demand at Comcast.

I read the book as well and did not get the same reaction you did. After reading the book, I felt that John Adams had been short-changed by history for the contributions he made to the founding of this country.

Agree. Great book. I also read his 1776, which was fantastic (though a bit hard going in places).

His biography of Truman is sitting on the bedside tadle at present, but I'm gonna have to psych myself up for that one. It's a monster!

David McCullough's John Adams is one of the best books I've ever read. I'm current reading McCullough's bio of Harry Truman and it is fascinating as well. I haven't been able to catch any of this series but look forward to watching it.

acludem

yeah, it's pretty good so far...wonder if Abigail Adams was really that much of a power?

Lynne Whithey wrote a biography of Abigail Adams which is available on Amazon. The letters are also available there, in book form.

Used copies are very inexpensive.

I think he was a lot more than he was eally given credit for.

I am looking forward to reading the book.

It was his son, John Quincy Adams, at 74, who appeared before the SCOTUS on behalf of the Amistad Africans.

Agree. Great book. I also read his 1776, which was fantastic (though a bit hard going in places).

His biography of Truman is sitting on the bedside tadle at present, but I'm gonna have to psych myself up for that one. It's a monster!

I haven't read his book on Truman yet. I've started reading his book on Teddy Roosevelt (Mornings on Horseback). It's as interesting and well written as his other historical books.

What really irks me about Adams was how he gave in to spite and cut the Naval procurements before leaving office.

Those ships would have been usefull against the Barbary Pirates.

Forum List

Back