Joggers hurt in buzzard attacks

hjmick

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2007
Charleston, SC
They have buzzards in England? Who knew? :eusa_eh:

Joggers have been left bloodied and scarred following a spate of attacks by buzzards.

By Roya Nikkhah
Published: 9:00PM BST 18 Jul 2009

buzzard_1445959c.jpg

It is like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds, with unsuspecting victims swooped on by avian attackers.

Stuart Urquhart, a solicitor from Bristol, was on holiday with his wife and two children in Helford, Cornwall, when he suffered three six-inch cuts to his head in a buzzard attack.

Mr Urquhart, 36, was jogging on a quiet lane near a river at around 9am, when he felt a searing pain in the back of his head before turning around to see a buzzard flying away.

He said: "I thought somebody had thrown some heavy sacking or carpet at me but I couldn't see anyone. I carried on a few paces and then saw blood running down me and noticed a buzzard flying off into the trees.

"I have brown hair and I wasn't sure if the buzzard had mistaken me for a big, slow rabbit, so I decided not to take any chances, and invested in a hat."

Mr Urquhart, who was given a tetanus injection after the attack earlier this month, spotted the buzzard two days later on a telegraph pole. It swooped down with its talons out but Mr Urquhart managed to dive out of the way...

I had never really thought about it. Imagine my surprise.

No hummingbirds in Hawaii though...

That I will take your word for it, I've never seen a documentary on humming birds. Sometimes I sit through odd shows but it's pretty random on what I watch.

That I will take your word for it, I've never seen a documentary on humming birds. Sometimes I sit through odd shows but it's pretty random on what I watch.

I learned that from Alton Brown on Iron Chef America. Apparently, pollinating the pineapple is a bad thing.

Joggers have been left bloodied and scarred following a spate of attacks by buzzards.

By Roya Nikkhah

buzzard_1445959c.jpg

It is like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds, with unsuspecting victims swooped on by avian attackers.

Stuart Urquhart, a solicitor from Bristol, was on holiday with his wife and two children in Helford, Cornwall, when he suffered three six-inch cuts to his head in a buzzard attack.

Mr Urquhart, 36, was jogging on a quiet lane near a river at around 9am, when he felt a searing pain in the back of his head before turning around to see a buzzard flying away.

He said: "I thought somebody had thrown some heavy sacking or carpet at me but I couldn't see anyone. I carried on a few paces and then saw blood running down me and noticed a buzzard flying off into the trees.

"I have brown hair and I wasn't sure if the buzzard had mistaken me for a big, slow rabbit, so I decided not to take any chances, and invested in a hat."

Mr Urquhart, who was given a tetanus injection after the attack earlier this month, spotted the buzzard two days later on a telegraph pole. It swooped down with its talons out but Mr Urquhart managed to dive out of the way...

Here in America we call them hawks.

Buzzards attacking people?

That's rather unlike them, isn't it?

I mean they're enormous birds, but they're carrion eaters.

Something triggered those attacks.

Not a clue what it was but carrion eaters are notoriously shy when it comes to getting into battles with living creatures, aren't they?

BTW, I love vultures and buzzards. Amazing flyers.

They stink like you wouldn't believe, though.

Buzzards attacking people?

That's rather unlike them, isn't it?

I mean they're enormous birds, but they're carrion eaters.

Something triggered those attacks.

Not a clue what it was but carrion eaters are notoriously shy when it comes to getting into battles with living creatures, aren't they?

BTW, I love vultures and buzzards. Amazing flyers.

They stink like you wouldn't believe, though.

as someone else mentioned, in the US the buzzards are called hawks. they eat almost everything, insects, small mammals, carrion, they especially like roadkill. that's why they hang out near the autobahn and sometimes end up as roadkill, too if they get too greedy or have bad timing.

maybe this jogger was reaaaaaaaaallly slooooooow.

EDIT:second buzzard attack

Ciaran Nelson from the RSPB said it is likely the attacks were carried out by the same bird, whose behaviour indicates it is trying to protect its young.

"At this time of year if the buzzard has young preparing to fledge, it will see almost anything as a potential threat to its family and environment," he said.

"Put simply it is doing what comes naturally."

Last edited:
Ah, I see. Bloody English language. When are the English ever going to learn how to speak it correctly, one wonders.

So it was Hawk attacks, not buzzard attacks?.

Entirely different birds of a feather those.

Yeah, I can see a hawk attacking people if that hawk thought it or its fledglings were threatened.

Hawks don't take much BS.

which was it a buzzard or a hawk...both will attack if you are close to the nest....that was some attack however...a buzzard is a carrion...the are hardly combative...a hawk however will dive bomb you....that is the thing that gives smaller birds the advantage..if you have seen a group of sparrows on a hawk...they will stay on top of the hawk...hitting him from above...the hawk is defenseless...he can only dive bomb...he can do nothing to the sparrows if they stay above him and attack in a little mob....

and i agree with you ed...when will they come around....a crisp...shagging is not dancing...hello that would have been good to know up front....

Nice people, the English, but their mastery of the English language is awful.

Thank god for them they have us Americans around to help them get it right.

o and if you watch their tv..they mock us...endlessly....canada is really bad...our neigbors to the north...make fun of us...daily on tv....

Buzzards in the US are not hawks, ppl.

We have a few different types. None of them are hawks. Perhaps the brits call hawks buzzards, but I don't think so. Hawks in the US do not eat carrion. Eagles will, sometimes.

Buzzards Bounce Back in U.K., Sparking Cull Debate

Buzzards will puke on you when they feel threatened.

We have a huge population of some sort of carrion birds who roosted in the trees next to the house I lived in before this one. They have red around their eyes, otherwise they're black and soar all over the place and used to drop ratty feathers in my yard.

tvbaccus.jpg

Not a hawk.

Buzzards in the US are not hawks, ppl.

We have a few different types. None of them are hawks. Perhaps the brits call hawks buzzards, but I don't think so. Hawks in the US do not eat carrion. Eagles will, sometimes.

Buzzards Bounce Back in U.K., Sparking Cull Debate

Buzzards will puke on you when they feel threatened.

We have a huge population of some sort of carrion birds who roosted in the trees next to the house I lived in before this one. They have red around their eyes, otherwise they're black and soar all over the place and used to drop ratty feathers in my yard.

tvbaccus.jpg

Not a hawk.

Thanks for the update.

Yeah that's a buzzard of some kind or the other.

Hereabouts buzzards don't attack people.

Clearly you English people must be doing something that annoys them.

Perhaps calling them hawks is what set them off.

FYI, American bald eagles eat a LOT of carrion.

Ospreys, however, I am informed only eat fresh kill

Eagles will eat carrion. I've seen them on deer carcasses. I don 't know that they eat a LOT. They also kill baby deer.

By Roya Nikkhah

buzzard_1445959c.jpg

Here in America we call them hawks.

In Britain we call them hawks as well. Except if they are buzzards.

Forum List

Back