JOE THEISMANN in 1970 DRAFT

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
wasn't drafted until the 4th round

Outplayed OJ Simpson in the 1968 game and passed for 526 yards against USC in 1970.

Should have won the Heismann ove r Jim Plunkett.

Joe was a pretty good Quarterback. Not sure where he belongs historically. That Redskins team he was on was one of the greats, then again notice he was part of it.

The younger Theisman predates me watching football. His pre-Redskins NFL career was ok I suppose. Riggins and the hogs won that 82 game against Miami.

Interesting in that regard he has been paired with Plunkett. Jim won in what, 80 and 83 with the Raiders. Second time over Washington, go Marcus Allen.

The 80s "Skins were phenominal !!!
John Riggins - #44 - was my favorite. One hell of a RB. Theisman - hell of a QB.

I remember Joe returning punts for Miami till he got traded to the Skins

Damn good QB till he ran into LT

John Riggins - #44 - was my favorite. One hell of a RB. Theisman - hell of a QB.

As a Giants fan, Riggins was the one back I hated to face. More than Dorsett, Payton or Dickerson. Riggins would just wear down the Defense and keep moving the chains with those 4-5 yard runs.

As a Giants fan, Riggins was the one back I hated to face. More than Dorsett, Payton or Dickerson. Riggins would just wear down the Defense and keep moving the chains with those 4-5 yard runs.

He was fun to watch. That's for sure....

I remember when you would play Riggins, he would have 25 yards mid-way through the third quarter and you would think.."We got Riggins number today"

By the fourth quarter the Defense was shot and Riggins is dragging two or three guys for first downs. You just couldn't get the offense off the field and Riggins would end up with 125 yards by the end of the game.

Guy was a bull

He was fun to watch. That's for sure....

I remember when you would play Riggins, he would have 25 yards mid-way through the third quarter and you would think.."We got Riggins number today"

By the fourth quarter the Defense was shot and Riggins is dragging two or three guys for first downs. You just couldn't get the offense off the field and Riggins would end up with 125 yards by the end of the game.

Guy was a bull

He always broke 100 yards - and that was a big deal back then.

I remember Joe returning punts for Miami till he got traded to the Skins

Damn good QB till he ran into LT

Joe T never played for Miami. Went to the CFL and played there for about 3 years -before being signed by the Redskins.

Expected to play right away.

Chaffed being a backup to Sonny Jurgenson and Billy Kilmer.

Was used as a kick returner and spot-punter. (got off a one yarder)

Once he became a starter -made the most of it.

Led theSkins to 2 Super Bowls - was the slam-dunk MVP in 52-3 rout by the NFC in the Pro Bowl. most lopsided Pro Bowl ever

May have made the Pro Football HOF if his career had not been cut short by LT.

I will never forget the night that Theisman's leg was broken. It was one of the most gruesome scenes that I have ever witnessed. Then, Gifford warns everyone how horrid it was and they kept playing it over and over.

Forum List

Back