Joe Montana -the best QB who has ever play the posistion

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
Won a SLAM DUNK National Championship at Notre Dame - outplayed the likes of Marino andElway in Super Bowlds

Was on the cover of Time Magazine in 1981

in 3rd nfl season

Last edited:
Joe Montana was indeed a very good quarterback but I'm not sure he would be considered the best ever. I'd say he's in the top five though.

If I were down by less than a TD with under 2 minutes, I'd want Joe Montana as QB.

He was very good...no he was outstanding.
But the best?
It is hard to say, there are more variables than just the QB.
How good was the defensive line and the receivers.
If you have a QB with Hall of Fame receivers and great protection - almost any NFL QB will put up great numbers.
The likes of Tom Brady, Marino, Bradshaw, Elway...they were all great among others.
But I don't think anyone can definitely say this person or that person is the best ever - football is a team sport, therefore the success of a single player depends greatly on those around him.

If I were down by less than a TD with under 2 minutes, I'd want Joe Montana as QB.

I'd rather have Elway in that situation. He did that more than anyone else, and with less to work with. He didn't have Rice, Taylor, Clark, etc.

The likes of John Unitas, Bart Starr, Len Dawson, Joe Namath etc all unegquivigal that Montana was the best ever.

Joe saw the game in slo-mo.

Best QB ever? He was a great QB but his numbers and wins were no better than Aikman's . I really think when it's all said and done Peyton Manning is the best ever.

Best QB ever? He was a great QB but his numbers and wins were no better than Aikman's . I really think when it's all said and done Peyton Manning is the best ever.

Four SB wins is tough to beat. Montana seemed to make the clock stand still when he was in a 2 min drill. Game on the line, Montana would find a way to beat you

Those 49er teams were some of the best I ever saw

Montana was perhaps the greatest. But the greatest and tougher competitor at QB I believe was Terry Bradshaw. He would have bit your (or his) balls off if that was what was needed for victory, I think. He wasn't 'big' for the day even then, 213 pounds. With almost no speed, he still gained more than 2,200 yards and scored more than 30 touchdowns on the ground.

If winning is what matters, then why is Brady not mentioned?

He did more in less time than just about any QB you can name.

If winning is what matters, then why is Brady not mentioned?

He did more in less time than just about any QB you can name.

In that case....Otto Graham

You can look it up. Nobody won more

Can you imagine how much better Montana would have been if Walsh and the 49er were stealing plays like the Patriots*?

It must have been tough on Montana to have only Rice, Taylor, Clark, and Craig to choose from out there.

Forum List

Back