Joe Miller's guards handcuff journalist

Goalposts were not moved.

"Nothing was done to the security guy, and nothing will be done, for a reason," he reiterated.

"He's just fodder for a blog nobody would read otherwise," he remarked.

What about Miller's views on border security?

The United States should borrow ideas from Communist East Germany to keep its borders secure, Alaska's Republican Senate candidate Joe Miller suggested at a town hall Sunday night.

"The first thing that has to be done is secure the border," Miller said when asked about illegal immigration into the United States, Alaskan blogger Steve Aufrecht first reported.

Miller continued, "East Germany was very, very able to reduce the flow. Now, obviously, other things were involved. We have the capacity to, as a great nation, secure the border. If East Germany could, we could."

The Tea Party-backed candidate, who is a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, explained that he once served at the Fulda Gap, a point on the former East-West German border. East Germany's border troops were given orders to shoot anyone trying to flee East Germany.

Following the same town hall meeting, a reporter for the Alaska Dispatch was handcuffed and detained by private security guards working for Miller while trying to ask Miller a question.

Joe Miller: Communist East Germany a Model for Border Security - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Quick question.........do the tea baggers know that East Germany's border security was designed to keep PEOPLE IN???????

Wonder if a fascist police state is what their ultimate goal is? By the way, aren't tea baggers AGAINST communism?

Last edited:
Joe Miller and his security team acted very, very badly. As a one time resident of several years in Alaska, I know this incident is going to harm in terms of percentage points, and he has very little to give to Murkowski. Alaskans will have real problems with what happened, whether they agree with Miller or not.

This guy will be the next Joe McCarthy, you watch. He is SO aggressive.

Why do these teapartiers fear the press so much? Afraid their views are a just a little too extreme for public consumption?

So now if you are a reporter you are allowed to assault people.

I must have missed the memo.

I find it interesting that partisanship shows so clearly in which version of the story people believe. Having seen how journalists operate these days, I'm inclined not to take what any journalist says as accurate. On the other hand, I'm not inclined to trust politicians either.

Suffice to say, I would prefer to see an unbiased report of what happened and why.

Revere, you are such a goof. :lol: You would be a guard on the fence in East Germany. That would match your personality to a T, you so much want to tell people what to do.

Sarah, I agree with you on the aggressiveness, but learn many Alaskans are that way because they have to be because of where they live. In Joe's case, however, the behavior is way over the top. He and his team are going to have to handle a law suit and possible arrest. The latter may happen this Friday.

The Tea Party is now the Fascist face of the new Millennium. They stand for intollerance and dogma. Of course they need to control their media outlets. Many of the people that are following them would think again if they knew exactly how extreme many of their views are.

But they will only be able to control the media for so long. The question is: Will they moderate their stances in order to remain relevant, or will they continue down the path of fascism and intollerance until they become another irrelevant political movement, short lived and inconsequential.

My money is on the latter.

Revere, you are such a goof. :lol: You would be a guard on the fence in East Germany. That would match your personality to a T, you so much want to tell people what to do.

Sarah, I agree with you on the aggressiveness, but learn many Alaskans are that way because they have to be because of where they live. In Joe's case, however, the behavior is way over the top. He and his team are going to have to handle a law suit and possible arrest. The latter may happen this Friday.

I know it's about where he lives and a survival instinct but it was impossibly ignorant to handcuff the guy.

So now if you are a reporter you are allowed to assault people.

I must have missed the memo.

I find it interesting that partisanship shows so clearly in which version of the story people believe. Having seen how journalists operate these days, I'm inclined not to take what any journalist says as accurate. On the other hand, I'm not inclined to trust politicians either.

Suffice to say, I would prefer to see an unbiased report of what happened and why.

but we can all agree that arresting someone and taking them somewhere is kidnapping and is illegal. That much we can see on video. Since that is wrong, his security detail is wrong for doing just that.

Some find excuses, ANY excuses to commit an illegal act i.e. "he's not a journalist, he's a blogger...laws dont apply to bloggers", "He's a journalist but he was pushy...laws dont apply to pushy people", "He assaulted him...laws dont apply to people who assault others"

They love law and order so much they will ignore it to make a point.

Intolerance of political operatives posing as journos.

The poseurs were Miller and the goons, not the journalist, who was clearly covered by the 1st Amendment. Your lies can't be covered, Revere.

I know it's about where he lives and a survival instinct but it was impossibly ignorant to handcuff the guy.

Of course it was! That is what may well give Murkowski the win, which is fine with me.

I missed that by Jack Fate, sarahg. If the American people do not realize what the Tea Party and the Jack Fates of America are doing, they will deserve what the TP and the corporatists will do to them. And all the screaming will not help until election day, and there may well not be one if they take party.

Of course it was! That is what may well give Murkowski the win, which is fine with me.

He isn't up that much to pull a crazy stunt like that. The one teabagger who looks like a sure win is Rubio. The rest are within striking distance.

Murkowski was less than 2% points behind before Miller and his boys imploded.

Revere, you stumble over your own lies, you goof.

Forum List

Back